2 Policemen come up to me......

Luckily for me, my dad was NYPD and I carry a mini version of his actual detective shield with number in my wallet should I ever get hassled. Hopefully, I'd at least be extended some degree of professional courtesy if questioned. At least they'll know I'm not one of the bad guys.

Don't want to sound like a jerk but that shield proves nothing other than you know a police officer. They're not suddenly going to be your buddy because you have it. Even police officers commit crimes and they have real shields.

I love my P3P but it seems like every time I want to fly in a different area there's always someone quick to tell me I can't fly it in that area. I never fly above people nor would I ever endanger anyone's safety by breaking common sense rules.

It's almost like the general population is paranoid that we are out to get in to their business with our flying hobby. I for one could care less about what people are doing in their backyards. I just want to be able to film cool things instead.

Don't want to sound like a jerk but that shield proves nothing other than you know a police officer. They're not suddenly going to be your buddy because you have it. Even police officers commit crimes and they have real shields.

Thanks for educating me. I guess there's really no difference between a "hey I have a friend who's a cop" public relations PBA police shield and an actual mini-tin that has an actual shield number on it. Gee, what do I know.. I only grew up in an NYPD family. I guess I've just been lucky when I was extended some professional courtesy on a couple of non-drone related instances when subtly showing the badge. Really, some cops are bad? I never knew that, but thanks for that tip. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for educating me. I guess there's really no difference between a "hey I have a friend who's a cop" public relations PBA police shield and an actual mini-tin that has an actual shield number on it. Gee, what do I know.. I only grew up in an NYPD family. I guess I've just been lucky when I was extended some professional courtesy on a couple of non-drone related instances when subtly showing the badge. Really, some cops are bad? I never knew that, but thanks for that tip. I really appreciate it.
If "some cops are bad" is what you took away from what I said then you missed my point. Oh well.

Be careful. I posted a pic on Facebook I took of an island about 1km out to see. CASA commented today saying they had taken a screen shot and sent it to their investigations team to consider giving me a $850 fine for flying out of visual line of sight. Though I could still see it as a spec in the sky.

Hi 53. Just out of interest, how do you 'subtly' show your mini-tin?

Hi 53. Just out of interest, how do you 'subtly' show your mini-tin?

I have it attached inside my wallet. When I flip it open to take out my ID, the officer may catch a glimpse of it. Saved me from a ticket once when I was asked whose mini tin it was. I respectfully make sure it isn't an obvious shove in his face. And if I'm ever approached by an officer regarding my flying and I mention that my family is NYPD, at least I can prove it. Hasn't happened yet, though.

Awesome picture and a great outcome. Thank you for sharing the story, your picture AND your camera settings. Did you do any "tweaking" on the picture in software?

Luckily for me, my dad was NYPD and I carry a mini version of his actual detective shield with number in my wallet should I ever get hassled. Hopefully, I'd at least be extended some degree of professional courtesy if questioned. At least they'll know I'm not one of the bad guys.

Funny cause when My brother who is now a retired police officer and also spent many years as an MP in the army. any time even a real cop tried to flash there badge or do any thing to try and get extra favoritism usually did not go over to well for them. Being he is one of the few police officers who don't like crooked cops or cops getting away with breaking the law and thinking that just because they are in the same clue that they are supposed to get some sort of favoritism. He also took it as some some of insult to him and an implication that he is as crooked as them if they think that hes going to just say oh well I guess your just drinking and driving but a cop so not any big deal.

Tho these days cops like that who are the one of a few good apples in the whole barrel or rotten apples are far and few. BUT there are still them occasional good cops that are not crooked to the core.

I have it attached inside my wallet. When I flip it open to take out my ID, the officer may catch a glimpse of it. Saved me from a ticket once when I was asked whose mini tin it was. I respectfully make sure it isn't an obvious shove in his face. And if I'm ever approached by an officer regarding my flying and I mention that my family is NYPD, at least I can prove it. Hasn't happened yet, though.
That's called corruption ...
A clear sign your society is dysfunctional.
So sad. :(

Reactions: unclejas
Be careful. I posted a pic on Facebook I took of an island about 1km out to see. CASA commented today saying they had taken a screen shot and sent it to their investigations team to consider giving me a $850 fine for flying out of visual line of sight. Though I could still see it as a spec in the sky.
How did you verify that their comment was legit, and not just a prank?
And what if you were on a boat? :rolleyes:

I strongly suspect they would send stuff like that via the mail, they're not likely legitimate if they post stuff on people's Facebook posts.
Considering they haven't the resources to pursue non UOC holders that post clearly illegal commercial jobs on their website, even after multiple formal complaints, it would then seem pretty odd they suddenly have the resources to prowl Facebook posts to threaten to fine you.
I'd go take a close look at the poster's credentials before taking it at all seriously.
And since they can't prove you weren't under your quad in a boat, it's a truly pointless threat anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers