2 videos per single "session"?

Reaction score
I have not seen anyone else discuss this, maybe I am overlooking something obvious since I've only had my P3P about a week and have just over an hour of flying time...
Since I am still getting the hang of things, I just hit record right from the start, and proceed to fly around my local park. When I land, I stop recording - so it should be one 15-18 minute video I would think. I move the video (videos) to my PC when I get back home, any typically delete them unless there's anything worth keeping.

Every single time, I have had 2 videos waiting for me on the sd card. The second video starts right where the first one ended. There is no indication on the app while flying that video recording stopped and restarted. File size is not consistent so it doesn't seem to be a limitation there. Has anyone else seen this? Is this normal, or do I have something misconfigured? Any thoughts?

TIA!

You should be seeing the first file end right at 4gb

As Blade kind of pointed out, the SD card is formated FAT 32. A limitation under FAT 32 is that a file cannot exceed 4 GB. The Phantom is designed to stop recorded at this point, finalize the file and then start up again as needed.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. I could swear they were different file sizes but I will check for sure when I get home tonight. I assume fat32 is the only option for the format? Also while I'm thinking about it, is there a reason for preference between mp4 and mov?

ExFAT is the option you want when when formatting the card.

Did not see the second question.
Because the proprietary nature (Apple) of the MOV format is a major hindrance to me, I use MP4

Last edited:
Just as a quick update, it looks like the file sizes maxed out at 4,104,000kb... In other words, close to 4gb - close enough for govt work anyway :)
I'll have to try ExFAT and mp4, thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20