20 MP? Something doesn't seem to add up

MTH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Took my P4P out for the first time today. Kept it within arm's length just in case it decided to wander off and I didn't crash it. Thinking of starting a new company making Phantom 4 collars and leashes for when you want to it for a walk and not have it run off to chase other drones or airplanes.

While it was up in the air I took a few pictures. After looking at the photos and the file for each I am a bit perplexed. Before going any farther let me mention that I set the resolution to 3:2 and file type to .DNG. I may have missed something, but found no other setting that should affect picture quality. Yea there is "white balance" and "style" which are corrected in post. It has been many years since I've even tried spelling algebra (thank god for spell checkers) let alone work a problem and I got my public education long before new math. So I am left scratching my head when presented with the following 960 pixels wide by 640 pixels high equals 20,000,000 pixels. Ok I did try the other two setting, but the best I got was 960 X 720 which is still not 20,000,000. For a moment I thought maybe something like a foveon sensor was being used, but still didn't add up.

I bought the P4P for the awesome 20MP camera with a 1 inch sensor. Would someone please enlighten me as to what I or the camera is doing wrong? Or is it that my math skills are lacking?

Thank you all

Mitch

Reactions: Alec200
So I am left scratching my head when presented with the following 960 pixels wide by 640 pixels high equals 20,000,000 pixels.
Would someone please enlighten me as to what I or the camera is doing wrong? Or is it that my math skills are lacking?
It should be obvious that you aren't looking at the real images the camera creates.
What you are looking at is a thumbnail or preview your software has generated to show you what the raw file looks like.
As it says in the specs the P4 pro can shoot still images of 3:2 Aspect Ratio: 5472 × 3648.
Look at the real images and you'll find they are 20MP.

Reactions: WebheadFred
If you are using the default windows picture viewer it will give you a false image, download a real photo viewer like lightroom CC demo to see the full sized pic

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi all,

Took my P4P out for the first time today. Kept it within arm's length just in case it decided to wander off and I didn't crash it. Thinking of starting a new company making Phantom 4 collars and leashes for when you want to it for a walk and not have it run off to chase other drones or airplanes.

While it was up in the air I took a few pictures. After looking at the photos and the file for each I am a bit perplexed. Before going any farther let me mention that I set the resolution to 3:2 and file type to .DNG. I may have missed something, but found no other setting that should affect picture quality. Yea there is "white balance" and "style" which are corrected in post. It has been many years since I've even tried spelling algebra (thank god for spell checkers) let alone work a problem and I got my public education long before new math. So I am left scratching my head when presented with the following 960 pixels wide by 640 pixels high equals 20,000,000 pixels. Ok I did try the other two setting, but the best I got was 960 X 720 which is still not 20,000,000. For a moment I thought maybe something like a foveon sensor was being used, but still didn't add up.

I bought the P4P for the awesome 20MP camera with a 1 inch sensor. Would someone please enlighten me as to what I or the camera is doing wrong? Or is it that my math skills are lacking?

Thank you all

Mitch
Open in Photoshop or Lightroom and I assure you, they're 20mp :D

Sounds like your looking at the cache files on the ipad to me. You have to download the files to your computer by either plugging your bird into your computer or using a card reader and taking the card out of your bird and sticking it in your card reader. Then open them in a decent photo editor and you'll see the big files.

Love your shot man! But your horizon at the very top is a little crooked still. Hope that's ok to point out lickitysplit. Great shot for sure!
No problem , I've seen threads on the topic but isn't that just the framing of the pic or is it a lens issue , how would you straighten it , (distortion control in LR ?)

No problem , I've seen threads on the topic but isn't that just the framing of the pic or is it a lens issue , how would you straighten it , (distortion control in LR ?)
Oh great so glad you didn't get pissed on my comment. Just rotate it it Photoshop or Lightroom a tad counterclockwise and your good. The rule I live by is to try to keep any dominant line in a pic dead straight. You won't notice the change in the randomness of your buildings attitudes at all. A crooked horizon just drives me nuts man. lol

Ok gotcha so you rotate and crop a little but like you sail then the building will be leaning just as much Then someone will comment that the buildings are crooked I will definitely keep it in mind on my next edit thanks for the tip ....

I do recall threads on crooked horizons but I never really looked at them

Relax Bill. I and we kind of answered the OP concerns about his file concern. Just trying to help a guy out on his photo he posted. Is that ok man? It's all about helping us all out right?

Gee Wiz. The guy asks a genuine question. This forum isn't therapy. It is to get informed answers from folks that know. Please don't screw it up with garbage.

Does your comment contribute anything to the OP's question , I think not.
Guess it'll be hard for you but try to enjoy your evening ...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Gee Wiz. The guy asks a genuine question. This forum isn't therapy. It is to get informed answers from folks that know. Please don't screw it up with garbage.
Actually, the way the OP worded his question was exactly like as if he came here for therapy [emoji23]

Thanks all for your replies. Zzz, therapy? Yes please!
I should have opened the file in Photoshop, as a side not for those who don't have Photoshop Gimp is a good free substitute. What I did was look at the file information, details tab. At the time the only raw file I had to compare it to was from a Cannon 10D. For some reason the pixel height and width seemed correct for images from that camera. So, when the numbers didn't match for the P4P I got worried, mainly that I missed a setting.
Anyway thanks again for your replies.
Still think the Phantom collar and leash is a good idea!

Thanks all for your replies. Zzz, therapy? Yes please!
I should have opened the file in Photoshop, as a side not for those who don't have Photoshop Gimp is a good free substitute. What I did was look at the file information, details tab. At the time the only raw file I had to compare it to was from a Cannon 10D. For some reason the pixel height and width seemed correct for images from that camera. So, when the numbers didn't match for the P4P I got worried, mainly that I missed a setting.
Anyway thanks again for your replies.
Still think the Phantom collar and leash is a good idea!

I have flown many many many hours and long distances with my P3P, P4, and now P4P. I can assure you if the compass is calibrated, home point is set before you take off, and firmware is up to date you won't have a fly away. No need for that leash! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan