Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

2 people Flying Phantoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Creek.Jumper, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Creek.Jumper

....Is it possible, as im assuming one remote would interfere with the other?

2. 480sparky

Many do. The transmitters & receivers are paired.

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

4. QuadGrandad

I've flown my phantom2 with two other friends, following each other, filming "flybys", and never had problems with interference. Maybe just lucky. Now getting too close to power lines/ transformers.. Another story.

5. RipperFox

Whats the most Phantoms flying together at one time has anyone seen? Any vids of 5 or so flying together?

6. Clipper707

I've flown 3 simultaneously.

7. MadMitch88

I flew my Vision+ out to 4,000 ft. last week and 370,000 volt power lines were directly in the LOS. Didnt affect a thing. Even seemed like it was boosting the signal. :mrgreen:

8. HarryT

What are you? An octopus? ;)

9. cokeaddict

saw a video with 9 phantoms flying as a group. They all flew fine. Man you would need to be alert.

10. noiseboy72

These TXs use advanced pairing technology, so I think the maximum is over 250 or something.

Now, that is something I would like to see :)

11. HarryT

I believe the limit is actually 40. That's the figure I've seen quoted previously.

12. noiseboy72

I have seen from 80 - 500 quoted, so take your pick. The pairing is almost infinite and the band allows for thousands of channels, so it's just the intermodulation, receiver rejection and guard bands that you would need to factor in to get a correct figure.

Not sure it's ever been tested in anger, but even the BMFA nationals with upwards of 200 competitors seem quite relaxed about 2.4GHz ISM TX use both on the flightline and in the testing area.

The main issue is more from powerful Txs on other channels, swamping the receiver and reducing selectivity to the point that the receiver will accept a control signal on virtually any frequency. This has been shown to lead to loss of control. but affects all low power radio systems, not just radio control.

13. Clipper707

haha! Couldn't have done it without the GPS. I was really only "flying" one or two at a time while the other(s) hovered.

14. N017RW

It does seem like there is the possibility for hundreds of simultaneous a/c operations.

There are dozens of articles explaining the Spread Spectrum technologies but here is one that is contemporary and has contact info for the author if one wanted to ask something specific:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/RC-Spread-Spectrum.html

15. darwin-t

I flew my FC40 with actual FPV (not the stock camera) along side a Phnatom 2 and an F550 with FPV. NO problem with control. I had interference on my video as I assume the guy flying the 550 did, since his control and my FPV were both 2.4 Ghz and my control and his FPV were both using 5.8 Ghz.

Each controller is paired with the receiver in it's quad. Other controllers won't interfere with it.