207 good flights and literally fell 400 ft. from the sky.

Is it possible that it might be a mechanical issue? After 207 flights maybe the motor bearings are worn and one of them was intermittently binding up causing the bird to spin. Then it progressed to the point of a crash?

Sorry about the double post. Got a server error warning so I tried again.

This site has been glitchy as all hell since the server maintenance this morning....

With a quadcopter...unfortunately it only takes one ESC or motor to fail and the thing is a ROCK....to my knowledge there is no ESC or motor data I the flight logs or app warnings

Yes, I'm getting errors everytime I try to post.
Same here
With a quadcopter...unfortunately it only takes one ESC or motor to fail and the thing is a ROCK....to my knowledge there is no ESC or motor data I the flight logs or app warnings
I haven't specifically looked, but there likely is info in the flight logs in the P3. An ESC error would be pretty worthless in the app. It would only be telling you to be prepared to measure pucker factor as the bird is falling.

I think the rapid gimballing was due to the camera trying to correct 'aim' as the aircraft spun wildly. Since we don't have enough evidence to make an informed guess, my WAG is that a battery cell shorted. I'm in the car biz and I've seen similar (completely spasmodic behavior) happen when a vehicle's battery shorts internally. Suddenly they are completely unable to output much current (amps)but they still can test at 12V. It would have been great to put our battery into a known good P3P and check the cell strengths on the Go App.

Heehee...................... just post once and ignore the server error. It does go through, even though it doesn't look like it. Click the error box closed, then refresh the page. How about some help, admin?!

You just expressed the perfect reason for "not" flying over neighborhoods.................

"Thankfully it slammed into the neighbors yard... and not their kids or house....."

I've been a vocal opponent of flying in "the neighborhood" since day one here. I don't get it. At all.

And sorry about your bird.
given that the P3 is capable of flying several miles, one way, you would need to be at least four or five miles or more out of town in order to avoid the chance of flying over a neighborhood (think fly away)...

fly wherever you want. just be as safe as you can, and be prepared for the consequences if something happens.

given that the P3 is capable of flying several miles, one way, you would need to be at least four or five miles or more out of town in order to avoid the chance of flying over a neighborhood............
Exactly.

All this brings up something that I have wondered about. Eventually if you fly these things enough it's going to fail. Is there any preventative maintenance or checks that can limit the liability? I know checking the batteries. But how much life will you get out of the motors? At what point do you need to replace stuff?

I get it, there are those that have crashed and there are those that will.. I don't want to be part of either group actually if at all possible.

I had a loss the other day. Lost RC signal and didn't have my eye on the bird but on the screen.....never saw again!
No RTH, did the usual pre flight checks but did not check the fail safe, so not sure. I thought it was on RTH on loss of signal....no cache...
Anyhow immediate and final....
Luckily (well sorta) I was over the ocean.....
Me speculating it was battery...but who knows?
So I am moving on to an Inspire but gotta sell my RC and stuff....just added the HDMI board as well....
Ok move on.....

I had a loss the other day. Lost RC signal and didn't have my eye on the bird but on the screen.....never saw again!
No RTH, did the usual pre flight checks but did not check the fail safe, so not sure. I thought it was on RTH on loss of signal....no cache...
Anyhow immediate and final....
Luckily (well sorta) I was over the ocean.....
Me speculating it was battery...but who knows?
So I am moving on to an Inspire but gotta sell my RC and stuff....just added the HDMI board as well....
Ok move on.....
****! Wish I lived in your world! Ditch a P3, then go buy an Inspire!!

My world is not so beautiful sometimes LoLo
I need it for work
I have a Y6, X8, Iris +, F550 and it goes on.....hubsan micro (to test the 3mp camera) each one good for different jobs. The hubsan flies in spaces the others cannot...

Same here

I haven't specifically looked, but there likely is info in the flight logs in the P3. An ESC error would be pretty worthless in the app. It would only be telling you to be prepared to measure pucker factor as the bird is falling.

If there is such info, I am surprised it is not part of the available data we have seen thus far...on healthy drones as an example, but there certainly no doubt that ESC and motor issues could be reported with the right monitoring system, the data could then be used to predict failure and in that respect far from useless.

If there is such info, I am surprised it is not part of the available data we have seen thus far...on healthy drones as an example, but there certainly no doubt that ESC and motor issues could be reported with the right monitoring system, the data could then be used to predict failure and in that respect far from useless.
That data would only be in the logs IN the P3.. and if there was an issue, you would be picking up the pieces! Its like a light bulb.. when its quits its all over!

That data would only be in the logs IN the P3.. and if there was an issue, you would be picking up the pieces! Its like a light bulb.. when its quits its all over!

Sorry to say you are wrong on that, electric motor monitoring has been alive and well for decades and is actively used for motor maintenance and to predict premature failure...
I am sure you will want the final word on this...so beit ...it is yours, the table is set... enjoy....lol

Yes, you are correct. Technically, the ESCs ARE monitoring the motors. But motor monitoring is not esc monitoring. A failing motor in a multi rotor shows its self almost instantly due to the obvious lack of performance in said motor... leading to the inability to fly. YES.. ESC monitoring would probably be a good tool, but there is no resource at the moment to dummy-proof the on-board logs like HealthyDrones currently does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers