2nd flight, and observations (with video)

Of course not. Trolls don't have a point. They just like to hear themselves talk. It makes them feel better about themselves.
Agreed, but it's equally fun reminding them
I made my point regrading DJI PR hype about the new camera on the P3's.
Raw footage with jello, prop shadow and poor light when facing the sun is not what I would call good.

Then there's the case of one falling from the sky. Not good.
tuck your tail between your legs and head on to the next thread. Pwned here.

jason should be able to speak his opinion. The way I see this is he has only pointed out that he doesn't like DJI or their products. Unless I missed it, he didn't direct anything at bbfpv.

He has some how managed to make over 900 post, so I would say that this is just how he is. Those that are around him on a regular basis probably say "oh that's just jason and he is easy to be taken the wrong way".

But he does need to see that he is being taken wrong and either stop, or move on.

bbfpv, I was just starting to get into your vid, and it was over. I watched the smoke for some of that 25mph wind gust but there was none to be seen. Anyway...thanks for sharing the video regardless of how good or bad it was.

-Frank

You have to chuckle hearing such anti-P3 bitterness.
The thing is - you only hear it from people that don't have a P3.
It would be a lot more persuasive if it was owners making comments like this but those that fly a P3 all sing a very different song.
Thanks bbfpv for posting your video and impressions.
Can't wait to get mine. All indications are that it will be a very useful flying camera.

Reactions: bbfpv and Buzz313th
Why did you cut up the part where it RTH, is it cause you lost signal by putting the cheminy between you and the Phantom ! And on RTH it hit the cheminy ?
Cause looking at trajectory and possible line of sight it looks like there's a high probability of RTH causing a crash into that cheminy.
Looks like a high probability you have no idea.
When the video stops he's 100 metres away from the chimney and you have no idea where the pilot is.
You think he crashed, it fell from the sky and he's gone into the power station and retrieved the Phantom and repaired the file to show us this much?
I think you're reading between lines that aren't even there.

Reactions: Buzz313th
Jason... you being a bitter little boy. Grow Up Bro... I have the P2 with Hero 3, 3+ and 4.. and I just flew my buddy's P3 yesterday.. Comparing the footage I would say the P3 is on par with image quality comparing it to the Hero 4. The P3 camera is also spitting out another 2-4 mbs more data as well.. Furthermore, the P3 holds on to 4k a bit better than the Hero 4 does. Combine that with auto exposure lock, a locked ISO of 100 the Hero 4 does not have and soon to be released ND filter packs and your gonna be even more bitter.

Personally, I can't stand people like you that come visit the forum just to stir up ****... You would feel a lot better if you were honest with yourself...

Here's my comparison of MY Hero4 footage vs the footage from the P3...

The Hero4 has about a half stop more dynamic range in the shadows than the P3, but unless you crush the blacks it's a bit noisy, so that's a wash..

The Hero4's native ISO is 400.. that's the lowest. The P3 goes down to 100. Less noise on the P3 and better contrast, but as I said at a slight loss of dynamic range.. I believe for a dedicated aerial camera, that's ok.

You can't lock the exposure on the Hero4, so as the lighting in the scene changes so does your exposure.. With the P3, you can turn on Auto Exposure Lock.. Pretty important unless you wanna spend hours in speedgrade setting keyframes along the timeline to fight the autoexposure changes on the Hero4..

Yes there is distortion at the edges of frame in the P3, but same with the Hero4 in Med FOV.. One good thing about the Hero 4, if you want a fisheye look you got it..

Those points are the exact reasons why I'm **** close to pulling the trigger on a P3, Inspire or possibly just waiting on the Hero5, or a S900.. I can't decide... The one thing IMHO the P3 has going against it is that I don't like the idea of not being able to change out the camera.. I would personally feel more comfortable with the vehicle being separated from the camera so I can upgrade the camera if I want...

You made yourself look like a donkey... Because there is Jello, prop strobing and frame strobing on the Hero 4 just like there is on the P3.. You just gotta use certain techniques to avoid it.. Your comment about a bad exposure looking into the sun is a joke.. If I pointed my H4 into that scene, it woulda underexposed as well.. The P3 can avoid that if the operator who shot that video locked the exposure.

The bottom line is this.... When you take everything into consideration, including image quality, at this point in time the P3 is a better aerial platform than the P2 H4 combo period. If I was going to shoot for a client and I had both platforms at my disposal, right now I would choose the P3.

So obviously by his first post an ugly dweller of the bottom side of bridges. Probably angry he spent all that money on upgrading his P2, and that he can't afford a new P3.
Oh, and about the lag and the Nvidia Shield. I researched before I bought mine, and it seems that the Facebook app causes a lot of trouble on that tablet. It seems to cause lag opening even the most basic of apps on some of them. I love mine, upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and the difference is night and day. Screenshot below

Screenshot_2015-05-02_18-44-11.png

Took it up in the daylight this time, but wanted to see how it handled the wind. 25mph gusts, no problem... The v+ used to bob up and down in gusts, the P3 was all but oblivious to it. Decided to fly it out a bit farther and recorded the linked video. This was about 5500ft, way beyond what I could get with my v+ even with the itelite DBS antenna mod because of a line of trees btwn me and the factory. I lost fpv at this point and it RTH. Video is 1080/60 unedited, and I have not calibrated the gimbal yet.
Btw, the Nvidia Shield in direct sun at max brightness was not bad at all. I just turned my back to the sun and it was perfectly usable without a hood/anti-glare film.

Great video and brave flight, really need mine to arrive now. Filming in 1080/60 what is the file size of a typical 20 min flight, and does the shield play the memory card straight out the camera in either the MP4 or MOV format the camera films in. cheers guys

Jason... you being a bitter little boy. Grow Up Bro... I have the P2 with Hero 3, 3+ and 4.. and I just flew my buddy's P3 yesterday.. Comparing the footage I would say the P3 is on par with image quality comparing it to the Hero 4. The P3 camera is also spitting out another 2-4 mbs more data as well.. Furthermore, the P3 holds on to 4k a bit better than the Hero 4 does. Combine that with auto exposure lock, a locked ISO of 100 the Hero 4 does not have and soon to be released ND filter packs and your gonna be even more bitter.

Personally, I can't stand people like you that come visit the forum just to stir up ****... You would feel a lot better if you were honest with yourself...

The Hero4 has about a half stop more dynamic range in the shadows than the P3, but unless you crush the blacks it's a bit noisy, so that's a wash..

The Hero4's native ISO is 400.. that's the lowest. The P3 goes down to 100. Less noise on the P3 and better contrast, but as I said at a slight loss of dynamic range.. I believe for a dedicated aerial camera, that's ok.

You can't lock the exposure on the Hero4, so as the lighting in the scene changes so does your exposure.. With the P3, you can turn on Auto Exposure Lock.. Pretty important unless you wanna spend hours in speedgrade setting keyframes along the timeline to fight the autoexposure changes on the Hero4..

Yes there is distortion at the edges of frame in the P3, but same with the Hero4 in Med FOV.. One good thing about the Hero 4, if you want a fisheye look you got it..

Those points are the exact reasons why I'm **** close to pulling the trigger on a P3, Inspire or possibly just waiting on the Hero5, or a S900.. I can't decide... The one thing IMHO the P3 has going against it is that I don't like the idea of not being able to change out the camera.. I would personally feel more comfortable with the vehicle being separated from the camera so I can upgrade the camera if I want...

You made yourself look like a donkey... Because there is Jello, prop strobing and frame strobing on the Hero 4 just like there is on the P3.. You just gotta use certain techniques to avoid it.. Your comment about a bad exposure looking into the sun is a joke.. If I pointed my H4 into that scene, it woulda underexposed as well.. The P3 can avoid that if the operator who shot that video locked the exposure.

