2/27/2017 New P2 Arrived - No GPS Never Flown

We used to fly "all weatherGPS" including instrument approaches thru precip. I suspected what you said about sky cover to be the case, but then our receiver units were much larger and I have no clue about the civilian frequencies or power output.

The cable does have a nice snug fit, but I noticed poking around on YouTube, after you said something about a foil mod, that some people were rerouting gps the cable to the connector. I did not do foil mod as this is new and I suspected I might have to ship.

Where do I look for the "info pins" and are you talking main drone battery or GPS battery?

I still suspect at this time, after talking with Sam at Camrise, that probability is pointing at "pilot error" - not familiar with aircraft systems. :^). So tomorrow I may uninstall assistants, reinstall assistants, and recalibrate controller and IMU again. When I did it today after working out my issues, at first the drone would not shut off during the first power cycle.

By the way, do you have the controller on while you have the drone hooked up to the computer?

Thanks for your help and ideas.

We used to fly "all weatherGPS" including instrument approaches thru precip. I suspected what you said about sky cover to be the case, but then our receiver units were much larger and I have no clue about the civilian frequencies or power output.

The cable does have a nice snug fit, but I noticed poking around on YouTube, after you said something about a foil mod, that some people were rerouting gps the cable to the connector. I did not do foil mod as this is new and I suspected I might have to ship.

Where do I look for the "info pins" and are you talking main drone battery or GPS battery?

I still suspect at this time, after talking with Sam at Camrise, that probability is pointing at "pilot error" - not familiar with aircraft systems. :^). So tomorrow I may uninstall assistants, reinstall assistants, and recalibrate controller and IMU again. When I did it today after working out my issues, at first the drone would not shut off during the first power cycle.

By the way, do you have the controller on while you have the drone hooked up to the computer?

Thanks for your help and ideas.

The battery spring loaded info ( battery data) pins are right below the negative battery terminal. Having no GPS sats has nothing at all to do with the motors not starting as i stated either the GPS cable, the info ( battery data) pins and even the cable itself is not seated.

Question is have opened the shell to check the cable?

IMG_3616_002.jpg

Yes I have - but only looked at the GPS connector - it was in and seated. I will go back in as I was not aware of the other item - battery data-, so I will look at that too this time.

Yes I have - but only looked at the GPS connector - it was in and seated. I will go back in as I was not aware of the other item - battery data-, so I will look at that too this time.

If both of those data pins do not make contact with the copper pads on the battery will cause the motors not to start so will dirty pads.

My board is laid out a little different than yours. The battery data pins are the brown and tan right in the very center of my middle picture. Easily traced from the connector down through the shell and into the two small pins in the battery compartment. Where your battery data connector lies, I have the 4 small wire (2 yellow, red, brown) that runs down to the connector they provide for camera equipment underneath the drone.

Check the wiring coming from the 2.4GHz signal module to the Naza module from you photo they do not seem to be connected correctly. Another thing i see is that black shield covering the GPS cable if that shield comes in connect with the components on that module it will short out out the board.

IMG_0113.jpg
GPS module 2.jpg

I suggest cutting it off it serves no useful propose at blocking GPS signal lost..
IMG_0114.jpg

My X1, X2, and X3 are connected like yours. Brown at the top then red than tan. Also the last one (furthest to the right) is lower than the other two, just like your picture.

Looking at your picture of the shielding, it looks metallic. Mine is black cloth. I just did a continuity check on it and it is nonconductive.

My board is laid out a little different than yours. The battery data pins are the brown and tan right in the very center of my middle picture. Easily traced from the connector down through the shell and into the two small pins in the battery compartment. Where your battery data connector lies, I have the 4 small wire (2 yellow, red, brown) that runs down to the connector they provide for camera equipment underneath the drone.

My X1, X2, and X3 are connected like yours. Brown at the top then red than tan. Also the last one (furthest to the right) is lower than the other two, just like your picture.

Looking at your picture of the shielding, it looks metallic. Mine is black cloth. I just did a continuity check on it and it is nonconductive.

The only way to be sure it's not metallic is to check with a VOM.

The wires comming off the CAM socket are for the power/video feeds for the video transmitter/iOSD modules. DJI thinking is that all FPV equipment should be mounted on the bottom of the P2 but as you can see the only thing mounted on mine is the gimbal, camera and transmitter. Everything else like anti-interference board and the iOSD are inside that is why my photos look different then yours.

Yes, I used a VOM.

I have had time to look over everything in here now. Connections all look good and no wires look bent or rubbed. Honestly I think they did a good job putting this thing together.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, as they did help me trace stuff. I have read some posts in all the reading I have done this week, and have read about mis wired things, loose connectore and wires that were broken off at the connections - so it was good to take a good look.

Right now, I think I will just lightly tape the top back on, uninstall and reinstall drivers and assistants and try the whole thing again.

Yes, I used a VOM.

I have had time to look over everything in here now. Connections all look good and no wires look bent or rubbed. Honestly I think they did a good job putting this thing together.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, as they did help me trace stuff. I have read some posts in all the reading I have done this week, and have read about mis wired things, loose connectore and wires that were broken off at the connections - so it was good to take a good look.

Right now, I think I will just lightly tape the top back on, uninstall and reinstall drivers and assistants and try the whole thing again.

Here's one more thing you can check. With the remote off turn on the P2 and turn it over the 2.4GHz receiver has an LED which should be red.it's also the pairing switch. Now turn on the remote and the LED should turn green but that doesn't mean that it is paired to the P2. Look up pairing in the PDF user's manual to see how to go about pairing the two together.

