1st Flight with V3 Motor Upgrade

Fplvert said:
:shock:
If the new motors are indeed more powerful than stock; wouldn't the motor leads be sized to match? That's a pretty simple thing for engineering. Of course, some accountant may have changed ohms law!
Ha. That happens often. Lol. Good post.

No cover pull yet for me. But I will tomorrow and check what I have. Will probably log what I have at that time as well. As in taking some pic's Now in my case I already had new style ESC's, so there was no additional soldering for me on this one.

I'm not familiar with the thread Justin referred to. And because of that I have no idea what might be going on with the guys having failures.

This thread Frank.. Seems to be a mix of people running v2s and v3s.. but mainly v3s... hmm

bouvier said:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2908&extra=page%3D1&lang=en

And now there are reports on dji forums of new esc failures (burning up). This just keeps getting better!

The GF/Santa has approved early xmas present opening! Kind of hesitant to start.. might watch some youtube clibs to refine my soldering techniques...
hmm or get a quote for a hobby shop to do it.. but thats no fine so will probs do it myself in a few hours.

Are the mosfets the little square thingo's ? on the ESC behind the 3 motor wires there are 6 little square things... That them ?

justin00 said:
This thread Frank.. Seems to be a mix of people running v2s and v3s.. but mainly v3s... hmm

bouvier said:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2908&extra=page%3D1&lang=en

And now there are reports on dji forums of new esc failures (burning up). This just keeps getting better!

The GF/Santa has approved early xmas present opening! Kind of hesitant to start.. might watch some youtube clibs to refine my soldering techniques...
hmm or get a quote for a hobby shop to do it.. but thats no fine so will probs do it myself in a few hours.

Are the mosfets the little square thingo's ? on the ESC behind the 3 motor wires there are 6 little square things... That them ?

I read the thread in the link and didn't see anything worth referencing. It was more like early on stages where all were grasping to come up with a solution. There were different versions of quads/phantoms that were effected. As well as different version of ESC's combos. I removed my cover today and inspected everything with a fine toothed comb. Everything checked out ok. If your firmware is up to date, and you have ESC V.2, and the V3 motors, you will have nothing to worry about.

Dunno if its that easy to say... obviously yours is fine and lets hope it stays that way.
but that people that had it happen to them weren't as lucky.. They were running esc v2 and new motors... I read previous posts of a few people in that thread and some mentioned in other posts they had updated before first flight.. that doesn't mean the others didnt, just means they didn't mention upgrading..

Obviously v3 owners have the right parts and happened to them.. and a few v2 owners and happened to them.
They are 2 firmwares for the ESC V2's... 4.02 and 4.06..

Anyways.. I'm going to share in your confidence and install new motors and lets hope I have no issues either later on...

*edit* seems like alot of the v3s have diff issues.. motors, camera and a few other things. Spoke to my DJI dealer in Australia just now about Tezza's ESC and this issue and the said they have sold about 15 v3s (its just a small hobby shop) and 4-5 had to be swapped over for various issues..that is 33% !! He said his supplier is no longer swapping them over as they are losing to much money because DJI is not honouring the warranty in 100% of cases. He rekons it sucks because the shop gets most of its business because of the "swap over if any issues out of the box" warranty. People might as well buy them online for abit cheaper.

My huge concerns with the v3 motors is the WAY too small wires. why the hell did dji cut the wire Guage by half?

I think the problem here is dji itself. Don't get me wrong, this is a great product at a great price.
China's tech industry is growing at a phenomenal rate, and when this happens things usually slip through the cracks.
In my career as an aerospace engineer, there was a protocol for Quality Control. E.C.O.s, M.R.B.s, and the like ensured that there was a paper trail and a clear ancestry for revisions. dji seems to make changes willy-nilly, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

This motor and ESC issue is a stark illustration. I wanted to do the v3(?) upgrades, and it was damned near impossible to find out what version my ESCs were. Some boards marked "V2" were compatible; some weren't. The firmware rev is not marked on the boards anywhere, and it causes great confusion.
If an engineer makes a change, it needs to be reviewed, documented, and stamped.

I understand they are having growing pains, but Q.C. has got to be first and foremost on their priority list.

From what I've seen, I would never get on a plane made in China.

Just my thought on wire size... I think they did it to avoid the added solder joint...

From my inspection ... they used a much thicker wire to wind the motors... then they just extended that wire to attach to the ESC and shrink wrapped it.. that's why the wire coating looks so messy... almost like it's melted.

To me that was a good idea... I've seen some of the more expensive motors done that same way...

One less failure point I guess? For the length of the wire we are talking about and the amperage it carries... shouldn't be a problem... just gadda keep that heat shrink coating off of the mosfets and keep it from shorting to anything.

I did my conversion this morning and took it out for a test flight. Everything worked as Frank had indicated. Temperature seemed OK and no smoke! There is a noticeable reduction in decibels as Frank indicated. However, I have a lingering question about the ESC version that maybe someone here can comment on. The instruction pamphlet identified the V2 ESC by having a V2 printed near the QR stamp. Old version has nothing near the QR code. My ESC also had no V2 near the QR code but did indicate it on the circuit board itself like so many others here described. I went and did the conversion anyway but I have my lingering doubts what might happen over the long haul. Frank, do you recall if yours had or didn't have the V2 near the QR code?

I also have a question about what firmware version I have on the ESCs. Where do you get that information? It does not show up on the Assistant software.

CapnBob is spot on with his comments. This is a wonderful machine, but quality control is a major issue. I measured the wire gauge as best I can and I think the new gauge is 22 while the original motors were 18. That's a significant difference. And their firmware upgrade process is total crap. I have been developing applications for longer than I would like to admit, and we never never never released upgrades in the manner that DJI does. Total lack of control. So, bottom line is I will fly with the new motors keeping within a safe recovery zone. After a few more flights I will pull the cap and see what is cooking. Hopefully nothing!

Mine doesnt have the v2 near QR code either..But yeah I know what you mean.. new ones say v2 on QR.. pretty sure mine are v2 though based on:

No extra beeps after musical startup and the front red leds only turn on after you turn on motors..

in terms of the v2 written on the board.. that is the hardware version.. So you can have hardware v2 with firmware v1.. Problem is you cant tell what version firmware you have.
I believe v2 firmware is 4.02 and the newer esc with v2 written on QR code has 4.06.. People are sucessfully running the new motors with both variants of the v2 esc... in saying that, people are also running into issues with both esc.. however it seems like most people with issues are running 2+ v3 which has the newer v2 esc.. Could just mean less people have upgraded as opposed to buying a new plus v3.... not enough stats to actually figure out whats what.. I also read posts from people who said you need version 4.06 esc.. and people who said you dont lol...

Its stupid because it didnt have to be this confusing....

Great... wanna make this even worse?

I have an ESC that is labeled at the QR code .... "2.1"

When the hell did this happen and why do they not include any documentation of these specifics anywhere?

Now is it OK to use a single 2.1 with three 2.0 installed?

true

DBS is yours new / plus v3 ??

Its funny actually mine has 2 qr codes on each.. like it had one code.. and then at some point they put another sticker over the existing code.
It was brand new.. but I guess in the factory they had a batch of older ESC... firmware upgraded it and put a new QR code on ?

Another stupid thing is the QR codes don't hold any useful data.. like I was expecting a URL, or a part number.. but it was some useless info like "ESC" or something like that. Took ages as well to QR scan them.. ended up having to take a photo of the code with one phone/camera.. then opening up the photo in the gallery and taking another phone to QR scan the picture on the phone.

And yes.. your info has made it even worse :p
I'm gonna install them and see how we go... worst case it crashes and I'm down $1800 AUD :/
*edit* actually worst case it crashes over a lambo driving past, causing the lambo to swerve off the road into a hospital.. worst case I'm down $10 million and end up in jail :/

Yeah I've been meaning to check if Australia has something similar.

How you guys all going with the new motors ?

Started upgrading mine just now... Getting nervous again when I read the little booklet that comes with each motor... says to use an ESC which has "v2.0" written on the QR.
But yeah if you guys all running fine without issues I need to just get on with it. Gonna be even more nervous it will drop out of the sky now lol

Finally put the motors in. Wasn't as hard as I thought but for an amateur like myself it took bout 1 - 1.5 hours including cig breaks :] It was probably the hardest thing I've soldered.. quite proud hehe..
Started them up and sounds good.. Its 10.40pm so I can't test it. will do first flight in the morning. 1
Also redid the IMU. Very excited to test her out.

*edit* DBS didn't your motors com with a little 2 page booklet about using the right esc ?? Each motor had the little booklet in the anti static bag.

Hmmm the little tool to hold the motor so you can take off the props doesn't fit anymore..Its to small... The props (9450) attaches bloody tight when you spin it on.. and need abit of force to take them off..

My ESC had V2.0 on them. If it was not on there, the decision for me to continue would be on the pretest. Passing the pretest should say that ESC's are matched with important part which is the firmware. I have no idea where the firmware version will show up either. I checked when I did mine hoping to find v4.06 if I remember right. But as I say I never could find it listed. So I just moved on and felt like passing the pretest was most important. But, after putting everything back together and preparing the quad for 1st test flight I treated everything as if something was going to go wrong. I calibrated the IMU, then headed out and calibrated the compass with rebooting the quad. And then I only flew up to around 80ft and let it hover a few minutes and then landed a began touching the motors and breathed from a couple vents on side of the quad checking for the smell of hot or burning electrical wiring. The next flight I flew no further then 150ft in distance until returning it for a the same checks as well as listening for weird noises.

My situation was a lot around the fact that I had done numerous things to the quad all at the same time. I had finally installed the v3.06 firmware, added the new style controller, Flytrex Live 3G, and the motor install. So I was expecting something bad to happen that first time out the gate.

Oh.... yours actually says v2.0... yeah that is good then....
Mine does not say 2.0..... There was some thread that talked about how to identify if you have v2 ESC... but yeah if yours actually says it then its perfect. Perhaps the thread is just someone talking crap..we shall see.....hmmmmm
I'm kind of worried now....... Thought yours was the same as mine... hmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm going to do testing similar to yours... nothing crazy for the first few flights...just test the basic controls and what not.

Why the hell doesn't mine have 2.0 on qr.. each ESC has got 2 codes/stickers... I got it in september... :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4