2.8.4 for iOS - is it safe yet?

Reaction score
I'm not usually one to take new software quickly until it's been field tested a bit.

I'm considering downloading it shortly. Any experiences with it that should warrant me waiting more or for a new version?

Running with boosted P3S

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Been on it since it came out with no issues .
AC on 1.6.80 with no issues and updated my IOS today to 9.3.3
and have only flew 2 battery's with that but haven't seen no issues .
That's just me and others might have had issues .
Lots say if it is flying good stay where your at .I chose to test em .
Me not boosted .
Need V8 though ;)

As I read this, it looks like I can update the app without having to forcefully update the bird?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

As I read this, it looks like I can update the app without having to forcefully update the bird?

Yep. Just remember the 2.8.4 has the GEO fencing included. Some people don't like it, but it's not as bad as it seems. Read up on it before you download the update to be sure. Your choice.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes, Welcome to the Forum!

Don't how long you had yours, but the firmware message will say it is required. Makes you think your at risk.

I have had 2 bad events where I sent my Phantom in for repair after a firmware update that said it was successful. Actually I have never had one that said it failed.

To me, your taking a risk doing a firmware upgrade. :eek:

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I've only had P3P for about a month, so I'm definitely green on the subject. The GEO fencing does scare me to upgrade. I live about 4.8 miles from an airport. Will the GEO fence not allow me to fly at home anymore, even if I get permission? Sorry to hijack longdog.

Reactions: longdog
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I've only had P3P for about a month, so I'm definitely green on the subject. The GEO fencing does scare me to upgrade. I live about 4.8 miles from an airport. Will the GEO fence not allow me to fly at home anymore, even if I get permission? Sorry to hijack longdog.

To see the GEO-fencing info, go to www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

You will see a map that is moveable, and can zoom in/out. Go to your location to see what areas are in your flight zone. There are 4 'zones'.

Restricted/ Authorization/ Warning/ and Enhanced Warning.

Restricted is a no-drone zone. Authorization zones can be unlocked to fly. Warning and Enhanced Warning are just that. It will alert you if you are getting close to a controlled zone, but you can fly unrestricted. It's not as scary as it sounds.

Reactions: rm328
Problems with upgrades must be fairly random. I leave my iphone to auto update apps and I have updated my P3S when requested and had no problems, except for newbie piloting errors.
I do get signal drops if there are a lot of wifi access points, but non in a rural setting. That is more of a phone issue than the bird in my opinion, iphone continually hunts for other signals.
As for the geo fencing, the no fly zones on the DJI webpage are actually less than the ones on noflydrones.co.uk that I had used as a guide.

Reactions: rm328
To see the GEO-fencing info, go to www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

You will see a map that is moveable, and can zoom in/out. Go to your location to see what areas are in your flight zone. There are 4 'zones'.

Restricted/ Authorization/ Warning/ and Enhanced Warning.

Restricted is a no-drone zone. Authorization zones can be unlocked to fly. Warning and Enhanced Warning are just that. It will alert you if you are getting close to a controlled zone, but you can fly unrestricted. It's not as scary as it sounds.

Problems with upgrades must be fairly random. I leave my iphone to auto update apps and I have updated my P3S when requested and had no problems, except for newbie piloting errors.
I do get signal drops if there are a lot of wifi access points, but non in a rural setting. That is more of a phone issue than the bird in my opinion, iphone continually hunts for other signals.
As for the geo fencing, the no fly zones on the DJI webpage are actually less than the ones on noflydrones.co.uk that I had used as a guide.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: captainmilehigh

No worries this is good stuff!

Why would anyone want to fly in airspace where you could encounter " problems " causing not only yourself problems but also the rest of the drone flying community ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why would anyone want to fly in airspace where you could encounter " problems " causing not only yourself problems but also the rest of the drone flying community ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

For me, the zoning feature is not really my concern. It's software/firmware updates in general. Any known bugs, defects, of adverse behavior not intended by the developer but not yet known until in production use by the customer. I don't want to be the end user in the air to find this stuff out first hand. I'd like the new code to be vetted and confirmed good to go in real world real use situations.

Ok, this is not meant as an insult to any poster on this forum.

I have only owned my 3S for a few months, but I have read the posts on this forum going back to when the 3s was released. Since the first update people have complained about the software. Indeed the software the OP was worried about has now been superceeded.

So the question is:
Is there a definative previous version of the software that was absolutely the bees knees and totally glitch free? If the answer is no, then fly your bird and learn how it behaves in different enviroments and enjoy it and its potential limitations.

In 2 or 3 years the 3 series will be an unsupported, obselete memory and we will be flying series 6s or whatever and still complaining.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31