2014 Fireworks @ Baltimore's Inner Harbor

There's something about fireworks that make all this worth while, I will be pulling this one out of the box again Nov 5th.

wkf94025 said:
srandall25 said:
I feel this may be the last year one could potentially do a flight into the heart of a 'major' fireworks event and have an alibi. Leave it to the media to sensationalize how 'unsafe' it is for someone to hover a drone in the middle of fireworks over open water... yes, unsafe to the drone maybe... It wouldn't surprise me to see the major firework events next year making clear rules banning drones at the fireworks location.. I think it's obvious that the fireworks themselves pose more of a hazard to those on the ground than the drone as there is usually a safety zone area established within a large parameter of the fireworks... Just my opinion...

I agree with the absurdity of media coverage of the risks associated with attending a fireworks show. The Forbes thesis that a drone could deflect a mortar back at human beings is fairly ignorant of the components of momentum (mass and velocity). Much more likely outcome from a direct hit is a shower of small white plastic pieces. :D

Regarding 2014 being the last year, I think enlightened fireworks events in the future will hire a phantom + Lightbridge pilot, underwrite the possible loss of aircraft, and have a live feed on big screen (and streamed on the web?) filmed from in the middle of the show. The pyrotechs that put on our local show are anxious to get my footage of their fine work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjqA7y1L3os

Kelly

Great video - can you please share what you had your camera settings at please? Auto white balance? ISO? etc. - thanks! And, did you black out the LEDs? Or not worry about it?

LiLPhantom said:
"Wrong" well considering all of the FAA issues and crap here in the states, the last thing everybody needs to be doing is attracting attention and posting "epic" flights on video for the FAA and media to run away with. I for one use mine daily for my business, and its going to be all of these epic and crazy flights that we will lose the opportunity of doing business in the future with these birds... Local media wanted an interview on camera this morning, they got it over the phone, and they are focusing on only the craziness, and not of the productive engineering and other future benefits, Phantom Pilots and other multi rotor pilots need to show those productive videos more often and not the epic FPV oh look how beautiful-cool-and-close-I-flew videos. Examples of great videos I like to find are agricultural growth anomalies, plot and land surveying, infrared thermal imaging (I have been hacking my FLIR camera lately to bolt on to my Phantom, just need to solder a video out somehow), capital needs assessments, flooding and storm damage, seek and find, heck I haven't seen border crossing and drug dropping but that'd be productive for criminals, they could use em for look-outs during a crime spree even, next we will see background checks for the purchase of these things. End of Ramble...

Not quite sure what video you were watching to prompt such a response? My aircraft was within plain view, LOS, less than 1500' away, hovering safely over open water, recording fireworks several hundred feet distant. FPV was used to aim the camera, and myself and several others were scanning the area for air traffic. How exactly was this "epic," dangerous, irresponsible, or harmful to the hobby? I'm glad you are able to use your birds for business, but myself and most of us here use our's for pleasure. I want to enjoy some fun & adventure capturing unique videos & photos I would otherwise never experience. No one wants to watch videos of grass growing. Have a drink, lighten up, get out there and have some fun.

D_Tshudy said:
Dirty Bird said:
2014 Fireworks @ Baltimore's Inner Harbor:

Nice video, DB. It's a real shame that DJI didn't put a mic on these things. Fireworks just aren't the same without the boom. Hopefully the next version will have a sound.

I grafted the audio from my DVR on the ground to the image from the GoPro. Not perfect, but agree that the image without the sound track is missing something.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjqA7y1L3os[/youtube]

@rrhansen -- I put black electrical tape over the front lights only. Though next time I will black out all four lights, as I flew under the hood (FPV+iOSD) the entire way until just before landing. And the tail lights were noticed by some friends in the grand stands. Not interested in being noticed, if I can help it. I shot the Hero3+ in 1080p/60fps, no filters, no low light, no raw, no post other than title and clipping.

@LilPhantom -- not everyone who filmed fireworks did so irresponsibly. Mine was planned days in advance with the fair board, the pryotechs, and at no time was I near the crowd. The only thing at risk was my quad and camera.

Kelly

All very well done. While I did the same thing on 7-4 eve, not as good as yours and when I saw THE fireworks video that was in the Forbes article, I felt like I was in kindergarten. BTW, that one is up to over 7mm views now and well deserved.

I grafted the audio from my DVR on the ground to the image from the GoPro. Not perfect, but agree that the image without the sound track is missing something.

