2014 Fireworks @ Baltimore's Inner Harbor

PhilAnderson said:
Very nice, indeed! Curious about the soundtrack. It sounds just like something you might hear at a fireworks show. Did you record the sound, or.....?

Great job, bet you're glad you didn't wait until next year. :D

It was just one of the music selections from YouTube that fit the length of the video. The timing worked out pretty well too. I'm glad I decided to go.

srandall25 said:
I feel this may be the last year one could potentially do a flight into the heart of a 'major' fireworks event and have an alibi. Leave it to the media to sensationalize how 'unsafe' it is for someone to hover a drone in the middle of fireworks over open water... yes, unsafe to the drone maybe... It wouldn't surprise me to see the major firework events next year making clear rules banning drones at the fireworks location.. I think it's obvious that the fireworks themselves pose more of a hazard to those on the ground than the drone as there is usually a safety zone area established within a large parameter of the fireworks... Just my opinion...

It is pretty amazing, as you note, that you are flying over water, and there is debris dropping all around as is. Next year, I plan on having a matte-black bird for the show, with ALL of the LEDs either remote switchable, or taped off.

Total Stealth mode... ;)

@DB

Can you explane what you mean with ' full 1080p but forgot to set auto something off ? '
Wonderfull video though.

Greetings
JP

Dirty Bird said:
srandall25 said:
I feel this may be the last year one could potentially do a flight into the heart of a 'major' fireworks event and have an alibi. Leave it to the media to sensationalize how 'unsafe' it is for someone to hover a drone in the middle of fireworks over open water... yes, unsafe to the drone maybe... It wouldn't surprise me to see the major firework events next year making clear rules banning drones at the fireworks location.. I think it's obvious that the fireworks themselves pose more of a hazard to those on the ground than the drone as there is usually a safety zone area established within a large parameter of the fireworks... Just my opinion...

It is pretty amazing, as you note, that you are flying over water, and there is debris dropping all around as is. Next year, I plan on having a matte-black bird for the show, with ALL of the LEDs either remote switchable, or taped off.

Total Stealth mode... ;)

Black ops. :)

ToThePoint said:
Can you explane what you mean with ' full 1080p but forgot to set auto something off ? '
Wonderfull video though.

Thanks! I had the camera set to 1080p*30fps, but the rest of the video controls were set to Auto. I didn't force a specific ISO (shutter speed) , EVO (exposure), or mode (sunny, cloudy, etc.). With the camera in "auto," it was adjusting on the fly as the lighting changed and you can see at times how the video takes on a bluish tint and then returns to normal. It probably would have been better to lock down the settings but, as I didn't know what settings needed to be, I just left things to run automatically. You have to stop recording to change settings.

Dirty Bird said:
ToThePoint said:
Wonderfull video though.

Thanks! I had the camera set to 1080p*30fps, but the rest of the video controls were set to Auto. I didn't force a specific ISO (shutter speed) , EVO (exposure), or mode (sunny, cloudy, etc.). With the camera in "auto," it was adjusting on the fly as the lighting changed and you can see at times how the video takes on a bluish tint and then returns to normal. It probably would have been better to lock down the settings but, as I didn't know what settings needed to be, I just left things to run automatically. You have to stop recording to change settings.

Aha, good to know. I guessed you knew what setting to use. Never mind, just set the auto off will do the job i figure. Many tnx for the reply DB

Dirty Bird said:
ToThePoint said:
Wonderfull video though.

Happy "kick-the-poms-arse-day" and awesome vid DB.

It took me a while to get this right as it has happened with my Vivid Lights video. The enire frame would go slightly purplish.
In low light conditions, the lens need to stay open longer to capture light. With higher frames = faster shutter speeds, therefor the opposite is true. 1080p @ 25fps slows the shutter speed and lets more light in.
I do the following in low light:
Tape the fwd arms to stop the red lights bleeding into the video.
1080 @ 25FPS.
100 or 200 ISO (auto will cause random yellow/purple tint).
Use CLOUD.
Exposure: 0 (if you decide to go 60fps@720, then max this out highest number more more light to enter).
Average metering.
50hertz (im in australia) Electricity lights flick at this rate down under.

Dirty Bird said:
ToThePoint said:
Black ops. :)

You got it! ;)

Just a deluded idea of me.
What about the props DB ?
Paint them also or carbon ones ?
Are there actually carbon props for the V+ ?

srandall25 said:

I agree with the absurdity of media coverage of the risks associated with attending a fireworks show. The Forbes thesis that a drone could deflect a mortar back at human beings is fairly ignorant of the components of momentum (mass and velocity). Much more likely outcome from a direct hit is a shower of small white plastic pieces. :D

Regarding 2014 being the last year, I think enlightened fireworks events in the future will hire a phantom + Lightbridge pilot, underwrite the possible loss of aircraft, and have a live feed on big screen (and streamed on the web?) filmed from in the middle of the show. The pyrotechs that put on our local show are anxious to get my footage of their fine work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjqA7y1L3os

Kelly

ToThePoint said:
Just a deluded idea of me.
What about the props DB ?
Paint them also or carbon ones ?
Are there actually carbon props for the V+ ?

There are aftermarket carbon fiber props, but I won't go carbon fiber. DJI makes the standard props in 5 variants. White, white with blue, red, or pink tips, and gray. I'd probably get a set of gray ones, and paint them matte black if they look funny.

Dirty Bird said:
I headed down to Baltimore's Inner Harbor tonight to capture some fireworks video for the 4th of July.

Awesome job. Thanks for sharing all the setting information and technique. I was down at Smith Mountain Lake in SW Virginia over the weekend and would have loved to have my Vision+ down there. Unfortunately it is in Santa Monica CA getting a ribbon cable replaced . . . . eventually.

Happy 4th!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't messed with the ISO and other settings but I *thought* those settings only applied to still images?! Dirty Bird - have you actually changed the settings and noticed a difference when shooting live video?

BTW - Nice video!!

** EDIT ** - Thanks to the forums I've learning something new! I did change the ISO and other settings while recording video and they do make a difference in the video quality. THANKS!!

LiLPhantom said:
Its these type of video's that's ruining it for everyone, the FAA is scheduled to make an announcement from over the 4th weekend according to News Channel 12 in Phoenix. Just another Nail in the Phantom Coffin, post your sheet on Vimeo and have a password for this crap...

Excuse me?

Dirty Bird said:
2014 Fireworks @ Baltimore's Inner Harbor:

Nice video, DB. It's a real shame that DJI didn't put a mic on these things. Fireworks just aren't the same without the boom. Hopefully the next version will have a sound.

LiLPhantom said:
Its these type of video's that's ruining it for everyone, the FAA is scheduled to make an announcement from over the 4th weekend according to News Channel 12 in Phoenix. Just another Nail in the Phantom Coffin, post your sheet on Vimeo and have a password for this crap...

If you had read DB's post, you will see that he used the utmost diligence. He chose not to fly over the crowded spectators, he didn't fly into firing range and even dropped altitude while observing a flying helicopter.

If you are that paranoid, I hope you enjoy your personal footage of deserts and corn fields.

Very cool, Man. You said you blacked out the front lights. Why not black all of them out so as not to attract attention?

Excellent work Dirty! Did you launch from that parking lot above the Geometric Park on the water? I agree with what someone said about bans next year. It is possible you may have a collector's item video! But, blacked out birds would be hard to identify and locate, let alone the controlling individual.

You mentioned not taping the headlights (I for get exactly what you called them). What kind of forward lights do you have?

If you are that paranoid, I hope you enjoy your personal footage of deserts and corn fields.[/quote]

Says you whom have had a Phantom for all of 5 weeks and now your a pro in Australia shooting Kangaroo huts :lol:[/quote]

Good to see you've done your research on me.
I never claimed to be a pro.

Kangaroo huts. Now that's funny!
The only reason we video the kangaroo settlements is for surveillance as they have been planning an uprising of late.

Seriously though. What was wrong with the way DB shot the video and flew his Bird?

zzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz........zzzzzzzz

That sounds like boring footage. though important to some and very useful footage I'm sure.......

zzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz........zzzzzzzzz

Dirty Bird...GREAT JOB...and thanks for being careful and respectful of flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj