2.7k s 1080p

Reaction score
I have the phantom advanced and I was wondering if I'm making a film to be shown in 1080p is it best to film in 2.7k and convert it to 1080p or just film in 1080p in the first place. Is the quality better one way or another.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using PhantomPilots mobile app

A couple of advantages of shooting in 2.7k and dropping your footage into a 1080p timeline are 1. The ability to zoom into your shot if you want, and 2. Gives you more scope for straightening horizons when required, both without losing quality.

Yes, quality will be better recording in 2.7k and encoding to 1080p later.

Just one small thought. When shooting in 2.7K, you cannot shoot at 60fps. This may be fine, but it means you'll need to pay a little more attention to your speed when panning, tilting..etc. The intellectuals swear by 24fps for a more accurate representation of a cinematic appearance, but it also requires very slow movements especially side to side shots.

I personally shoot 1080/60p always. It's great for slo-mo in post also.

Cheers!

Just one small thought. When shooting in 2.7K, you cannot shoot at 60fps. This may be fine, but it means you'll need to pay a little more attention to your speed when panning, tilting..etc. The intellectuals swear by 24fps for a more accurate representation of a cinematic appearance, but it also requires very slow movements especially side to side shots.

I personally shoot 1080/60p always. It's great for slo-mo in post also.

Cheers!

Yes. I'm not making a movie or anything, I'm just a hobbyist who has just started this. However, after a small handful of videos, I've decided for my purposes (taking videos that are primarily viewed on a PC), 1080p/60fps is the best choice.

PS - I should add that as I get to be a better flyer and get better with the controls, I may feel differently.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20