2.4ghz wifi amps... FPV?? And how to convert AC to battery??

Reaction score
Hey

I have a few 2.4g 5watt wifi amplifiers that are brand new and just sitting in boxs collecting dust.. I believe people use these for FPV as its 2.4ghz..
They are not the same brand as in the FPVLR kits but look very similar. However they weigh just under 500grams.. not sure how much the ones FPVLR sell weigh.
so I have a few questions

1) Should I use this for FPV... ? If yes.. and I use it on the Range extender side... which of the 2 RE antenna's would I hook it up to ? Does it make a diff which one I use ??
2) Is there any point really using it... Isn't it more important the Phantom can send data to the RE ? All though I believe the amp helps a little on the RX side, so perhaps its useful ?

3) How to I convert the AC adapter to battery so I can actually use it.. Or what is the device people use on their amps to power them ??
On the adapter it says the following

INPUT: AC 100-240V ~ 50/0Hz 0.8A
OUTPUT: +12v = 2.0A

On the output part, the = sign is really a straight line with a dotted line under it...

I have looked on google and youtube and surprisingly I could not find anything except 1 or 2 people asking the same thing... Everyone has tutorials on converting battery to AC, but not the other way as I require.

I either need to create some type of battery pack or get the device other people seem to use to power amps.

I was thinking of selling these but probably only worth $50 each so I might as well see if its any use to me...

Thanks heaps :)

Re: 2.4ghz wifi amps... FPV?? And how to convert AC to batte

justin00 said:
..........3) How to I convert the AC adapter to battery so I can actually use it.. .....

Use it for what? Charging batteries? Just plug the charger into the battery and it will charge it.

Currently to power the amp device you need to plug the AC adapter into the wall socket (and device obviously) to use it... I would like to use batteries instead somehow to power the device.

Justin - that adapter is capable of supplying 12 volts at 2 amps to the wifi amplifier. So to replace it you need a battery powered power supply which will output the same 12 volts at 2 amps. That's going to be quite a heavy package if you want to power the amplifier for some time - not as heavy as a car battery (which can supply 12 volts at a lot of amps in order to turn the starter), but more than say a set of 8 AA batteries will give you.

I think you're unlikely to be able to use those amplifiers 'in the field' - they are designed for domestic use in the home.

Actually there is one way you could power them - that's from the 12v 'cigar lighter socket' in a car, but that's not likely to be very practical - you'd need to be standing pretty close to your car.

Thnks for that everyone :)

Greet.. those battery backs outputs 9/12/16V... Will it also do the 2 Amp part ??
And I assume I set it to 12v some how ?

Is that similar to the devices people use with these types of amps in the field ??

Dkes my amp sound like what most people have ? weight wise (500g) and power wise ? etc etc ?

Sorry for all the questions.. have no idea about electical stuff.. 2A bit bit scares me!

thanks heaps looks like i'll need to buy a device similar to what Greet said.

thnks again.

Bloody hell can't find the equiv in Australia.. its all phone chargers which is 5V 1 or 2AMP

What exactly are hese things called ? I'm usually almost an expert searching on google... can't find much in Australia grrrr :(

BTW do people stick the amps on the Phantoms too?

Would of thought most of the data would be from Phanton to RE ?

Thanks for the info guys.

I soldered 8 AA batteries together to make 12v.. was 2amp... tried it out and powered the device.... It definetly increased wifi power, but I had it indoors so wasn't much of a diff..
and its 5W but from alibaba so probably 1W at most.... I actually never run into FPV issues losing connectivity.. but just thought I'd play with my amps seems I have a bunch of them.

If anyone in AUS has a way to measure there proper output ?? The 5W it claims ?? and see what it really is I would be happy to send you one for free :)

I might do some acutally testing in the park.. would make a diff when have LOS ( as oposed to in my apartment with concrete walls)

BTW another question on electrical things...

Going camping this weekend... Plan to bring the Phantom... Will a 600W power inverter that plugs into cig lighter be enough to charge up the batteries ???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers