1st HUGE Crash Phantom 1.1.1 - kind of "fly away"?

Reaction score
Have made 10 completely successful flights in the past few days I have owned the phantom 1.1.1. Have properly updated and calibrated the bird 100%. tonight I went out to show friend and when I plugged the battery cable in it gave me a red and yellow alternating flashes so I did the field compass calibration and it went back green and I got confirmed gps lock and slow green flashing lights. I took off and had it hover in low slow flight in front of us for a minute to explain the controls before I took it up to about 30 ft in a field near the parking lot. I immediatly put it into a fast forward pitch and began to fly a circle and all of a sudden it started to fly away from the direction I was moving it. I realized something wasnt correct so I let go of the stick to let it hover since it was in gps mode. it continued to fly in a random direction. I then fought against that direction and it began to fly back towards me but was still not completely under my control (I do not know what the lights were doing at these moments). then It made a big loop with me fighting it and I was able to make it lose altitude while it was heading into the side of a large building. it crashed into the ground and destroyed the prop guards and nocked the battery from the compartment. I then put the battery back in and it started going through normal start up lights, I did a field compass calibration and took it to the air again. it seemed to fly well but then slowly started flying in a small circle and would sometimes start to drift slowly in a random direction. I just brought it inside and am running a imu calibration now.

Im worried as to why it "flew awau" but I maintained some control of the phantom? Is this unit deffective or did I miss something????

When you tried to gain back control of it did you switch it into ATTI mode? If something is interfering with your unit it would most likely happen while its in GPS mode in which you should switch it out of that mode and gain control back in ATTI mode! The fact that it started flashing yellow and red from the start and then you loss control while flying it is telling me that something may be near by messing up your compass readings! When that yellow red light happens I wouldn't trust a simple dance I would do a software checkup and see what the compass readings are which may mean you'll have to lower it manually with a magnet if it's showing to high of a reading!!

I did a Field Compass Calibration and it went back to green slow flashing and it held a perfect hover before the "mild fly away". After the incident, I ran the diagnostics and it needed an IMU calibration but im assuming its from the impact, the compass #s were fine.

I did attempt to put it in attitude mode but I can't confirm that I was successful in achieving that as at that point it was all a blur and could have been pilot error. I may have also put it in home lock mode...

Next time I know to put it in attitude mode 1st then shut off the transmitter!

PS I just went out and had a perfect flight in the same area

Re: 1st HUGE Crash Phantom 1.1.1 - kind of "fly away"?

For reference... what are good compass numbers?

Re: 1st HUGE Crash Phantom 1.1.1 - kind of

Jebus said:

There is a DJI video explaining how to use a magnet to reset your compass. Inside the assistant software you can see some numbers when you view the compass data. One of those numbers should be around 1600 - 1700 if my memory is right. If its much higher than that then a normal calibration routine cannot reset the compass. In that situation you move a magnet around the compass and keep checking the reading in the assistant software until your back within the 1600 - 1700 range.

Much clearer in the video though :)

Also be patient when doing compass recal w/magnet - it can be a real PITA. I've done it a couple of times and it can take up to 20 mins of trying to get #s down. But once they're down, do an advance IMU cal & the compass dance and your rig should be rock solid in a hover.

compass # has always and still is right around 1400. I thought this was acceptable? Im afraid of losing confidence in this aircraft, I almost hope that it was pilot error. I have contacted the distributor and DJI to see if they have anything to say. I purchased it on my AMEX so im wondering if I should just consider it accidental damage and get my money back to get a new one... or just replace the broken prop guards.

Kamgopro said:
I purchased it on my AMEX so im wondering if I should just consider it accidental damage and get my money back to get a new one... or just replace the broken prop guards.

That puts you in a rather strong position I think ;) If ever I buy another DJI product I think I will use my Amex, if I can find a supplier in the UK who will accept it that is.

I realized that when I did the first required field compass calibration after the lights prompted me, it was on concrete slab next to a small delivery truck with metal siding. It hovered fine right at that site, it acted strange when I was away from that area over a grass field flying an abrupt fast forward pitch. I have taken off from that area before but I don't think i ever did a compass calibration over the concrete next to a metal truck... I know its easy to say "surely this is it" but it still makes me wonder.

I have read the AMEX extended coverage regulations but have never actually filed a claim myself. I had a relative who got a $400 usd camera reimbursed that they lost in a river.

Thanks shrimpfarmer. I think I watched the first bit of that video, but because I haven't had to deal with it (yet!), I didn't finish watching it. Good to know though - as I'll keep an eye on those numbers whenever I've got the Phantom plugged into my PC. Cheers!

Re: 1st HUGE Crash Phantom 1.1.1 - kind of

Shrimpfarmer said:
Jebus said:

There is a DJI video explaining how to use a magnet to reset your compass. Inside the assistant software you can see some numbers when you view the compass data. One of those numbers should be around 1600 - 1700 if my memory is right. If its much higher than that then a normal calibration routine cannot reset the compass. In that situation you move a magnet around the compass and keep checking the reading in the assistant software until your back within the 1600 - 1700 range.

Much clearer in the video though :)
When I seen this you had me wondering if my calibrations where off even though I haven't had any problems with my Phantom, I keep mine around 1500 to 1600 but they say 1400 to 1800 is ideal!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4