The bottom line is this.... When you take everything into consideration, including image quality, at this point in time the P3 is a better aerial platform than the P2 H4 combo period. If I was going to shoot for a client and I had both platforms at my disposal, right now I would choose the P3.

I have a P2 H4blck with a gimbal issue - So or I buy a new gimbal or I buy the P3 and I'm trying to figure what to chose from by watching footage posted of the P3.
So thanks for your write up summarizing both.
I just find the P3s distortion quite large on some occasions when compared to the H4 Med FOV @ 2.7k 60fps (too bad that resolution is missing on the P3).
Here is a footage where a bridge appears to be slanted.
Watch the right bridge between 5:06 to 5:20
Would you say the H4 would have similar distortions in Med FOV?

Did you have any issues with horizon not being level on your buddys P3?

Last edited:

I wouldn't be so quick to say it just, "Fell out of the sky." Put your detective hat on. The guy is so destraught, what's the first thing he does. He "emails" DJI. If that happened to me, I would be on the phone and I wouldn't hang up until I got someone on the line.

I made my point regrading DJI PR hype about the new camera on the P3's.
Raw footage with jello, prop shadow and poor light when facing the sun is not what I would call good.

I don't know how to take your comments since you bash DJI yet you proudly list your own equipment below your posts and have Phantom as your avatar. Because of that it is hard not to take your comments as trolling. Anyhow, I would not judge P3 just based on this footage, which (according to your posts) you are doing. There are so much stunning footage out there already that I find it really odd that people say P3 sucks (other than trolls). Good luck finding equivalent system with the same price. Also, no reason to be mad at P3, your P2 is still an awesome system!

Reactions: dalebb
I have a P2 H4blck with a gimbal issue - So or I buy a new gimbal or I buy the P3 and I'm trying to figure what to chose from by watching footage posted of the P3.
I just find the P3s distortion quite large on some occasions when compared to the H4 Med FOV @ 2.7k 60fps (too bad that resolution is missing on the P3).

The horizon is tilted in this whole video. Camera is not in balance at all. Needs calibration.

So obviously by his first post an ugly dweller of the bottom side of bridges. Probably angry he spent all that money on upgrading his P2, and that he can't afford a new P3.
Oh, and about the lag and the Nvidia Shield. I researched before I bought mine, and it seems that the Facebook app causes a lot of trouble on that tablet. It seems to cause lag opening even the most basic of apps on some of them. I love mine, upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and the difference is night and day. Screenshot below

View attachment 18384
Thanks for that report. I'm looking at the Shield but was concerned about some lag reports. How do you find the screen reflectivity?
Thanks.

I really appreciate early footage and that people are willing to put it up online. I only noticed the jello at the start for a few seconds and who cares about prop flicker on an unedited quick upload, its a $1K quadcopter not something built for a movie studio. The jello may have been worse but I was taken by the flying and the subject.

Thanks for the upload and nice job.

The reason I commented on the poor video quality was the fuss many had made over the P3 and DJI PR hype over the new camera. Yes I have a GoPro on my platform but without the fisheye, jello, prop strobing and low light problems when shooting in either Ultra HD format. Reason I have none of those problems with the H3+ is simple I replaced the lens.

As a videographer and editor for many years and I know the difference between edited and raw footage and what I've seen in both clips is not ideal.

I do not have to have a P3 to make comments no matter how harsh they may be without being labeled a troll. Whether or not you or others like or dislike what I have or the way in which it was said I am entitled to my opinion.

Last edited:
Tone down the vitriol and be a little less critical, and replace your first post with that last post and most of this thread wouldn't have even occurred.....that's all we are saying...

Reactions: bbfpv
The reason I commented on the poor video quality was the fuss many had made over the P3 and DJI PR hype over the new camera. Yes I have a GoPro on my platform but without the fisheye, jello, prop strobing and low light problems when shooting in either Ultra HD format. Reason I have none of those problems with the H3+ is simple I replaced the lens.

As a videographer and editor for many years and I know the difference between edited and raw footage and what I've seen in both clips is not ideal.

I do not have to have a P3 to make comments no matter how harsh they may be without being labeled a troll. Whether or not you or others like or dislike what I have or the way in which it was said I am entitled to my opinion.

Considering your (I assume) a Professional Videographer and Editor, I am surprised that you think by changing a lens out on your GP is what fixed the prop strobing, Jello and low light problems..

Prop strobing is not caused by the lens. Its caused by having too fast of an electronic shutter speed and catching a segment of the prop shadow in the exposure. Your replaced lens is perfectly capable of getting prop strobing just like every other lens.. Unless of course you have found a super secret GP lens that has an adjustable iris where you can stop down to bring the Shutter speed down to an exposure that allows a full rotation of the prop in one frame... But I doubt that's the case.

Jello, is again not an effect caused by optics or a lens.. Jello is caused by having too fast of shutter speed combined with rapid frame movement on a camera that has an electronic rolling shutter which captures the exposure in a progressive manner.. Segments of the frame (progressive scan lines) are captured in too much detail due to the extremely fast shutter speed. This results in different portions of the same frame are recorded at a different time.. So once again, how is it that your lens swap fixed Jello?

Low Light problems... ?? The only way I can think of that your lens replacement fixed GoPro low light problems, is because the new lens was faster than a 2.8.. right? Mind me asking where you got it? Because if you have a hookup where I can get a 1.4 or even 2.0 for a gopro, I'm buying it now.. If you replaced the gopro lens with another 2.8 or something slower, then you haven't improved your low light performance.

Personally, I think your Full Of It... And why did I take the time to write this instead of just ignoring it? Because I would appreciate, if the next time you decide to chime in, you do so in some sorta positive manner...

Thanks

I am also struggling to decide on what to buy after shooting with the P2H4 combo.. I think the smart thing to do is just wait... I'm still getting great footage with it. it's just a complete pain in the **** to do post work from it's footage because its all big 4gig chunks that needs 70% of the transitional fat cut out. If I had the ability to start and stop and lock the exposure on the Hero4 I wouldn't even consider spending the money on anything new now.

Considering optical distortion on the cameras.....
I'm not completely convinced that the P3 is using the same lens as the inspire.. The slight barrel distortion on the inspire is nice and clean and consistent from edge to edge and the P3's isn't.. The Gopros all have the same exact barrel distortion regardless of FOV, because your not changing the optics when you switch FOV, your just doing a sensor crop, so you are still seeing the same distortion, your just not seeing the edges of the sensor, which has the greatest barrel distortion when compared to the center. But the Hero4 Barrel Distortion is clean and consistent across the entire frame.. Much easier to work with in post. Plus, I personally use the fisheye for some situations... So yes, the Distortion is still there in MED FOV on the GP, it's just not as apparent.

Sometimes when I boot up the P2, I end up with a tilted horizon. I fix this by just rebooting the gimbal. If it's straight before takeoff, it stays straight throughout the flight.

No issues with the P3 gimble not being level, but we only did a few quick flights and ground tests to specifically compare the image quality on the cameras on a chip chart.

For me, all the fluff and added features that the P3 adds is cool... But to be honest, I care mostly about raw footage quality..

I really do hope that someone with the knowledge of how to get the very best from the P3's camera and its available settings writes up a short but informative tutorial for beginners and that it is posted as a sticky. It would be invaluable as a reference for those of us that are learning as we go along.

Reactions: tjewell71
Great video and brave flight, really need mine to arrive now. Filming in 1080/60 what is the file size of a typical 20 min flight, and does the shield play the memory card straight out the camera in either the MP4 or MOV format the camera films in. cheers guys
That video was 1:12 and was 352MB, so 20 mins about 6.5GB
IRT the shield, I've only recorded in MP4 and it plays it right off the card. My only complaint is it's way harder to add/remove the card in the tablet than it should be. Maybe my nails are too short, but I end up using a knife or screw driver every time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4