$25 leveling board

I doubt a piece of wood with two hardware store levels attached to it is a "certified level" surface, let alone a perfect surface.
I always try to take off from a surface that is as close to level as I can get it - I have a couple of quads that will fly with the same angle/tilt that they launched with and it can throw everything off.

I have UAV bits' landing pad
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
which I attach to a tripod and use a round bubble level sitting on top of the quad (removed before launching). Works great for launching and landing on slopes.
Taking off from a solid surface is a good idea for several reasons. Mostly so there is nothing for the LG to grab and catch on, and to prevent damage to the props and camera lens from flying debris

How would a HVAC system running in the home change the pressure?
It will change the pressure some-- but I don't know whether it has an effect on the IMU-- I did mine in the house with the AC running full tilt and all went well.

It will change the pressure some-- but I don't know whether it has an effect on the IMU-- I did mine in the house with the AC running full tilt and all went well.
And I do my calibrations on my slanted yard.. Thats kinda the point. There is no way everyone can do a calibration in a hermetically sealed chamber of perfection. So they (DJI) cant successfully create something that requires perfection to function properly. Do you actually know what eh variation in air pressure is from 30 feet to 40 feet? I dont know exactly, but its very insignificant! But being level has no bearing on pressure. And Being level has no bearing on a gyro. All that really matters is the the environment is a stable as possible.

And I do my calibrations on my slanted yard.. Thats kinda the point. There is no way everyone can do a calibration in a hermetically sealed chamber of perfection. So they (DJI) cant successfully create something that requires perfection to function properly. Do you actually know what eh variation in air pressure is from 30 feet to 40 feet? I dont know exactly, but its very insignificant! But being level has no bearing on pressure. And Being level has no bearing on a gyro. All that really matters is the the environment is a stable as possible.
LOL,. 14 posts to this thread arguing something that has no impact on you.

Why obsess?

Because reality is far more important than BS. When you let false information spread unchecked it becomes the norm. And that is NOT doing anyone any good! If I made a post stating that the GPS works better if you tap the top of your phantom before you power it up.. and no one ever called BS on it.. how long do you think it would take before every new pilot, and the old ones that dont know better, would start doing it? Rumors do everyone NO GOOD!

OK. Everybody out to the hillside to do your IMU calibrations from here out.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I believe after being here over a year and reading all I have and trying all I haveThis thread has got to be the strangest one I have ever read.! I know this P3 can't be that much different doing an advan. cal. than a P2 as far as it being level . On a slope ?
You can add levels to any of those boards.
Level table.jpg
Bam !
Next :cool:

I believe after being here over a year and reading all I have and trying all I haveThis thread has got to be the strangest one I have ever read.! I know this P3 can't be that much different doing an advan. cal. than a P2 as far as it being level . On a slope ?

View attachment 27019 Bam !
I ordered a batch of them from Amazon for a few bucks and do the same (be sure to check them with a known good level).

Because reality is far more important than BS. When you let false information spread unchecked it becomes the norm. And that is NOT doing anyone any good! If I made a post stating that the GPS works better if you tap the top of your phantom before you power it up.. and no one ever called BS on it.. how long do you think it would take before every new pilot, and the old ones that dont know better, would start doing it? Rumors do everyone NO GOOD!
You finally made a post I can get behind. I can agree with this fully.

View attachment 27019 Bam !
Thats what I use, a round bubble level in the center of the quad. Keep one in my pocket and one in the case in case I forget to remove it from the quad before I launch.
Like I said, I have a couple of quads that will fly at the angle they launch from, and the Solo will scream that it needs to be level before it will let you launch if it is on much of a gradient.

Reactions: dirkclod
I like the idea of perfectly leveling the p3 before imu calibration, but what if one of the foam feet weren't level with the others? I prefer leveling the p3 from the top side, so you know it's truly level.
I know this is a P3 thread and I have a P2, but leveling the quad should be the same for both, so here is my comment.
I leveled my surface for the quad, then put the quad on the surface.
Then put a piece of glass on all four motors without the props installed.
It was not level, so I took the top shell off and put the level on the Naza (phantom) and it too was not level.

What I noticed is when I compressed the foam on the legs, the level changed alot, but was still not level with the surface.
SO....
What should be "level" before calibrating the IMU.
1)the surface
2) the motors
3) the Naza

I know there has been alot of discussion on this, but I haven't found a good answer.

When I say the surface, I have a piece of 1/2" thick plexiglas about 12 " square. There are 3 screws to level the plate and I use a Empire 1-3/8 Bull Eye level from the Depot ($2.89) 0.001". I use that one because it is more accurate (better resolution and sensitivity) than the Johnson's Bull Eye level 0.01", but either way...

B

Because all properly tunes HVAC systems run at a positive pressure to avoid pulling outside air into the home.
So if the HVAC is keeping the inside at a positive pressure, where is the air coming from?

Actually, 100% of the inside air is recirculated so there should be NO pressure difference, positive or negative.

I know this is a P3 thread and I have a P2, but leveling the quad should be the same for both, so here is my comment.
I leveled my surface for the quad, then put the quad on the surface.
Then put a piece of glass on all four motors without the props installed.
It was not level, so I took the top shell off and put the level on the Naza (phantom) and it too was not level.

What I noticed is when I compressed the foam on the legs, the level changed alot, but was still not level with the surface.
SO....
What should be "level" before calibrating the IMU.
1)the surface
2) the motors
3) the Naza

I know there has been alot of discussion on this, but I haven't found a good answer.

When I say the surface, I have a piece of 1/2" thick plexiglas about 12 " square. There are 3 screws to level the plate and I use a Empire 1-3/8 Bull Eye level from the Depot ($2.89) 0.001". I use that one because it is more accurate (better resolution and sensitivity) than the Johnson's Bull Eye level 0.01", but either way...
Put the plexiglass on the motor shafts, put the level on the plexiglass --- if the level is off, shim the legs of the phantom until the it levels. the bubble.:)

Reactions: bobmyers
I've used my kitchen table for both P2 and P3, never had issues, about 250hours on the P2 and now close to 300hours on the P3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic