2 motors overheated and melted the body, caused to crash

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Phantom 2 Vision+ crashed, and after inspection I noticed that the cause of the crash was ... melted motor mounts, that are part of the body.

Camera does not respond, Gimbal is bended (stuck), drone body is melted on 2 motor mounts, legs are ollapsed, props need to be replaced.
Pretty intense damage.

Have 3 questions:
1. Did someone have this or similar issue?
I checked the forum and could not find "body melting". Am I just "lucky"?
2. Any recommendations on how to prevent this in the future? (if I decide to keep/repair DJI) :)
3. Does it make sense to report to DJI with suggestion to make a heat-resistant motor mounts that will prevent body melting?

Sorry for too many questions, my frustration motivates me to act. :)

Thanks,
Vasiliy

Attachments

• 20150109_175818_s.jpg
    20150109_175818_s.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 803
Open her up.
I reckon the wires melted and caused a short which then made the motors hot like an iron.

vagon333 said:
Hi guys,

My Phantom 2 Vision+ crashed, and after inspection I noticed that the cause of the crash was ... melted motor mounts, that are part of the body.

Camera does not respond, Gimbal is bended (stuck), drone body is melted on 2 motor mounts, legs are ollapsed, props need to be replaced.
Pretty intense damage.

Have 3 questions:
1. Did someone have this or similar issue?
I checked the forum and could not find "body melting". Am I just "lucky"?
2. Any recommendations on how to prevent this in the future? (if I decide to keep/repair DJI) :)
3. Does it make sense to report to DJI with suggestion to make a heat-resistant motor mounts that will prevent body melting?

Sorry for too many questions, my frustration motivates me to act. :)

Thanks,
Vasiliy

Dont open it up....Take it right back to your dealer and get your money or a replacement. This is unacceptable. I repair them and always tell the customer to take it up with the manufacturer first.

Jeremy James

vagon333 said:
You were unlucky.
There is no need for heat resistant mounts - this is not normal and was caused by a serious defect in tour Phantom.
You should not have to repair this. Take it back and get a refund or replacement from wherever you bought it.

Meta4 said:
You should not have to repair this. Take it back and get a refund or replacement from wherever you bought it.
Thanks.
I'll call support on Monday, but pretty sceptical by looking at DJI warranty terms on "http://www.dji.com/service".

vagon333 said:
Meta4 said:
Thanks.
I'll call support on Monday, but pretty sceptical by looking at DJI warranty terms on "http://www.dji.com/service".

There is absolutely no question that this is a defect... Unless you have opened it up and modded it.

The motors where running too hot from bad bearings, improperly flashed esc's, or the motor windings where wound improperly.

I agree, don't open your unit!

On the Phantom's box, what is your S/N? There is a thread discussion where this may be useful. They're collecting data on the Phantom's. Of course you will not be able to provide the ESC version, but your S/N and date of purchase (and what else you can offer) may assist to isolate other issues.

For some reason they are requesting to leave out your last 3 digits of the S/N.

Best wishes on your next unit (if you are exchanging it). It's just too bad they don't dry run (Burn-in period) these units before packing them up and shipping them out.

Michael

burlbark said:
There is absolutely no question that this is a defect... Unless you have opened it up and modded it.
Thanks for advises.
No modes, did not open, I'm not experienced enough to make changes ... so far. :)

Just more evidence there is an electrical heating/shorting problem with them. When did you buy it? Did it come with the new rc with the silver camera pitch control wheel in the upper left corner? About how many flights?

MapMaker53 said:
Just more evidence there is an electrical heating/shorting problem with them. When did you buy it? Did it come with the new rc with the silver camera pitch control wheel in the upper left corner? About how many flights?

I just purchased the Plus V3 with the silver scroll wheel in the upper left of the rc. Two non eventful flights so far. Should I be concerned? I'm in Arizona, so summer is just around the corner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers