$25 leveling board

There is no documentation, or logic, behind a calibration being complete on a perfectly level surface being any more or less accurate than on a mild slant. Its probably just as accurate if it were laying on its side! A barometer doesnt care how it sits. And the gyro levels its self. Taking off level MIGHT be nice, if flying from a wind free location. But its not any help at all with the slightest of wind.

By all means, calibrate it on its side and let us know how that works out.

Went on Wikipedia and found the answer right there! Why someone didn't post this to begin with I don't know?....
o_O

15c1174e0cc9c6efec10d566367fc862.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_structure_gyroscope#MEMS_gyroscope

These are not your 'grandfather's' Gyros/IMUs.

Google MEMS Gyro, accelerometers, etc.

"These are not your 'grandfather's' Gyros".
Starting to figure that out....I guess at 60 (and a grandfather) I'm still learning.

So by calibrating the IMU on a perfectly level surface that then give the MEMS gyro a starting point of reference to work from that we are calling "level" and it then gives our gimbal something to work from in keeping our pictures level despite the movement of the Phantom.

Pretty much. To be specific, it's the accelerometer that needs the level surface. The gyro needs to be perfectly still.

By all means, calibrate it on its side and let us know how that works out.

Hmmm... brings to mind a new thought.
Set Phantom on it's side
Power up controller and Phantom
Then stand Phantom upright
Take off
What happens?......

Set Phantom on it's side
Take off
What happens?......

ATTI for one. Beyond that no clue.

Hold my beer and watch this. :D

Reactions: dirkclod
Set Phantom on it's side
Take off
What happens?......

This is a good question. No one knows what initialization routines the Phantom uses when powered up. Ideally, there should be none and everything should be based on the calibrations. However, in the past, there has been some speculation about hand launching causing problems or other types of movements, vibrations at start up.

Back in my CP-Heli days with a 1 axis Gyro (Yaw) it was always 'preached' to keep the heli still during power/warm-up. The Gyro was the only component that would require such precautions or requirements.

I never tested it though.

TOO much work to rebuild those CP-Helis!!!

I did look up and read a few dozen pages about MEMS gyros.. and in that found absolutely no benefit in calibrating them at ll. What they would need is lack of movement. So now we are back to my original point.. A level calibration affords nothing. Whats being calibrated is the barometer.. how its setting in the world means nothing as its only ready pressure. In that, it should be noted that it should not be performed indoors where an HVAC unit could be, or start running. As this would change pressure. It should also not be performed in a windy environment for the same reason.

Well that one freaked me out bro :eek:
If ya remember back when we were doing all the different ways to do a advanced cal. and I ended up with the glass said I was gonna try that to at the end...well I did and that sucked :D

Reactions: bobmyers
Not trying to be tough.. sorry if it came across that way. Was just mentioning that it doesnt really add to the accuracy of the calibration. And I worked in one of only 4 .02% calibrations shops in the country. Scales are calibrated in a windless environment, but not on a certified level surface. So a scale, especially when measuring grains, doesnt benefit from a perfect surface.
I doubt a piece of wood with two hardware store levels attached to it is a "certified level" surface, let alone a perfect surface.
I always try to take off from a surface that is as close to level as I can get it - I have a couple of quads that will fly with the same angle/tilt that they launched with and it can throw everything off.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I have UAV bits' landing pad which I attach to a tripod and use a round bubble level sitting on top of the quad (removed before launching). Works great for launching and landing on slopes.

And works much better on sand than throwing a piece of plastic or a rug down...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did look up and read a few dozen pages about MEMS gyros.. and in that found absolutely no benefit in calibrating them at ll. What they would need is lack of movement. So now we are back to my original point.. A level calibration affords nothing. Whats being calibrated is the barometer.. how its setting in the world means nothing as its only ready pressure. In that, it should be noted that it should not be performed indoors where an HVAC unit could be, or start running. As this would change pressure. It should also not be performed in a windy environment for the same reason.
How would a HVAC system running in the home change the pressure?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic