2 quick questions

Reaction score
Phantom 3 Standard:

Received a new P3S in December. Haven't flown it yet but have been studying the manuals and reading the forums, and I have 2 questions:

I have been using the flight simulator app at home while waiting for winter to end, and I took off the propellers to make sure I didn't do something stupid in the house.

Question 1: If the P3S were to start without the propellers would that damage the motors. I assume so but am curious if my assumption is correct.

Question 2: I now have access to a large indoor arena (actually a sports complex) and the owner will let me practice when no one else is using it. I assume practicing GoToHome will not work indoors since the P3S will see no satellites, and the calibrated compass would likely be misled because of the possibility (probability) of indoor interference? Can someone here confirm both of my concerns, or correct me if I am wrong.

If the P3S were to start without the propellers would that damage the motors.
No.

I assume practicing GoToHome will not work indoors since the P3S will see no satellites
Some people still get a sufficient GPS signal indoors. You'd have to try it and see.

the calibrated compass would likely be misled because of the possibility (probability) of indoor interference?
It's best to only calibrate the compass outdoors -- away from any metal objects/structures.

I would NOT recommend trying return to home in doors... You are asking for trouble.

The quad must raise to 15-20 meters for the quad to judge accurate home point with at least 7 sat... Lowering the height lowers accuracy of return to home, plus GPS is up and down in doors and it wont be accurate, GPS would be in and out also causing drift issues - which would see the quad switching from GPS to ATTI mode in it's own.

You would be very lucky if you didn't crash

Always fly in ATTI mode in doors (no GPS) so you're in FULL manual mode control.

Last edited:
Always fly in ATTI mode in doors (no GPS) so you're in FULL manual mode control.
If the Phantom has a sufficient GPS signal indoors, it'll still attempt to RTH if the remote controller signal is lost when flying in ATTI. FYI.

If the Phantom has a sufficient GPS signal indoors, it'll still attempt to RTH if the remote controller signal is lost when flying in ATTI. FYI.

My point is, GPS in doors is not accurate... Trying return to home in P-GPS mode IN DOORS would be asking for trouble.

Right on. And, my point is that you need to be wary if you're flying indoors with a GPS signal since your Phantom could still RTH.

Right on. And, my point is that you need to be wary if you're flying indoors with a GPS signal since your Phantom could still RTH.

Yep, less likely in ATTI mode because it doesn't rely on GPS to keep a steady hover, in ATTI mode the quad will drift around requiring the pilot to be in full control.

Just saying your new practice get better before you fly flying in atti mode is harder and can easily mess up

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just saying your new practice get better before you fly flying in atti mode is harder and can easily mess up

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In that case, he should only be flying in large open spaces outdoors with solid GPS.

Flying in doors would require stick movement at all times due to wind generated from props, bouncing off walls etc etc... I hope no one relies on GPS in doors

Reactions: jbe420
I'll add it's not that hard to fly in ATTI mode in doors, I have flown in my house before using ATTI mostly hovering - as long as you know what you are doing.

I would not recommend it if you are unsure and don't know orientation of flying.

Stick to outdoors and practise hovering first in GPS mode.

Yep, less likely in ATTI mode because it doesn't rely on GPS to keep a steady hover, in ATTI mode the quad will drift around requiring the pilot to be in full control.
Losing the RC connection has nothing to do with flying in ATTI mode. Perhaps I'm missing your point though.

I run my motors indoors sans props routinely to listen for anamolies.

Shouldn't need to worry about that unless there's strong interference or long distant flights??
Or, you point your RC away from the Phantom, the RC battery dies, you turn the RC off, or you accidentally initiate RTH. Whatever the case, it's important to understand how to fly indoors safely. It's not as easy as just telling someone to fly in ATTI.

Or, you point your RC away from the Phantom, the RC battery dies, you turn the RC off, or you accidentally initiate RTH. Whatever the case, it's important to understand how to fly indoors safely. It's not as easy as just telling someone to fly in ATTI.

Not sure what your point is here...

First of all, I am not telling anyone to fly in doors unless they know what they are doing.. In fact my way is safer than what you suggested - telling him to "try GPS in doors" could lead to injury or property damage as GPS does not work well in doors.

Secondly -

Before flying, you should ALWAYS make sure of these steps are taken before you attempt to fly... That includes, making sure the quad, transmitter and tablet/phone are charged before flying. (As you should know, this should be a standard procedure) regardless...

Plus the rest of the pre-flight checklist.

Last time I read the manual stated not to fly in doors using GPS but in ATTI mode.

Not sure what your point is here...
My point is that flying in ATTI mode does not disable GPS. My comments are not directed toward you. I'm simply trying to give the OP more information since he's asking questions about GPS and RTH. Ignorance is not bliss when flying a Phantom indoors.

ATTI mode only uses barometer to maintain altitude it only uses GPS to hold it's hover/position and return to home, which is why it drifts around in ATTI and not GPS mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20