2 days 2 crashes..... help

Reaction score
First crash I was about 50 feet up and the bird just dropped into a downword tumble and landed in our hayfield... Some hay wrapped itself around one of the motors and I couldn't shut down the motors whatsoever so shutting off the battery stopped it. I did a quick inspection, the props looked ok, so I fired it up and got a gimble error on my screen. I flew it anyways just to see if there was an issue and it pulled hard to the left so i landed it right away. Hooked it up to the assistant, didn't get an warning about the gimble, also said it didnt need a calibration. I did a calibration anyways power cycled the bird everything seemed fine and put the bird to bed.

day 2

I Calibrate the compass get 8 satelittes fire it up and go. Try to hover and its a no go, pulls hard to the left again and I counter bring it back to where I want it and no way man this is fighting me i try to land it and no way its doing it's own thing heading to wards our barn, i get up high miss the barn head out above the field and try to get control, all over left right down up this phantom is ticked off at me or something cause she is fightin me hard, i try to bring it home and it keeps fighting me going the wrong ways,, man this was a psycho pv2+..

This lasted for about 10 minutes, my brother had his pv2+ flying and I kind of yelled at him, get his bird down I'm coming in fast and hard in the hay again. I could only bring my bird in fast. I could not get any precise control. I maintained as much control as possible and I actually did a fantastic job. I cut some hay down on the way in, and it was kind of like captain Sully who brought his plane down on the hudson. Only damage was a badly twisted carbon fibre prop........ That i know of....
I am hooking it up to the asst in a few hrs.

Could It be the twisted prop from the crash the day before that did this ? I might have missed seeing that the day before after the quick inspection. Otherwise this was a crazy experience. I am flying the 1.08 software btw.

Carbon fiber props... (expensive or cheap ones?) ... 1.08 firmware (and are you running the new updated app?) ... crash the day before with grass wrapped around the motor (did you tear it down and get that motor off and clear all traces of debris?)...

Just some thoughts

maytech props, motors clean. + 1.0.40 app. I have been running 1.08 software for a month now.

Sounds like it might be a bad motor or ESC. That won't show up in a calibration check and might cause it to lean to one side which the flight controller won't be able to compensate for.
Check the motors when it's powered off with the props removed. Check that they spin freely and that there's no free play in the shaft.
Then check the motors (with the props off) when they running idling slow and see if one or more are spinning slower or stuttering.

Edit: Then try spinning them faster. A bad ESC might not show any symptoms until it gets warmed up or revved up. It could take off normally but once it warms up could cut out or be limiting current to one phase of the motor.

Dirty Bird said:
For ya-yas, try flying it with a genuine set of DJI factory props.

I have had terrible luck with the carbon fiber props - went back to the stock DJI's and never had a problem. One of the issues was I could not generate any lift at below about 40% battery - would just hover about 3-5 feet off the ground. Also, was real easy to stall in a hard reverse direction turn. I agree with Dirty Bird - try a set of stocker DJI props - you might be surprised (pleasantly).

I had a similar problem with my first hard crash. Check under the motors on the hard shell. I had a crack and the motor arm twists under torque and the quad can't keep itself level.

Look for damage on the white hard shell that supports the motors.

I can tell you this with certainty: The P2V+ or any other hard shell will NOT fit the P3. If your hard shell is broken, you're gonna have to wait for spare parts to be released.

since quadjam posted in V2+ section, I assume its a V+ and the arms arm are OK.

If me, I would change to stock props first, then re: cal, (after any crash you should perform) the "advanced IMU" calibration, not the basic and check the settings against the limits...

Hate to say this but you probably damaged one or more of the motors. Get a laser tachometer and check each motor at idle and under wide open throttle. I will almost guarantee you that one or more of the motors is running slow. On good motors at WOT you should be seeing about 10.5K RPM. Any difference between motors of more than 1K RPM is probably a great indication of motor damage.

Oops just noticed this was a zombie thread. Guess it doesn't hurt to post though

The question is: why carbon fiber props? Why? There is nothing on the market better than ORIGINAL DJI 9450 props.

When a motor is restricted by physical force the damage is most likely the motor controler (ESC) this is due to the current flow the ESC is getting to try and push the motor to its limit to keep up. Being the bird is down and the motor is restricted HEAT takes over as no cooling from the bird moving or flying is happening therefore the weak component an uncooled ESC is most likely the damaged component. With even an RPM checker it would be a 50/50 guess as to being the motor or ESC. If you hold a motor with your hand and go full throttle you will feal minimal torque on the motor but the ESC will get hot fast buy sending full current and voltage to the stopped motor in trying to have it keep up with the others or even faster to compensate.
When in doubt it's best to replace both. $ 20 more for $1200 safety is good insurance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20