25 FPS or 30 is better choice for further edit

Reaction score
Like in subject. Using Corel VideoStudio X7 and mostly there is one option for mpeg format for 30fps.Only 25 fps but my all records are in 30 frames recorded. Could You guys describe me a little basics what is better In your opinion and What settings do you use when recording ?

30fps is for american NTSC standard. Since you are in Poland you're PAL, and run at 25fps. So, to avoid complicated conversions when you will output, you should shoot at 25fps, or 50fps.

sergekouper said:
30fps is for american NTSC standard. Since you are in Poland you're PAL, and run at 25fps. So, to avoid complicated conversions when you will output, you should shoot at 25fps, or 50fps.
I agree with your comment, but two other points to make. 25fps is also the frame rate for movie films. Some prefer to shoot in 25fps to get the "cinema look". The other consideration is computer monitors. I think they operate at 30fps. So, I think if you're looking to play back on a PAL tv, you would want 25fps, but for computer displays, 30. I'm not an expert on the computer refresh, but if they refresh fast enough, it won't matter because I think the players compensate by duplicating frames during playback.

RedRyderMedia said:
sergekouper said:
I agree with your comment, but two other points to make. 25fps is also the frame rate for movie films. Some prefer to shoot in 25fps to get the "cinema look". The other consideration is computer monitors. I think they operate at 30fps. So, I think if you're looking to play back on a PAL tv, you would want 25fps, but for computer displays, 30. I'm not an expert on the computer refresh, but if they refresh fast enough, it won't matter because I think the players compensate by duplicating frames during playback.

Sorry but no. Film frame rate is 24fps. not 25.
In Pal countries, such as the UK, video is 25 fps at 50hz.
In NTSC countries, such as the US, video is 30fps at 60hz.
Due to the difference of frequency, there is no difference in perception of the image speed.
What you call the cinematic effect appears if you shoot at 24 fps in the US (making a difference)
however, shooting at 24 in the UK instead of 25 makes little difference.
A computer can display any frame rate and is not following TV standards. (I've never tried it at 38.7 though)
There is no duplication of frames when playing back, that would look very odd.
Video on computers and on TV are fundamentally different. Broadcast TV signals are interlaced video, while computer displays signals are better played from progressive video.
Conversions in all ways exist but are creating other problems.
So, to answer the question from the OP:
Shoot based on what you will output. Basically, in america at 30 (or a multiple of 30 for slomo) in the UK 25 (or a multiple of 25 for slomo). If you want the "cinematic" effect, it's 24 fps for everybody.
Now, to finish on youtube, on a website or a mobile phone, I wonder if all of that is really important!! :lol:

I tried to create a new movie using Corel Video Studio and encountered one problem. Where all my movies are in 30 FPS , default options in program is 25 FPS. So As I understand program transfering , lowering frame to 25. In the end after rendering when open movie in any player I observe that video is much worst quality and much more slower witch (how to explain : stacking like framing)
I hope you understand what I mean. Is it good to compress movies recorded in 30 FPS to 25 by any program ?

mchrol said:
I tried to create a new movie using Corel Video Studio and encountered one problem. Where all my movies are in 30 FPS , default options in program is 25 FPS. So As I understand program transfering , lowering frame to 25. In the end after rendering when open movie in any player I observe that video is much worst quality and much more slower witch (how to explain : stacking like framing)
I hope you understand what I mean. Is it good to compress movies recorded in 30 FPS to 25 by any program ?

It all depends how your video editing app works with video formats that are different.

Some programs will merely take the 30fps video and merely drop every 6th frame or so to make it 25fps
some will try to blend the frames as necessary, which will look different, (it might also be in the settings)
and then you might also have the option to interpret the 30fps as a 25fps movie, which will slow the 30fps down 20% or so.

there'a s lot of options and it can be tricky to get the hang of.

ideally who, you would want to shoot at 25fps if you intend to play back your movies on your PAL Television
But if it's just join on youtube, you might be ok at keeping everything at 30fps. (not sure tho how it would play back on your TV, but might want to give it a try)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl