2nd Flight, Crash video + Updated flight after the crash

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVXtzpjdiLM[/youtube]

Traveled 2 hours each way to pick this up from a guy on craigslist, got a pretty good deal. 3 batteries, DJI Phantom 2, go pro hero 3+ black edition, zenmuse h3-3d gimbal, specially made carrying backpack, 4 extra props, 32gb SD card, 7" LCD for FPV already setup, all for $1700.

As soon as I got done charging the batteries on everything I went to test it.

The first flight was great, but I got cocky on the second....

Ended up breaking 2 props in half (luckily I had extras) and deforming several parts of the aluminum H3-3D Zemuse. Luckily my dad was able to bend it back into shape, and it looks as though it will work perfectly.

Tomorrow I will test it out and see how it goes.

EDIT: Footage from flying today, the day after the accident

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G3K6Zf8ZLU[/youtube]

Re: 2nd Flight, Crash video

Turned battery on and took off right away, not good.

LordEvil said:
Turned battery on and took off right away, not good.

Are you referring to me not waiting for GPS to lock in? or is there something else I should be aware of?

Not trying to sound mean, but download the manual from dji website and read it all weekend before flying again. Learn to fly in gps mode before trying atti mode. Take it from me, I crashed my 1st p1 6 times before I stopped flying and read the manual about 4 times.

I agree you spent a lot of time and money getting the phantom. Take some time and read the manual beginning to end. The manual is well written and will be helpful. Have fun.

Nice crash! Phantoms don't like crashing at all. It is not a part of the game and there is no fun or any enjoyment repairing the damages. (Unless your dad is happy to pay for heavy bills.) Everytime you crash you may damage something externally or internally that may ground it for months.

Nick, first & foremost welcome to the world of UAVs. Don't feel alone - we've all crashed - some of us many times.

As many above mentioned - yes read the manual multiple times and understand all of the intricacies of DJI's flight controls. Also watch many Youtube videos on installs of gear you already have - gimbal, IOSD, etc... then you'll understand not only what they do but what the additions change to the Phantom - IE: weight, handling characteristics. Lastly read the forums, hook up w/others who fly & enjoy the sport/hobby.

There will likely be more problems come to light yet.
Lots of unwise stuff going on there even for an experienced user!
Most concerning was what looks like lack of waiting for both sets of rapid green flashes - unless a bit was edited out there.
Then... just slow down, gentle inputs gentle acceleration, deceleration and turns - a phantom with expensive gimbal is primarily for sedate video work not racing about ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind advice!

I've flown smaller RC Copters (Hubsan x4, the DJI FC40) for several months, so I thought I knew what I was doing.

I'm currently reading the manual while waiting for it to stop snowing.

youtube. watch youtube, watch everything ..

just my .02

whose 1700$ was it out of curiosity? did you pay for it?

if so some daytime flights and getting used to machine probably would be easier on wallet.

Welcome

Lots of good advice so far. I'd be tempted to pull he top off and take a look inside to make sure nothing got bumped loose. Hopefully you did a compass calibration before your first flight, I would definatley do it before the next flight . I like to power up and let it sit while it finds a home point. Then if I need to do a compass cal I do it then either way I power down for say 5-10 seconds and then power back on and wait for it to mark it's home point again. Once it's all green I'm good to go. I find by following this procedure I have a lot less chance of toilet bowl affect

capodrone81 said:
youtube. watch youtube, watch everything ..

just my .02

whose 1700$ was it out of curiosity? did you pay for it?

if so some daytime flights and getting used to machine probably would be easier on wallet.

My money.

Had about $3500 saved up from the last few years and decided this would be something fun to get

Chriserl said:
Welcome

Lots of good advice so far. I'd be tempted to pull he top off and take a look inside to make sure nothing got bumped loose. Hopefully you did a compass calibration before your first flight, I would definatley do it before the next flight . I like to power up and let it sit while it finds a home point. Then if I need to do a compass cal I do it then either way I power down for say 5-10 seconds and then power back on and wait for it to mark it's home point again. Once it's all green I'm good to go. I find by following this procedure I have a lot less chance of toilet bowl affect

I wouldn't know what to look for inside, but I flew it several more times today and it seems fine

and yeah I was flying in ATTI mode so I thought I didn't need the GPS since I just planned to do a short flight

I've since read up on how the GPS works and compass calibration and it should be all good I think

also, I updated the OP with video from today's flights

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik