2312 Motor issue - UPDATE FROM DJI!!!

That's the package insert that comes with the original 2312 "upgrade" kit from DJI. I am inclined to conclude that it does indeed imply that they started out with the initial 2312 upgrade kits by using the old ESCs that they used for the 2212 motors and found that they weren't compatible with the 2312 motors. So, with the SUBSEQUENT upgrade kits they upgraded the ESC to v2.0 and firmware version (on the ESC) 4.02 and printed up that instruction card shown above. When they found out that that STILL wasn't good enough, and an inordinate number of Phantoms were dropping from the sky or their testing demonstrated failure-pron ESCs, they then came out with the v2.1 ESC with the 4.06 firmware.

I think that it's clear that if you have 2312 motors and a "no version" ESC, you're hosed. If you have a v2.0 ESC, you're on thin ice. If you have a "v2.1" ESC....jelly beans! It would be logical to conclude that they just upgraded ESCs on the fly using what they had in inventory without regard to whether or not they would actually work.

I put in a call yesterday to DJI - LA. The "service tech" I talked to had no clue about any of this. It's being kicked around and "someone will get back to me".

MacCool said:
That's the package insert that comes with the original 2312 "upgrade" kit from DJI. I am inclined to conclude that it does indeed imply that they started out with the initial 2312 upgrade kits by using the old ESCs that they used for the 2212 motors and found that they weren't compatible with the 2312 motors. So, with the SUBSEQUENT upgrade kits they upgraded the ESC to v2.0 and firmware version (on the ESC) 4.02 and printed up that instruction card shown above. When they found out that that STILL wasn't good enough, and an inordinate number of Phantoms were dropping from the sky or their testing demonstrated failure-pron ESCs, they then came out with the v2.1 ESC with the 4.06 firmware.

I think that it's clear that if you have 2312 motors and a "no version" ESC, you're hosed. If you have a v2.0 ESC, you're on thin ice. If you have a "v2.1" ESC....jelly beans! It would be logical to conclude that they just upgraded ESCs on the fly using what they had in inventory without regard to whether or not they would actually work.

I put in a call yesterday to DJI - LA. The "service tech" I talked to had no clue about any of this. It's being kicked around and "someone will get back to me".

And if we have the 2.0 with the 2212 motor?

Finally, something concrete.

So if you have the new motors, and no ESC number, they need to sort it.

Going to be interesting, they can't exactly say this isn't the case when they are providing these info leaflets to people about to install these parts.

So yesterday.. we thought esc 2.1 was the fix.. then someone posted up saying there 2.1 has burnt wires... whats happened since then ?? what is the latest lol ??

lol i'm still abit concerned about this. I see a number of threads now with people buying 2.1... but the guy in here who had 2.1 and had problems.. what happened to hm ???
Are people just going to take the risk or have they not yet seen the other guys posts ?? Or did I miss something ??? Doesn't seem like 2.1 is the fix if the other guy is having the exact same problems... ??

justin00 said:
So yesterday.. we thought esc 2.1 was the fix.. then someone posted up saying there 2.1 has burnt wires... whats happened since then ?? what is the latest lol ??

Justin from I can tell that guys wires melted from laying on top off very hot heat dissipating circuitry and not a complete burn all the way around the wire from the wire itself getting to hot...maybe Im wrong

justin00 said:

That someone is "tritontr21", page 5 in this thread.

There was no sign of burnt wires there. I believe you were the only one who immediately jumped in and replied/confirmed to that guy that they were. I suggest to everybody to go to page 5 and judge for themselves. Only slight deformation is visible which is probably just an uneven shape of heat shrinked insulation, or simply poor heat shrinking during assembly.

Anoter guy later confirmed(page 9) that he had the exact same deformations visible on new, never used motors:
knowonecares said:
I have new V3 motors not yet installed and the wire insulation varies in its shape and thickness, they look like the wires in the post.

Which confirms there is no issue with this.
One needs to remeber that in v3 there is no actual wire, as a separate component(like: motor, wires, ESC) now there is only two components: motor and ESC. The wire is the same copper winding wire extending from motor stator and insulated via heat shrinking probably by DJI when they assemble it. So that is why it probably looks a bit more "cheap" than the previous versions. But thats just the looks, the jury is still out regarding does that have some effect on function. Maybe it is even better than the previous versions. I certainly hope so, otherwise why call this an upgrade.

flyNfrank said:
I'm not sure if it is the heat you are interested in, or the visuals from a FLIR that represent heat indication? But if you ever want to see LIVE temp readings, you can use a Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer, and then hold the trigger down while pointing at the exact spot you want the reading from. It actually works rather nice for this and as I say it is a live reading. Maybe this will help?

I have an ir non-contact thermometer, but I don't know how I would use it to measure the temps of wires while the propellers are spinning. That is why I thought that FLIR could come in handy beacause you can essentially measure the various temperatures in an area immediately, without pointing it to a specific part.

Again I have no dog in this hunt, have the old motors and they work fine for me. But....why does everyone believe that DJI built these motors. The motor winding process is either done by hand or by machine, the machine is an expensive overhead and there are plenty mfg in china that want that business. I'm fairly sure that DJI purchased the motors from another source, just like the battery charger... Other than assembly and the populating of the various electronic boards, DJI outsources. I don't imagine they molded the body either....it's too well engineered.

Actually the new motor tells me a lot about DJI. First the top vains do not allow the existing wrench/tool to be used when a propeller is installed tight. Why would you sell a NEW improved motor for less than what is already offered, $18 versus $19 for the 2212... Use this ESC and then no you should only use this ESC, now buy both the ESC and motors as a package only.... $80 now just went to $200...for the upgrade

I have no problem extending the winding wires to the ESC in certain applications, but it's done to reduce cost rather than improve performance. Wrong application for using the winding wires to terminate to the ESC. Too much vibration in a multicopter application for this method to be long lasting... I would have at least twisted the winding wires to make them uniform within the heatshrink. Would have added support against breakage from mid-span bending.

Most re-winders recommend securing/terminating the windings at the motor and then extending a multi-strand lead to the ESC. Otherwise they will break either partially or as a whole. Typical failure is at the point just above the solder point to the ESC, where the wire is not insulated. Vibration fatigue, one or multiple strands.

Much to be learned from others about winding brush-less motors...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Good luck!

justin00 said:

Exactly! This is still all sort of guesswork. I've been following this topic closely on several threads and forums. My analysis at this time is that there is nothing conclusive yet, because the problem is not consistent.

Here's a photo of a new 2312 motor, notice the irregularity of the insulation on the wires, could be confused with melting.

Attachments

• 2312 Motor from DJI.JPG
    2312 Motor from DJI.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 421
Pmcdn said:
justin00 said:

Exactly! This is still all sort of guesswork. I've been following this topic closely on several threads and forums. My analysis at this time is that there is nothing conclusive yet, because the problem is not consistent.

What has exacerbated the situation is the lack of version and quality control from DJI.

My thoughts are this: I am pretty sure I have the V 2.0 ESC's even though it is not labeled on the white label. The red lights come on after motor start-up and there are no "4 additional beeps" after the power on sound. I do not have holes in my Wifi module, but I have not seen where holes are truly indicative of being a different module than what is supposed to be in a V 3.0. I have about 10 hours flying and have had zero issues and I did snag the propellers a couple of times on day one. My wires look good and my MOSFETS look good as well. I have been really impressed with the performance and technology of the thing. After reading these forums, I am leaning towards not being as impressed with DJI's processes and communication. My main goal is for it to not fall out of the sky for something that could have been prevented.

- Tweez

The 1 poster that said they had burnt wires, this post has got twisted.

The wires were glued together, NOT burnt.

Well crap... According to that insert that came with the motor upgrade, my Phantom 2 v2.0 (non vision) has motor/esc incompatability... :shock:

And it came this way. It was purchased at the end of November, just a few months ago. I inspected the wires for each motor and only noticed an issue on one. The black coating on one component separated from a black wire.

This has got to be a warranty issue right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 371
phenom3030 said:
Well crap... According to that insert that came with the motor upgrade, my Phantom 2 v2.0 (non vision) has motor/esc incompatability... :shock:

And it came this way. It was purchased at the end of November, just a few months ago. I inspected the wires for each motor and only noticed an issue on one. The black coating on one component separated from a black wire.

I'm in the same boat as you. Where did you order from?

So, as the wires are a continuation of the motor windings, I would guess the wires are sleeved in heatshrink? Uneven shrinking would make the insulation (heatshrink) look like it has melted a bit. I've seen quite a few look like that.

Personally i think the motors are fine and its the esc's alone. Have DJI ever given any info, anywhere, of the change made from firmware v2.0 to v2.1 on the white label on esc?

Reoscorpio said:
phenom3030 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Where did you order from?

My order was sold to me by The Drone Source via Amazon. I just sent DJI a message via their Report a Problem form in the Support section of their website.

This is a bummer, I don't want to fly again until there's resolution.

I too believe that the problem only lies in the ESCs.

On these photos of ESCs that people have been sending here I keep noticing that there is another white sticker/label underneath the visible one. Can someone peel the top sticker and see what is written on the one beneath?

(I own an older v2 phantom 2 v+, otherwise I would do it myself. I'm interested in buying a new v3 one, that's why I'm investigating this)

Nathan Carter said:
I too believe that the problem only lies in the ESCs.

On these photos of ESCs that people have been sending here I keep noticing that there is another white sticker/label underneath the visible one. Can someone peel the top sticker and see what is written on the one beneath?

(I own an older v2 phantom 2 v+, otherwise I would do it myself. I'm interested in buying a new v3 one, that's why I'm investigating this)

Here's photos of a V2.0 ESC with the label pealed back, covers up a part number of some sort.

Attachments

• IMG_5589.JPG
    IMG_5589.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_5596.JPG
    IMG_5596.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 319

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members