If by chance the LED doesn't turn green at all there is a problem with the receiver. If all else fails sent it back for replacement or repair.

I sure will.

I sent an email and will follow up with a phone call in a few hours. Not sure how big the place is or whether there is more than one "Sam" but I referenced him in my email - only because he was on the phone with me yesterday - as well as my order number. Tomorrow is the 14th day since my order so I hope they can honor something since it has never flown or motors even run.

Jason, I can't thank you enough for all the help you have given. If nothing else, I have learned a lot from you. I really didn't want to give up on this thing. But don't know what else to try.....

Thanks again.

Update: Last week Tuesday after some phone tech support, I ended up sending it into the seller as he believed there was in fact a hardware issue. I was happy with that option because it will be opened up, repaired, inspected and test flown there. Shipping was free both directions and I have a well inspected drone.

Monday it was back already! Today I did a basic calibration (in case it was bumped in shipping). Also spun up the motors and shut down. While inside, I got a GPS lock within a minute on two separate occasions. So now the only thing I have to do is put the rotors on and go fly. Being a first flight, I will wait until it is above freezing, dry (field either covered in snow or muddy) and no wind. I expect this weekend will be it!

Update: Last week Tuesday after some phone tech support, I ended up sending it into the seller as he believed there was in fact a hardware issue. I was happy with that option because it will be opened up, repaired, inspected and test flown there. Shipping was free both directions and I have a well inspected drone.

Monday it was back already! Today I did a basic calibration (in case it was bumped in shipping). Also spun up the motors and shut down. While inside, I got a GPS lock within a minute on two separate occasions. So now the only thing I have to do is put the rotors on and go fly. Being a first flight, I will wait until it is above freezing, dry (field either covered in snow or muddy) and no wind. I expect this weekend will be it!

Don't be a hurry and practice flying towards you as the roll sticks are reversed also leave it in Phantom Mode until you have full command of the controls. Good luck.

Get snap on extensions for the landing gear as they will 30mm ground clearance.
DJI Phantom 2, Vision, Vision + Snap-on 30 MM Riser for landing gear. | eBay

These are not available in the UK but see if you can order them from the US supplier dwet6162

Last edited:

Those extensions i posted are no longer available simply because on ones carrying parts for P2 any more. Here is an alternative and again only in the US market. Contact supplier to see if they will ship to the UK. rctimer-usa (118 )
DJI Phantom V1, V2, Vision 2+ landing gear extension 30mm set "RCTimer USA" | eBay

Thanks. All good thoughts.

Were you perhaps writing to someone else regarding the gear extensions? I have no camera or gimbal underneath. Actually if anything I will want to lower my center of gravity for these first few flights.

I am thinking of making "training skids" out of some sticks around here to lower the CG a little as well as prevent a tip over as I get used to stick movement - craft movement correlation. In manned helicopters, the idea is to set down gently, slowly transferring the lift from the rotor to the weight onto the skids. Very important, especially when landing on a slope or cart. But I get the impression as I read here that once one touches, the idea is to kill the motors quickly.

Thanks. All good thoughts.

Were you perhaps writing to someone else regarding the gear extensions? I have no camera or gimbal underneath. Actually if anything I will want to lower my center of gravity for these first few flights.

I am thinking of making "training skids" out of some sticks around here to lower the CG a little as well as prevent a tip over as I get used to stick movement - craft movement correlation. In manned helicopters, the idea is to set down gently, slowly transferring the lift from the rotor to the weight onto the skids. Very important, especially when landing on a slope or cart. But I get the impression as I read here that once one touches, the idea is to kill the motors quickly.

Without a gimbal/camera mounted on your P2 but if you do intend to install the camera gear extensions should be used. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about CG since it doesn't have any effect on the craft as it would on a fixed wing plane.

IMG_9151.jpg
IMG_9150.jpg

These extensions are no longer available. Trying to find either longer straight landing gear or extensions for P2s is near impossible throughout Europe and only a few here in the US.

Got it in the air finally!!! Was awesome! Time flies when you are having fun so it seemed the battery went way too fast!

Sticks much more sensitive than anticipated so was able to set down the way I wanted to ... nice and gentle. I can definitely see the capability to precision maneuvering. It also was not as "top heavy" as I anticipated, so I am going to skip the "training extensions" on the skids. A real joy to fly.

Being my first unmanned flight experience, yes, I had to THINK stick direction vs aircraft direction. But giving myself time so it really sinks in. It really flies really nice - so much nicer than I expected it to fly.

Got it in the air finally!!! Was awesome! Time flies when you are having fun so it seemed the battery went way too fast!

Sticks much more sensitive than anticipated so was able to set down the way I wanted to ... nice and gentle. I can definitely see the capability to precision maneuvering. It also was not as "top heavy" as I anticipated, so I am going to skip the "training extensions" on the skids. A real joy to fly.

Being my first unmanned flight experience, yes, I had to THINK stick direction vs aircraft direction. But giving myself time so it really sinks in. It really flies really nice - so much nicer than I expected it to fly.

Once you get some time behind the sticks then you can learn what the sticks do in full IOC mode. There isn't much information in the User's Manual about IOC so do the research in DJI Wiki Naza-M - DJI Wiki and scroll down to the bottom to Naza-M Setup Wizard then select Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC). For me using IOC is good for doing camera work while flying in course lock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31