2.4ghz vs 5.8ghz

Reaction score
I found a deal on a phantom 2 vision with no battery, camera or gimbal for 425. I was wondering if getting a phantom 2 with the 2.4ghz is better than the 5.8ghz phantom 2 and setting up with a go pro. How bad is interference when flying, etc

The phantom 2 vision has 5.8ghz stock on the radio gear and 2.4ghz on the camera /osd link

So far I haven't had a problem with the controls or losing the link and I fly near and have trees between me and the phantom at times during some of my flights no issues to date

Now the 2.4ghz gear is affected by the wifi in the go pro camera due to it being on the same frequency band

Add $120 for a battery and you are getting pretty close to the price of a new P2. I am guessing this is one that has been flown and crashed, damaging the gimbal and battery? Is this the sort of quad you want to take on?

Pros: 2.4Ghz FPV gear has better range for a given power level over 5.8Ghz.
Cons: You cannot use the gopro wifi for FPV, as the signal is not strong enough. 5.8Ghz FPV is now very widely available and you will get far more choice. 5.8Ghz radio gear is pretty much specific to DJi and does not have the range of 2.4Ghz, particularly if you fly around the back of a building or large tree and lose sight of the bird.

Personally, I would spend the extra on a brand new P2. It will also be easier to fit the FPV and gimbal as all the correct wiring will be in place.

So best route is the phantom 2 vision and replace camera as I go?

Yes it is best if you already got the bird

noiseboy72 said:
Add $120 for a battery and you are getting pretty close to the price of a new P2. I am guessing this is one that has been flown and crashed, damaging the gimbal and battery? Is this the sort of quad you want to take on?

Pros: 2.4Ghz FPV gear has better range for a given power level over 5.8Ghz.
Cons: You cannot use the gopro wifi for FPV, as the signal is not strong enough. 5.8Ghz FPV is now very widely available and you will get far more choice. 5.8Ghz radio gear is pretty much specific to DJi and does not have the range of 2.4Ghz, particularly if you fly around the back of a building or large tree and lose sight of the bird.

Personally, I would spend the extra on a brand new P2. It will also be easier to fit the FPV and gimbal as all the correct wiring will be in place.

Would you spend the money on a new P2 or a p2v

I am in essentially the same boat as the OP, having picked up a P2V without it's camera/gimbal.

As already mentioned, the flight control on the P2V is done over 5.8GHz.

In order to get FPV with my go pro, I will need to add a 2.4GHZ transmitter/receiver and also to overlay flight data, an iOSDmini.

Looking for all the help I can get!

there is a few listings in the classified section for the camera

Where can I get a new P2v with no camera, or rather the P2 5.8ghz

A new P2V without the camera?? You can't. They come from the factory with the camera, and are not sold new/retail without.

Best you could do is find a used one (which is going to be a crapshoot because, likely, the reason the camera is gone would be because the Phantom had been in a crash... and you probably wouldn't want it), or a dealer's "demo" or "open box" where perhaps they cannibalized the camera for another customer that needed it but the bird itself is essentially unflown (happens more often than you might think).

(or, of course, find a used one, in good condition, with the camera and just take it off)

As you know, the straight P2 runs it's RX at 2.4GHz. So, unless you're going to crack it open and start converting everything, you'll want to go with that.

Won't the 2.4 ghz get interference from the go pro wifi and FPV hardware

Lol I've noticed on all my go pros that it just turns on. I wish you could just completely disable it

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4