1st Flight with V3 Motor Upgrade

justin00 said:
Hmm found a little comparisson here.

600g/axis vs 800g / axis

per axis would be 2 motors yeah ? Surely it wouldn't lift 4x 800... I thought the total lift capacity was 1.x kg which makes sense if its 2x 800g

I really think it is 50g additional torque per motor. Making it around 250g total per motor. The motor and prop upgrade in torque would be like adding another motor to the arsenal. Btw, did you get any stats up to 100ft?

Yeah that makes sense.

No I didn't take the camera guard off.. I get a wierd whistling noise and it stops when you make any movement and then comes back. Its been doing it for a while now so its definetly not related to the upgrade. I suspect it is the camera guard... it has alot of holes in it and I think the air getting pushed down is making the whistling noise for some reason.

I've got it off now... So I will do some tests in the morning.

I actually think for piece of mind I might be a *****.... and buy new 4 ESC. The ones that say v2.0. Its only costs $120 AUD for 4 ESC. I'm pretty scared to fly now and I think for only 120 its good investment..

I' need to slow down a bit though as I have a few phantom projects planned. I should do more flying than tinkering around.. The GF is away so I get bored at night lol.

Anyways will do some tests tomorrow. Will be good to get some stats and then compare it to the other 2.0 ESC when I get them in a couple of weeks I suppose.

Its very wierd some of you guys got your phantoms at the start of the year and the ESC says 2.0, where as Bob and I got ours in September and ours don't say it.
Each of my ESC have 2 QR codes so I suspect in the factory they just firmware updated the ESC... However its always going to be at the back of my mind.. and the front, and sides.

Justin, I would think if you had the wrong ESCs it wouldn't fly as well as it does. I took mine up yesterday for 2 flights and it just behaved as well as it ever did. Perhaps even a bit more stable. There is no sign of over heating and it was 50 degrees F here in CT yesterday.

Yeah I agree with Bob on this one. But I would take some time to investigate it to see if someone else is in the same situation.

Yeah fair point you raise Bob. I haven't had any issues either and today was 31c outside. The motors weren't really hot at all. The low temp was consistent around all 4 motors.
I was doing some speed tests (no vertical testing due to camera guard) for a good 10 mins and still showed no signs of high temp. Also took off the shell and inspected. Not doing any movements by its self or anything like that, and seems to handle the wind fine.

I would agree its also a bit more stable when its just floating around and there are gusts.

Guess I'll just try forget about it and enjoy flying :)

flyNfrank said:
Yeah I agree with Bob on this one. But I would take some time to investigate it to see if someone else is in the same situation.

Frank your a speed and altitude guy with these new motors are you getting a lot of battery warnings when being at full throttle for a long time. Almost like the battery is suffering from the voltage beijg pulled. I've seen not enough to return home and bad battery (cannot remember the exact wording on that one) a number of times all the way from my new batteries to my old batteries but they are fine when just flying around slowly.

I was going full throttle for like the second half of the battery and did not get any errors or warnings..Little bit of a tailwind and got her like 50mph for abit.
Was basically just going full speed then breaking suddenly and turning around going in other direction at full for like 8 mins back and forth.

With the stock motors after I updated to 3.08 and updated battieries I was getting invalid battery, cell warning, low voltage warning.. Basically just cleaned everything and drained batteries to 0 and then back to 100 and all the errors kind of just went away a few weeks ago. So I would think I might get those errors on the new motors, but have not gotten anything luckily.

So I ran 4 flights today in 50+ degree weather. Very odd for this time of year in CT but I aint complainin! Again, it ran perfectly, hovers like a dream. Came home and pulled the cap. Absolutely no sign of heat related damage. I had the chance to fly with fellow Phantom pilot Art again today and we took some sound measurements. Each test was with the Phantom hovering about 10 feet high and about 10-15 feet away from the sound meter. Results: Old motor and old props gave us a 66 db reading. Old motors and new props 63 db reading. New motors and new props 61 db reading. I don't think a 5 db difference is significant yet we both agreed they do sound quieter to us. I think the tone of the new configuration is probably lower and giving the impression that it is quieter. But that is my opinion. Then again it could be my lower frequency hearing is shot from a lifetime of rock and roll. The sound meter is pretty accurate and we repeated the tests twice so you can draw your own conclusions.

On another front, I did some acceleration tests. What I did was made an audio recording of the tests so I would say start when I nailed the lever and said stop when I reached 100 feet. That way I wasn't messing with a stopwatch and flying the Phantom at the same time. I came home and then put a stopwatch on the audio. Three separate test gave me the same number of just under 7 seconds from 1 foot to 100 feet.

Jesus just saw your thread Frank...... :( is all I can say.

As you are aware, there is def some issue with them dropping.... Sorry for your loss :(

There are esc's out there now that are v2.1 on the sticker... Im holding off the upgrade for now until this all gets sorted out.

Mopar Bob said:
So I ran 4 flights today in 50+ degree weather. Very odd for this time of year in CT but I aint complainin! Again, it ran perfectly, hovers like a dream. Came home and pulled the cap. Absolutely no sign of heat related damage. I had the chance to fly with fellow Phantom pilot Art again today and we took some sound measurements. Each test was with the Phantom hovering about 10 feet high and about 10-15 feet away from the sound meter. Results: Old motor and old props gave us a 66 db reading. Old motors and new props 63 db reading. New motors and new props 61 db reading. I don't think a 5 db difference is significant yet we both agreed they do sound quieter to us. I think the tone of the new configuration is probably lower and giving the impression that it is quieter. But that is my opinion. Then again it could be my lower frequency hearing is shot from a lifetime of rock and roll. The sound meter is pretty accurate and we repeated the tests twice so you can draw your own conclusions.

On another front, I did some acceleration tests. What I did was made an audio recording of the tests so I would say start when I nailed the lever and said stop when I reached 100 feet. That way I wasn't messing with a stopwatch and flying the Phantom at the same time. I came home and then put a stopwatch on the audio. Three separate test gave me the same number of just under 7 seconds from 1 foot to 100 feet.

Based on this chart 5 DB is significant

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB

I have the new motors ready to be installed.
I have "V2" on the circuit board, not on the sticker.
I do not have any beeps after the start up tones..
My front LEDs flash red only after arming.

I'm still chicken to upgrade, especially after Frank's sad mishap.

Someone enlighten me please!

Someone said you need 4.06 firmware.. as opposed to 4.02
However it lead to a forum in german I think, and I could not read it.. Might try parse it through google translator...
Hmm in this thread there are sooooooooooo many failures in the last few weeks :(
Someones said 2.0 esc is 4.0 and you need 2.1 which has 4.06, but god who knows

The motors come with a little piece of paper that says the QR should have 2.0, not 2.1... so if you need 2.1 DJI is definietly at fault and should replace all of them for free, but yeah..

the thread is this one
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

and here is the german one if anyone can read it / give us a summary ?
http://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/T ... 18&lang=en

MrC said:
There are esc's out there now that are v2.1 on the sticker... Im holding off the upgrade for now until this all gets sorted out.

And... Bob.. I think me and you are screwed if something happens.. Like if DJI actually take responsibility, which they probably wont, but if they do... and me and you have a failure, they are going to turn around and say we are not using the ESC with v2.0 on it..... I know that is exactly what the Australia distributor, that sucks, would say.

Regardless of the fact that my machine is running perfectly, I decided I am pulling the new motors in the morning. Even though I think the ESCs are correct, I just don't trust the configuration. Those ultra thin wires, the confusion over the firmware level, and the whole fact that DJI has their head totally up their asses. Based on Franks experience, I think its only a matter of time when disaster will strike more aircraft and I don't want mine to be one of them.

Yeah good idea.. I was thinking of doing that also.. Going to give the Aus distributor a call in a few mins and ask what they know about this.
I'm going quickly do the 100ft test.. and then rethink what I am going to do.. I'm not seeing any life changing results with the new motors that really warrants the risk.

In the other thread it was happening to people 5th flight, 10th, 15, 20th flight.. seems like its just a matter of time.
I shall chance my luck for one more flight though :/

Hmm just spoke to the distributor, he sad he's sold like 30 V3's in the last 3-4 weeks.. Hasn't had any complains yet.
The other guy said 1/3 of them had to be replaced lol.. so who to believe.

He also said "yip the 2.0 esc" is fine, and told me I need to update mine. hmmm. I mentioned a ton of people on internet having issues and he's like "yeah can't believe them" and I'm like yeah but some of them are experienced and reliable.. Anyways what a tool... So that was basically ueless.

For what its worth.. I did the vertical test..
From the vision utility + logs.. the first line the 16291 MSEC.. when its on the ground its reported as 0 feet, -7 ascent.
Then when it gets to 107 feet (really 100ft as it started -7) its 22275 MSEC

latitude longitude altitude(feet) ascent(feet) speed(mph) distance(feet) max_altitude(feet) max_ascent(feet) max_speed(mph) max_distance(feet) time(millisecond) gps power pitch roll yaw motor on
-37.8505736 145.0112459 0 -7 0.39 0 8 7 0.39 0 16291 6 97 181 179 188 1
-37.8505283 145.0112437 107 100 13.65 16 107 100 14.85 17 22275 6 96 182 183 181 1

The highlighted fields are feet, ascent (altitude) and milliseconds.

22275 - 16291 = 5984

So that's 5.9 seconds I think ??

Pretty much the same as you got Bob. You were counting I think so give or take a second its the same.

It really doesn't seem much faster than stock.. both vertical and horizontal to be honest........

*edit* on the DJI site it says ascent rate is 6m/sec... so that is about 5.5 seconds to get to 100ft.. so my 5.9 is not to far off I guess.
Anyone know what the ascent rate was of the previous model ?

BTW I just made a video to capture the whistling noise.. you can also listen to how loud the motors are. Its actually a little louder in the video because of the echo or something?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32027

I'm going to put the old motors back on tonight as well. No real advantage with these motors and the risk is not worth it at the moment.
Who knows maybe when I put the stock motors back on I will notice the noise.

Forgive me if this has been previously posted....
In light of recent catastrophic mid flight events, if you are considering (as I WAS) upgrading your motors, you should take a read of this thread....

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

It sure looks like those thin wires from the motors are the smoking gun.....
(? Especially after some moderate to hard runs....?)

i was going to buy the motors/esc's tomorrow, i'm putting it on hold for now i think

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik