1st Flight with V3 Motor Upgrade

Lol that certainly does ad to the confusion.. Thanks though.
Can anyone else tell us how many beeps you get the defaul phantom naza and v2 esc??

Mopar - apparantly that code ending in v2 is the hardware version..so its possible to have v2 hardware running v1 firmware... again apparantly.. we need v2 firmware.

Hopefully someone else can report back on the beeps...

According to a few threads..red leds on front after motor startup (not before) and no 4 beeps after the musical startup = v2 firmware.

justin00 said:
Can anyone else tell us how many beeps you get the defaul phantom naza and v2 esc??

Mopar - apparantly that code ending in v2 is the hardware version..so its possible to have v2 hardware running v1 firmware... again apparantly.. we need v2 firmware.

According to a few threads..red leds on front after motor startup (not before) and no 4 beeps after the musical startup = v2 firmware.

Yeah, I read that too about the LEDs, unfortunately when using a full Naza, you lose the arm LEDs in favor of the single LED dongle. I did a motor test and the new motors certainly spun up, but not knowing what's supposed to happen if you use v1 ESCs with the 2312s, I'm afraid to proceed without some kind of definate confirmation.

Justin I responded with a hour of info on the PM you sent. As mentioned, you have the new ESC's, and the numbers on your ESC board is the same as what mine has.

Btw, I bought all my parts from Dronefly.com except the props.

I read in some other thread a quote from DJI and they basically said... "it will fly, but *may* become uncontrollable and crash if you use the wrong ESC". It would be nicer if it just didn't power up....

varmint said:
justin00 said:

Yeah, I read that too about the LEDs, unfortunately when using a full Naza, you lose the arm LEDs in favor of the single LED dongle. I did a motor test and the new motors certainly spun up, but not knowing what's supposed to happen if you use v1 ESCs with the 2312s, I'm afraid to proceed without some kind of definate confirmation.

Yip saw that Frank, thanks heaps.
Problem is someone with ESC v1 had the same part numbers :( The ESC hardware was v2, but the firmware was v1.. so he had to buy new ESC for new motors.
Anyways I'm satisfied mine are v2 firmware... based on the no extra beeps and red front leds powering up after turning on motors.

What is the part code of the ESC in the v3 ?
In some pictures I've seen I can see it ends in "v4"
Anyone with a V3 taken shell off yet ?

From reading about ESC for last few days I think they are 3 versions ? v1.... v2 and now v3 which came with the V3 Phantom.. It sounds like v2 and v3 run the same motors but v3 has some other changes to the design.

Wouldn't it be nice if DJI would just explain what the f... they are doing when they have new releases of either hardware or firmware so we don't have to keep guessing. Anyway, I ordered the motors and props. DDM had the best prices that I could find. $18 for each motor and $15 for a 2 prop set. Free shipping.

I was wondering, is there any reason you cannot use the old props with the new motors? I assume you can as long as you change all 4, but you know what happens when you assume things!

Re: 1st Few Flights with DBSMODs as well

But I get what you were saying by the rest of the post... and it's the single most noticeable thing I observed about my upgrade as well... amazing how absolutely different the sound is... like night and day right?
I agree the new sound is awesome! But it might be mainly due to new propellers: I have impression that new ones (high thrust) have higher pitch and therefore the RMPs are lower at the same thrust, which gives this nice more bass sound.

Ooo new motors arrived today.. goto wait for Santa to deliver them now :( they look pretty fancy.

Time to pull all them notes together.....

I have around 11 full battery flights now on the new motors and props. And it seems like the more I fly it, the less noisy it gets. Even when flying in the same direction with a slight wind, it is as if the quad was in stealth mode. This should help next spring after it gets warm enough that the neighbors that leave windows open wont get so upset from what use to sound like a swarm of bee's.

Frank have you pulled the lid off since the install to make sure everything is all still good ?
The thread with v3 owners complaining of burnt up ESC wires is making me paranoid :/

justin00 said:
Frank have you pulled the lid off since the install to make sure everything is all still good ?
The thread with v3 owners complaining of burnt up ESC wires is making me paranoid :/

The esc's are failing at an alarming rate. This may be brought on by the insulation failures of narrow gauge wire supplying the motors. It is something that I dont look forward to fixing. I will have to stack the mosfets on the esc's and rewire the wire leads leaving the motors. :x

Hmmmm..... from what you have read is it mainly v3 owners? or has it happened to v2 owners who just upgraded motors ?
I guess there is 3 combos of users... v3 owners.. v2 owners with new esc and new motors and then lastly v2 owners with new motors but using existing v2 esc.
Trying to figure out which :/

the new version of esc is definetly diff.. don't have one to compare but i know they have extra writing... whether or not that is the only diff is anyone's guess.. well, anyone who doesn't have one to physically compare against heh.

burlbark said:
justin00 said:

The esc's are failing at an alarming rate. This may be brought on by the insulation failures of narrow gauge wire supplying the motors. It is something that I dont look forward to fixing. I will have to stack the mosfets on the esc's and rewire the wire leads leaving the motors. :x

I received my motors and props yesterday and will install today. I did notice the wire size is different on the new motors. I am not sure if the gauge is smaller or if its just less insulation. I'll check when I pull the cover later. But if its the gauge, the motor would produce more heat which could be causing the failures. Likewise, if the insulation is thinner, it too would produce more heat near the ESCs. At least I think so. If its just an insulation issue, then I suppose I could wrap some shrink wrap around each lead. What do you guys think? Does this sound logical?

Ya ive got top off atm and can see old motors had much thicker wire. I think Frank mentioned to me in PM new motors wire is copper if that helps at all?

Was also thinking of heatshrink but thought if wires are melting so would heatshrink??
Sounds like the main problem from the insulatation melting is it can cause a short.

Let us know how the install goes please.. and tips/tricks. Will need to do mine soon.

Thanks

:shock:
If the new motors are indeed more powerful than stock; wouldn't the motor leads be sized to match? That's a pretty simple thing for engineering. Of course, some accountant may have changed ohms law!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31