2500 foot distance with stock P2V+

Reaction score
I could hardly be happier with my P2V+ that arrived yesterday. The environment for this flight a few minutes ago had only a narrow line-of-sight remote control contact cone, if I had line of sight at all when the connection broke at 2500' distance.
http://youtu.be/qF8124kPCdc
No mods of any kind. I downgraded the controller firmware to version 1.08 to decrease the j-hooking and Toilet Bowl Effect that are inherent in versions 2.0 and 3.0.
Flying in central NJ, USA, where the compass magnetic declination is about minus 12.5 degrees. Wind speed about 7 or 8 mph at time of flight with very little gusting, considerably calmer than yesterday. Outgoing leg of flight was downwind, return was upwind. Temperature 42 degrees F.

Plainsboro! It looks great from up high. I'm in Princeton and will be getting a P2V+ very soon. Great footage.

jstn said:
Plainsboro! It looks great from up high. I'm in Princeton and will be getting a P2V+ very soon. Great footage.
Ahem! That is a Princeton address from which I'm flying, lol. One of those deals where the developer lobbied for the address they wanted and got it.

Great confidence in a brand new machine to take it out to its limits over houses, cars, AND water :shock:

I'm far too timid to do that and I only have an old obsolete (19-day old) P2V.

Holy shataki mushrooms! That was fricken awesome. Great range out of the box. I would have thought the P2V+ would have been required to run on V3. If thats the case I will definitely be going back to 1.08.

Bigbells said:
I could hardly be happier with my P2V+ that arrived yesterday. The environment for this flight a few minutes ago had only a narrow line-of-sight remote control contact cone, if I had line of sight at all when the connection broke at 2500' distance.
No mods of any kind. I downgraded the controller firmware to version 1.08 to decrease the j-hooking and Toilet Bowl Effect that are inherent in versions 2.0 and 3.0.
Flying in central NJ, USA, where the compass magnetic declination is about minus 12.5 degrees. Wind speed about 7 or 8 mph at time of flight with very little gusting, considerably calmer than yesterday. Outgoing leg of flight was downwind, return was upwind. Temperature 42 degrees F.

Awesome footage. I may end up with the plus yet! So, you had a solid video link at that distance?

skypup71 said:
Awesome footage. I may end up with the plus yet! So, you had a solid video link at that distance?
Thank you! Yes, I still had the video link. It was the control link that was lost first, although the video link disappeared for a few seconds right after the P2V+ entered "Going Home" flight mode.

I must say that the distance results from this flight were NOT typical of my flights from this general location. It seems that flying in the direction that I flew usually produces longer-distance connectivity than any other direction, but the conditions must have been ideal. I would not normally expect more than 1500 feet.

I don't have enough flights with the P2V+ to establish a reliable "average distance" yet, but I can safely say that if I've got line-of-sight to the aircraft, I've always got both camera and control connection to at least 1000 feet.

Not as pretty a flight because it was at higher altitude, faster, and at dusk, but got to 2500' for the second day in a row before losing the remote control connection:
20140418VisionScreenshot.jpg

Here's the flight video:
http://youtu.be/-CfMi-Z2VCI

Bigbells said:

Did you get distance out of the box in CE or did you turn screw on remote controller to FCC mode? Also, what is j-hooking and Toilet Bowl Effect?

tedw123 said:
Did you get distance out of the box in CE or did you turn screw on remote controller to FCC mode? Also, what is j-hooking and Toilet Bowl Effect?
As soon as I put batteries in the RC and turned it on, it beeped twice, indicating that the RC was in FCC mode out of the box, which surprised me.

J-hooking is when the quad moves to the right or left and then backs up a tad after a straight forward run, before settling on a hover spot.

Toilet Bowl Effect is when you're trying to hover in GPS mode and the quad travels in a circle, like water swirling in a flushed toilet, instead of staying in a more or less constant spot.

I don't mean to go off topic and actually sent you a message. If I do a fast climb my gimbal shakes a bit. Does yours?

Hi, you guys touched on the CE vs FCC mode, does CE actually restrict the distant you remain in control vs FCC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doono said:
Hi, you guys touched on the CE vs FCC mode, does CE actually restrict the distant you remain in control vs FCC?
The FCC allows a more powerful signal from the remote controller to the Phantom than does the CE. Both restrict the strength of the signal. The effect on distance is indirect. In general, a more powerful signal can keep in touch with the Phantom at a greater distance than a less powerful signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20