@rrhansen -- I put black electrical tape over the front lights only. Though next time I will black out all four lights, as I flew under the hood (FPV+iOSD) the entire way until just before landing. And the tail lights were noticed by some friends in the grand stands. Not interested in being noticed, if I can help it. I shot the Hero3+ in 1080p/60fps, no filters, no low light, no raw, no post other than title and clipping.

@LilPhantom -- not everyone who filmed fireworks did so irresponsibly. Mine was planned days in advance with the fair board, the pryotechs, and at no time was I near the crowd. The only thing at risk was my quad and camera.

Kelly[/quote]
Very nice and all the better for the audio, as the Baltimore man said pity about no mic even though it would have the rotor whirr. Perhaps further back is better than closer for fireworks. When some explode just in half frame it's not so good. Very dramatic however obviously there is no wind forces from the fireworks blast or perhaos the gimbal irons that out as well.

Seriously though. What was wrong with the way DB shot the video and flew his Bird?[/quote]

A Local media wanted an interview on camera this morning, they got it over the phone, and they are focusing on only the craziness, and not of the productive engineering and other future benefits, Phantom Pilots and other multi rotor pilots need to show those productive videos more often and not the epic FPV oh look how beautiful-cool-and-close-I-flew videos. [/quote]
Well L-P it looks like they got their interview, pity it was with someone who's a COMPUTER tech with a P1. :roll: :( This guy from Data Doctors spent the whole interview to say what boils down to "don't fly around anything or anyone as it's unsafe and bad". He insinuated that the only safe place to fly is out in the middle of nowhere taking pics of Cactus I guess.
He went on to talk about how it's understandable that people are worried about cameras on "drones" as an invasion of their privacy. http://www.azcentral.com/videos/news/lo ... /12353515/
What I wished he or SOMEONE would say is that the GoPro does not have zoom capabilities and so cannot "peep" in your windows unless directly outside of them and the noise generated by our quads makes it very evident that they are there. No stealth possible!
What "we" need to do is bust the myth that people have about what can be seen by our cameras and what can't be seen. I try to do that every time I talk with people by letting them know (or see first hand) that it looks like the view from a 10 story building unless I'm directly over an object and hovering very low.

LiLPhantom said:
All in good fun Double D... Australia has always been on my bucket list... "Wrong" well considering all of the FAA issues and crap here in the states, the last thing everybody needs to be doing is attracting attention and posting "epic" flights on video for the FAA and media to run away with. I for one use mine daily for my business, and its going to be all of these epic and crazy flights that we will lose the opportunity of doing business in the future with these birds... Local media wanted an interview on camera this morning, they got it over the phone, and they are focusing on only the craziness, and not of the productive engineering and other future benefits, Phantom Pilots and other multi rotor pilots need to show those productive videos more often and not the epic FPV oh look how beautiful-cool-and-close-I-flew videos. Examples of great videos I like to find are agricultural growth anomalies, plot and land surveying, infrared thermal imaging (I have been hacking my FLIR camera lately to bolt on to my Phantom, just need to solder a video out somehow), capital needs assessments, flooding and storm damage, seek and find, heck I haven't seen border crossing and drug dropping but that'd be productive for criminals, they could use em for look-outs during a crime spree even, next we will see background checks for the purchase of these things. End of Ramble...

LilPhantom - I'm a bit confused? You want to say that people are putting "nails in the coffin" posting videos like Dirty Bird but then you go on to say that you use your Phantom for business? What FAA authorization did you receive to use your Phantom for business? I'm pretty sure that they are still going after (albeit unsuccessfully) people using UAV's for business without proper licensing or approval. FAA restrictions say model aircraft may not be operated "by persons or companies for business purposes." Stop ruining it for everyone LilPhantom.... sheesh.

I'm not real sure but it sure looked like DB's video in the media news show Inside edition. Btw, they have one or two stories a week which are all negative towards our copter's, and they call them drones.

I need to correct that it is not DB's video as I just noticed that DB has 700 views and the one shown on the news cast was said to have over 8 million views. But it does look like a near carbon copy as far as flying almost right into the middle of the blast.

Now...if we had a better lens with possibly zoom, some wouldn't feel the need to fly around events where large crowds are concerned.

Also just so some of know, there is a organization who are determined to get multicopters shut down by way of the FAA. They are actually responsible for purposely flying copters in high target areas. They make themselves appear as normal hobbyist.

I'm thinking that LiLPhantom is trolling (or just needs attention). I see nothing controversial in DB's video and LiLPhantom openly admits to breaking the law daily.

flyNfrank, does anyone actually watch Inside Edition?? :)

D_Tshudy said:
flyNfrank, does anyone actually watch Inside Edition?? :)

I do only when there is a story on copters. Unfortunately, it seems like that is around twice a week here over the past month.

rrhansen said:
Great video - can you please share what you had your camera settings at please? Auto white balance? ISO? etc. - thanks! And, did you black out the LEDs? Or not worry about it?

Thank you. The camera was in 1080p*30fps, full Auto mode. I did not adjust any settings. I was going to tape the front LEDs but I forgot my tape.

We've experienced the "Soup Nazi," the "RTFM Nazis," and now we have our very own "Mission Nazi!"

Effective immediately all Phantom pilots are required to file a formal "Mission Application/Request Form" with our resident Mission Nazi, Li'l Phantom, for pre-flight clearance & authorization of your proposed mission(s). It may be several weeks before hearing back, as Li'l Phantom is busy flying his bird commercially, in lieu of FAA restrictions banning the use of RC aircraft for such purposes. Nonetheless, when Li'l Phantom isn't scolding "rookies," blasting "know-it-alls," or blaming "You guys!" for destroying the hobby, he will respond and inform you if your mission(s) meets with his approval.

Dirty Bird said:
We've experienced the "Soup Nazi," the "RTFM Nazis," and now we have our very own "Mission Nazi!"

Effective immediately all Phantom pilots are required to file a formal "Mission Application/Request Form" with our resident Mission Nazi, Li'l Phantom, for pre-flight clearance & authorization of your proposed mission(s). It may be several weeks before hearing back, as Li'l Phantom is busy flying his bird commercially, in lieu of FAA restrictions banning the use of RC aircraft for such purposes. Nonetheless, when Li'l Phantom isn't scolding "rookies," blasting "know-it-alls," or blaming "You guys!" for destroying the hobby, he will respond and inform you if your mission(s) meets with his approval.

Pmsl

We dont get Inside Edition here in OZ, maybe on pay TV? So I just watched the story online. I had to laugh.
Quote: "A Phantom 2 Quadrocopter that can cost up to $10,000"..... FFS

Double-D said:
Dirty Bird said:

Pmsl

The FAA isn't all that powerful. Not here in Texas. I wouldn't have bought the Quad if I knew I was breaking the law, until I read stuff like the ones below. And I don't mind breaking stupid laws, just more afraid of Federal ones.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... navpanes=0

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/commer ... udge-ruled

I think it's a great film DB and certainly debunks the myth that Phantoms are useless in low light. When viewed at 720p and full screen you can see the noise in the blacks quite clearly and that may have been helped by fixing the ISO to 400 but could introduce even more noise. ISO is meant to control the sensitivity of the sensor to light and not change the shutter speed but I honestly don't know how the camera operates despite having asked. Perhaps an ISO of 200 with an EV of +1.0 would have helped, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

The music is Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, written to celebrate the Russian's victory over Napoleon, so nothing to do with 'Victory over the Poms' (thankfully!) and despite what the PC Police and general party-poopers are suggesting on here regarding your flight, I think flying at night is damned brave and I hope one day to responsibly do the same.

Good job and thanks for sharing this along with other helpful input. I appreciate the comments of members who have actually done things rather than those who just talk about it. :D

Mako79 said:
Dirty Bird said:
ToThePoint said:
Can you explane what you mean with ' full 1080p but forgot to set auto something off ? '
Wonderfull video though.

Thanks! I had the camera set to 1080p*30fps, but the rest of the video controls were set to Auto. I didn't force a specific ISO (shutter speed) , EVO (exposure), or mode (sunny, cloudy, etc.). With the camera in "auto," it was adjusting on the fly as the lighting changed and you can see at times how the video takes on a bluish tint and then returns to normal. It probably would have been better to lock down the settings but, as I didn't know what settings needed to be, I just left things to run automatically. You have to stop recording to change settings.

Happy "kick-the-poms-arse-day" and awesome vid DB.

It took me a while to get this right as it has happened with my Vivid Lights video. The enire frame would go slightly purplish.
In low light conditions, the lens need to stay open longer to capture light. With higher frames = faster shutter speeds, therefor the opposite is true. 1080p @ 25fps slows the shutter speed and lets more light in.
I do the following in low light:
Tape the fwd arms to stop the red lights bleeding into the video.
1080 @ 25FPS.
100 or 200 ISO (auto will cause random yellow/purple tint).
Use CLOUD.
Exposure: 0 (if you decide to go 60fps@720, then max this out highest number more more light to enter).
Average metering.
50hertz (im in australia) Electricity lights flick at this rate down under.

Thank you for this information!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31