1st Flight with V3 Motor Upgrade

Reaction score
I finished adding the new V3 motors and props this afternoon. I was able to get a flight in to see if and what differences there might have been between old & new motor setup. The most noticeable difference is not the motors, but the overall sound. With the combo of motor and props, the quad is a minimum of 3-4 times less quiet. With there being less noise make the upgrade itself, deceiving. When I 1st launched off the pad I was trying to pay attention to the rate of speed along with if the quad was going up in a straight line. I had just updated firmware for the IMU, added the new RC, calibrated this & that & this again, and just way too much stuff all at once. I hate doing stuff like that because it makes it that much harder should any kind of issues need to be figured out. But sometimes you have to do it the way you don't want to.

I had a consistent wind blowing non-stop 7-12mph at the time of the flight. Which for me was great because I wanted to see how well it would handle any amount of headwind. And it really did well in this area. It also seem to of had more stability while hovering in one location in gps mode. And of coarse it is not faster because of the app's limits. But it does perform better before reaching those limits.

So far my personal favorite part is how much less noisy the quad is. The neighborhood will enjoy that for sure. Next is the thumb wheel addition to the RC. The thumb wheel is well worth the investment!

There is several parts of doing this upgrade that I did not mention. So fill free to ask any questions.

:D
Glad you got the upgrade going on, Frank!
Question: did you use the 9450 props before upgrading your motors? It seemed to me they were considerably quieter even with the stock motors.
Thanks!

Re: 1st Few Flights with DBSMODs as well

flyNfrank said:
With the combo of motor and props, the quad is a minimum of 3-4 times less quiet.

This one sentence twisted my braincells... "less quiet" = "more noisy"

But I get what you were saying by the rest of the post... and it's the single most noticeable thing I observed about my upgrade as well... amazing how absolutely different the sound is... like night and day right?

Other things...

Grunt... the reserve of power left for stopping, starting, and changing directions... this things has balls now... best I can describe it as switching out your car motor for a high horsepower model , but with a Rev limiter... you still have a top speed limit but getting to that limit from a standing start is done with authority... it absolutely leaps off the ground on launch with effortless power and stability... massive amounts of torque help to stop on a dime when coming in hot from a high speed run.

No extra battery time... in fact I lose a little

No extra speed... firmware controls all that and I knew it was the case so no biggie

Motors run cooler... nice... will help with longevity

Top bearing is HUGE but I wonder why they didn't do that to the bottom bearing?

Windings are very professional looking... I look at my old motors now and the windings look as if they were wrapped by 12 year old Chinese slave labor... the new ones are wound with computer like precision... really clean and pro looking... I like that

Overall motor resistances compared to eachother...
I always noticed on my original motors they had different levels of resistance when I would spin them with my fingers during pre-flight-check... I had a "best one" and a "worst one" and a couple somewhere in between... the best one was smooth and free and spun easily and the worst one was clicky and sticky and stopped first when powering down after landing...

With these new 2312 motors ... they are all the same... all have the same characteristics of clicky magnet grab when stator and rotor line up proper but the sweet feeling of free and well lubricated bearings allowing several full spins when flicked with a finger before clicking to a notched stop when magnets line up.... way more expensive feel to this motor setup.

All in all I'm very pleased with how mine turned out and looking forward to some more flights that aren't just "testing the new equipment"

Happy Holidays out there guys :ugeek:

Re: 1st Few Flights with DBSMODs as well

DBS said:
No extra battery time... in fact I lose a little

Wouldn't the flight time depend quite heavily on the load. For example using them in a P2V+ may net you less flight time, while using them with a P2+Zen+Lightbridge may gain you (significant)? time due to the increased lifting capacity?

are new ESC's required for the upgrade ?
I think I read there was v1 and v2 version of the ESC, and the new motors just used the v2 version... is that correct ?

And if so... the ESC say v1 or v2 on them yeah? From memory... I recall seeing a v2 on my ESC.. I have the version 2 (not version 3) of the PV2+ but it was purchased a few months ago so hopefully they have the right ESC... unless ofcourse totally new ones are required :/

Thanks

I did mine. I didn't need the new v2 esc. Mine already had them. I bought mine when the + first came out. Only thing I changed where the motors and props. Don't upgrade the motors unless you have the v2 esc.
Got my motors at Daves Discount Motors. I think the motors were 18 - 20.00 each.
Here's how I determined what esc I had. You can tell by the sound. Some don't say v2 but are. Mine actually said b2 when I opened it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2281033

Whats the model number of the v3 motors ?
Just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing... :]

Frank or DBS

Can you give us the site you purchased the motors and ESC from? Looks like a winter project.....

Mine will be here tmrw. Then I'll pack up and send the V"2" back. Can't wait. Mainly for the better gps shielding and scroll wheel.

Thanks for that.

What motor is this ?
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88503 ... d.11905/.f

Its $29 as opposed to $18 for the new ones... is it one of the older versions ? Seems odd its more money.. ??

Mori55 said:

Also I'm in Australias so have to get it from someone else..
this looks right yeah ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DJI-Phantom- ... 1564050381

Its just the pic that throws me off.. the bottom part that mounts to the phantom looks diff in the pic... but maybe he is just using a generic motor pic, instead of a pic of the actual item.. I've bought off that guy before, so know he's legit.. hmmm

Ya just curious what the $29 motor is though on the site you got them from.
seems odd the older motors are $10 more... ??

*edit* hmm it actually looks like the older motors are more expensive!! That ebay seller I'm planning to get them from sells the original version 2 motors.. and they are $40 aud, compared to $28 aud for the new v3 motors.

The older motors have always been around 22.00 US dollars. When I bought these new ones , there was a big difference in price among vendors.

Mori I read the thread you posted up to try and confirm I had v2 ESCs... The info in the thread is kind of confusing / doesn't seem to be definite..

Took the lid off mine again last night.. they say.
WM 301 BLDC V2

The front red leds also only turn on once the motors are red, which according to thread sounded like a v2 characteristic..

I thought I recall seeing B2 last night.. but I checked the pictures just now that I took last night I can see it says V2... which is what I thought originally. Might take the lid back off to ensure some don't say b2 and some say v2.. The b2 is probably just my imagination.

Anyways though, yours say b2 but are v2 yeah ?

*edit* btw can you confirm what sound yours makes exactly please ? I assume your talking about the beeps on startup ?

Heres a pic of ESC if that helps... hopefully the V2.. is well.. v2... :] ???
kinda thinking its better to be annoying/double check then screw up motors, esc or phantom (or whatever happens if you have wrong ESC)

1445jmh.jpg

*edit* been reading more about it.... sounds like both versions have the same part number... but the firmware is the important bit..
bloody hell this is confusing.... how the hell do we clearly identify which version we have...

found this in another thread

"If after powering up your P2 you hear 4 loud beeps after the initial musical beeps, then yes you will need to change the ESC's.
If no 4 beeps, then you already have the version 2 ESC's which also have the Version 2 software. "

Mine just does the musical startup, no beep safter... so based on that... I shall conclude I have the v2 ESC... unless anyone reckons that info is wrong ??

So if I can summarize this before I make a purchase:

1. Buy
4 new 2312 motors
4 9450 props

2. No updated ESCs needed if V2 ESCs are already installed (label on ESC circuit board identified with "WM 301 BLDC V2)

3. A little bit of soldering of the new motors to the existing ESCs.

4. Recalibrate IMU only since all firmware updates have already been done.

Mopar Bob said:
So if I can summarize this before I make a purchase:

1. Buy
4 new 2312 motors
4 9450 props
2 cw and 2 ccw motors, same with propellers.

justin00 said:
"If after powering up your P2 you hear 4 loud beeps after the initial musical beeps, then yes you will need to change the ESC's.
If no 4 beeps, then you already have the version 2 ESC's which also have the Version 2 software. "

I just bought 4 ESC'S from multicopter warehouse
http://www.multicopterwarehouse.com/ind ... search=esc

I get 4 distinct beeps after the initial startup tones, and these are claimed to be v2 ESCs. I am however using a full Naza M in my P2, so I don't know if that makes any difference. Just to add to the confusion...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj