2nd flight, and observations (with video)

And just so we're all on the same page, I am by no means a professional videographer/photographer. The video posted was a distance test behind a line of trees. It just so happened I was near the recycling plant so I hit record because it was an interesting subject (and one I could never get close enough to w/ my V+). The jello, OE, etc could have obviously been avoided if I cared about the shot and/or tried multiple passes. I simply wanted to get sample footage out to everyone since there really isn't much to look at yet. I have no problem with criticism, but don't treat that video as though it was a submission to the Best Fly By Of The Year contest. Clearly it was not. Carry on.

I am also struggling to decide on what to buy after shooting with the P2H4 combo.. I think the smart thing to do is just wait... I'm still getting great footage with it. it's just a complete pain in the **** to do post work from it's footage because its all big 4gig chunks that needs 70% of the transitional fat cut out. If I had the ability to start and stop and lock the exposure on the Hero4 I wouldn't even consider spending the money on anything new now.

Considering optical distortion on the cameras.....
I'm not completely convinced that the P3 is using the same lens as the inspire.. The slight barrel distortion on the inspire is nice and clean and consistent from edge to edge and the P3's isn't.. The Gopros all have the same exact barrel distortion regardless of FOV, because your not changing the optics when you switch FOV, your just doing a sensor crop, so you are still seeing the same distortion, your just not seeing the edges of the sensor, which has the greatest barrel distortion when compared to the center. But the Hero4 Barrel Distortion is clean and consistent across the entire frame.. Much easier to work with in post. Plus, I personally use the fisheye for some situations... So yes, the Distortion is still there in MED FOV on the GP, it's just not as apparent.

Sometimes when I boot up the P2, I end up with a tilted horizon. I fix this by just rebooting the gimbal. If it's straight before takeoff, it stays straight throughout the flight.

No issues with the P3 gimble not being level, but we only did a few quick flights and ground tests to specifically compare the image quality on the cameras on a chip chart.

For me, all the fluff and added features that the P3 adds is cool... But to be honest, I care mostly about raw footage quality..

Thanks for your comments - you definitely have a lot of knowledge on the subject. And thanks to the so called trolls or we wouldn't have your observations!

That video was 1:12 and was 352MB, so 20 mins about 6.5GB
IRT the shield, I've only recorded in MP4 and it plays it right off the card. My only complaint is it's way harder to add/remove the card in the tablet than it should be. Maybe my nails are too short, but I end up using a knife or screw driver every time.

Its good it plays the mp4 format straight of the card. Was hoping a 20 min flight would fall short of 4GB in order to not split it into 2 videos but hay ho you cant have it all. Thats were the editor on the app will come in to play. Sooner shoot in 1080/60 and have better quality. Thanks for taking the time to post back with the info. cheers

Considering your (I assume) a Professional Videographer and Editor, I am surprised that you think by changing a lens out on your GP is what fixed the prop strobing, Jello and low light problems..
Thanks

The stock lens on the H3+/4 is a 2.92mm f/2.8 what I installed was a 5.4mm f/2.5 10mp lens which has eliminated fisheye, prop strobing, jello/rolling shutter and low light problems when facing the sun. Never used ND filters on the GP camera and have not had any problems with shutter speed but I do have a yaw mod which gives me an extremely slow yaw.

Never really had any problems such as jello/rolling shutter or even low light with the stock lens except for the fisheye of which I'm no fan of. Fisheye can also be created in software if one so desires.

I purchase the lens from www.peauproductions.com and they carry lens with f-stop as low as 1.6. They also have replacement lens for the vision + cameras as well.

Thanks for the reply Jason.. That was an informative and positive post..

I too have the 5.4 on my 3+

I have read a little bit about the hero5 which should debut in October 2015. Some reports state it will have 2 swappable lenses for 3d with rumors of 8k.. But 8k on that tiny chip.. I don't think so. We will see.

Thanks again for the post.

This forum need a "block" option
good video, Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
I swear, some of them are just like the poo flinging animals at the zoo.

Thanks for the video, looked good.

UPS tracking says my P3 made it to the local distribution center late Friday, so it will be "Out For Delivery" on Monday morning. :)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4