1st Flight with V3 Motor Upgrade

Yeah hold off.. A couple of us have/are putting the old motors back on :/

Keep them I reckon. It only would of cost you $100 or so... DJI are bound to say and do something.. and some point... but who knows when.
Hopefully the people with failures are letting DJI know..

dbfletcher said:
Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. Now i have to decide if I should keep them or just send them back.

Would be interesting to see a repair service pop the top on a V3 and run the motors hard to see if the thin wires get too hot over time and cause the insulation to melt or solder to let go.

I've flown mine 10 times so far.

Popped the top and inspected wired and ESCs. No sign of heat or melting. I'm pretty hard on the throttles etc.

(Knocks on wood.)

Which ESC do you have ? The one that says v2.0 on the QR code.. or the ones that dont ?

tritontr21 said:
I've flown mine 10 times so far.

Popped the top and inspected wired and ESCs. No sign of heat or melting. I'm pretty hard on the throttles etc.

(Knocks on wood.)

I'm trying find the ESC 2.1 but no one has heard of them.. I can't find anyone in Aus, or USA or anywhere who sells them....

With regards to the v2.1 esc, the one sold by Helipal is described as v2 but if you look close at the picture of it the label says v2.1. I guess this would need to be verified prior to purchase.
I don't know if it really matters as these versions appear to also be failing.
Now Frank is suggesting his logging of the "event" may show a different culprit. Waiting on his investigation results.
Sure would be awesome if DJI would get a little more visibly involved in this!

It said v2.0 I think. I should have took a picture or noted it. The wires do seem to be small. Concerns me a bit.

Put stock motors back on.. Much quicker doing the install for a second time.. Plus I got a new solder needle thingo, so was a much nicer and cleaner install :)
Anyways I can finally hear the diff in noise. Stock motors sound so much louder... helps to listen to them as close as back to back as possible :)

justin00 said:
Put stock motors back on.. Much quicker doing the install for a second time.. Plus I got a new solder needle thingo, so was a much nicer and cleaner install :)
Anyways I can finally hear the diff in noise. Stock motors sound so much louder... helps to listen to them as close as back to back as possible :)

Finially.... LOL! (Can U hear me now!)

What's up with this solder needle? Is it small in overall size, and does the tip get hot quick?

Nah the previous needle/tp was just old and burnt up. The same size as before, but new.. Cheaper kits seemed to have a fatter needle, but mine has a interchangable needle (and heat controller)... the needle I have isnt tiny like a a needle needle.. but its 1-2mm at the tip end.
new one is nice and shiney and seems to achiev a cleaner burn... the soldering done now ends up nice and shin and hard! (like you see from the factory)
Also let me achieve the same solder but from less heat selected (mine has a a dial you can choose heat from) I had tried to clean the old one softly using sanding paper but for $5 or whatever the new tip costs is was worth it. Make the job a little easier and I think more secure...

Went for some speed tests using the the stocker motors... now with 2313 motors I was getting 5.9 seconds doing the 100ft vertical test... with a couple of goes achieving 5.7 seconds
and now with stock motors I am gettin between 5.9 - 6.1 seconds
Does sound that about right ???

Really never got any OH MY GOD THE NEW MOTORS ARE SO FAST AND AMAZING RESULTS!!! with the 2312 motors... Maybe I was expecting to much, but definetly doesn't seem like 25% extea power... like I know its torque, which would help more when actually lifting, but I would of hoped it would of made significant gains verticaly and horizontal.. gains which should of been able to measure but just looking at it (and not results only picked up by using a data logger lol) so I am abit dissapointed in the power aspect... Ive heard similar comments from a few other people... Curious to hear when what the consensus of people thought???

One diff I can see is increases stopping power.. .but besides that, eeeeh to the rest of the results.

I thought I got better gains by changing to 9450 props lol... bust most people thought they had negligable gains.. but yeah opposite for me !!!

Anyways all back to normal and I'm a happy camper.... NOW I CAN ACTUALLY FLY WITHOUT FEAR OF IT DROPPING !!! :p

Anyone who can say with a certainty the 2312 are heaps, notifcably faster.... did you change your gains settings at all ?? When I had the 2312s installed.. should I of played with my gain settings ? Is that perpahs why you see a noticable result ?

I replaced my motors with the v3 motors and my esc have only the one beep and it flys fine. So now what ? Did I just waste all this money on these motors ? My esc say v2.
It was purchased when the plus first came out.
Now I'm so confused on what to do. I'm sure DDM isn't going to take the motors back.

You can do what some of have done. Put the old motors back in and wait until this issue gets sorted out. Hopefully by DJI and not through trial and error from the phantom owners.

What do u think dji is going to do for me ? Give my money back ?
Seriously am I supposed to keep soldering wires on and off till I screw something up ?
Sorry just pissed.

justin00 said:
Went for some speed tests using the the stocker motors... now with 2313 motors I was getting 5.9 seconds doing the 100ft vertical test... with a couple of goes achieving 5.7 seconds
and now with stock motors I am gettin between 5.9 - 6.1 seconds
Does sound that about right ???

Really never got any OH MY GOD THE NEW MOTORS ARE SO FAST AND AMAZING RESULTS!!! with the 2312 motors... Maybe I was expecting to much, but definetly doesn't seem like 25% extea power... like I know its torque, which would help more when actually lifting, but I would of hoped it would of made significant gains verticaly and horizontal.. gains which should of been able to measure but just looking at it (and not results only picked up by using a data logger lol) so I am abit dissapointed in the power aspect... Ive heard similar comments from a few other people... Curious to hear when what the consensus of people thought???

One diff I can see is increases stopping power.. .but besides that, eeeeh to the rest of the results.

I thought I got better gains by changing to 9450 props lol... bust most people thought they had negligable gains.. but yeah opposite for me !!!

Anyways all back to normal and I'm a happy camper.... NOW I CAN ACTUALLY FLY WITHOUT FEAR OF IT DROPPING !!! :p

I'm not surprised about the speed numbers. I never was happy with fact there was now wow factor with the new motors. However, with the fact they were sealed bearings and they were less noisy made feel ok about buying them.

The overall concerning the 100ft test. I have not looked at that data yet on my end. And I don't know if I brought this up or not before hand, but we needed to do the test in atti mode only. I personally think I forgot to do it. The reason for not using gps mode is due to being restricted to the 13.5mph (give or take). And now to look at the technically, we would really only need to measure up to the point of reaching the top speed which is going to be the 13.5mph. I would look at the milliseconds it took to reach that mph. And if you did 3 flights, you are going to need to keep in mind how often the data reads in milliseconds must come into play as well.

Btw, if my quad was not trashed I would positively solder the stock motors back in place until dji had a grip on the issue.

Its like everytime DJI comes out with something there a issue. Now I'm out of warranty and if it screws up because of there bad engineering I'm screwed , the wires are so small that when I soldered them , the insulation wanted to melt off. I do know how to solder.

Lol I did it in GPS mode :/
Anyways Frank sounds like you've conformed the speed is probably the same as mine anyways.. I would of been worried if you had been amazed with results (and I had not been)..

But yeah... doesn't make a diff now I got stock back on.

Ok finnaly got ESC 2.1... (actually have 2x sets of 4 lol but thats another story)
now with correct ESC the 2312 motors are heaps more responsive... I had a mate at park with a stock vision plus.. so much more throttle.. when we do 180 degree turns mine now does it with ease, my mates looks sluggish, his takes a few seconds to actually move in opposite direction, mine just moves...

its amazing. when I had 2312 motors on with old ESC the new motors sucked.. I was like eeh these are nothing special.. but now with the proper ESC I am very impressed.
It is just so fast, agile and well quick... doesn't beat top speed, but moves through the air with with ease.. and for you speed guys, probs will break your records slightly.

but yeah.... .us guys who had originally and uninstalled due to all the crashes... highly suggest getting esc 2.1 and putting 2312 back on... totally diff monster with the correct ESC.

BTW IF ANYONE IN AUSTRALIA WANTS TO BUY 4X BRAND NEW ESC 2.1 LET ME KNOW - $95 SHIPPED!!!

Oh yeah.. when you test, it helps if you have a buddy with a stock vision+ so you can see just how much slower it is.
=)

Just thought I'd update everyone on the saga lol.

very happy now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik