1st Flight Jitters

Reaction score
OK!!! So I finally got my P3A in. Batteries are charging and I've been going through the app and checking things out to prepare for its maiden flight.

I attempted an IMU Calibration but it kept coming back saying it didn't need to be done. Is this normal before first use?

Other than that everything checks out so far and I can't wait to get this out shortly for a flight.

Make sure u do the IMU calibration even if the copter says it doesn't need it. Just make sure you have the aircraft on a 100% level surface and make sure the aircraft hasn't been turned on any longer than what it needs to be. there's several Youtube videos on how to calibrate the IMU properly.

oh, and definitely do NOT update the firmware. You'll more than likely be sorry if you do.

OK!!! So I finally got my P3A in. Batteries are charging and I've been going through the app and checking things out to prepare for its maiden flight.

I attempted an IMU Calibration but it kept coming back saying it didn't need to be done. Is this normal before first use?

Other than that everything checks out so far and I can't wait to get this out shortly for a flight.

Congrats on your acquisition!

For me, I never calibrated the IMU so far and haven't put new firmware on it yet, I now have my phantom 3 for three weeks and it is working like a charm.

Search the forum on updating the firmware, you'll find you should wait! Just fly it as is. Calibrate the compass though before taking off.

Happy flying!

Welcome !

Here's my standard advice to any new P3 Pilot:

With regard to the horror stories you may have read or heard I recommend that you check your FW version which will probably be 1.1.8 on the P3A air-frame and 1.1.2 on your controller.

DO NOT update the firmware on either !!!
You will see the DJI Pilot App telling you you need to update but that is an auto push message and just ignore it.

Download and RTFM. No, not the best written but there is some good content.

With Props OFF: Charge your flight batteries and controller. Perform a compass calibration. Perform an IMU calibration. Perform a gimbal calibration. All easy to do and it will force you to navigate around the app.

Next spend 30-60 minutes just browsing the app with the P3P turned on and the app on.
Learn where basic functions are located. Set your RTH parameters, etc.

I ran two flight batteries down to 50% doing just this the week before I maidened my P3P.

If you have not flown a multirotor or any RC aircraft before just take it easy for the first flights.
Concentrate on flying the P3 in front of you at all times. Do some slow 360 turns next. Practice landing manually after that. Ideally, find a co-pilot to help guide you through the first flights.

If you're an experienced flyer you'll have a blast almost immediately. The stability of the video image is astounding and the range of the P3 is fantastic.

:harry

Yeah I have 1.19 right now and am keeping it that way till the next update with the POI, Follow-Me features activated. Would really like Home lock as I found it handy when trying out a P2V+. I'll definitely do a compass calibration before lift off.

If you are using an iOS device, check out the SIM program, it's very basic, and SIMple to use, but a handy accessory non the less.
It will help alleviate a rainy day too. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: tundrastruck
Welcome !

Here's my standard advice to any new P3 Pilot:

With regard to the horror stories you may have read or heard I recommend that you check your FW version which will probably be 1.1.8 on the P3A air-frame and 1.1.2 on your controller.

DO NOT update the firmware on either !!!
You will see the DJI Pilot App telling you you need to update but that is an auto push message and just ignore it.

Download and RTFM. No, not the best written but there is some good content.

With Props OFF: Charge your flight batteries and controller. Perform a compass calibration. Perform an IMU calibration. Perform a gimbal calibration. All easy to do and it will force you to navigate around the app.

Next spend 30-60 minutes just browsing the app with the P3P turned on and the app on.
Learn where basic functions are located. Set your RTH parameters, etc.

I ran two flight batteries down to 50% doing just this the week before I maidened my P3P.

If you have not flown a multirotor or any RC aircraft before just take it easy for the first flights.
Concentrate on flying the P3 in front of you at all times. Do some slow 360 turns next. Practice landing manually after that. Ideally, find a co-pilot to help guide you through the first flights.

If you're an experienced flyer you'll have a blast almost immediately. The stability of the video image is astounding and the range of the P3 is fantastic.

:harry
Thanks Harry,

Manual read, pretty much the same as the P2

Went through the app and spent some time on the flight simulator, I think i understand the app. just need to make sure I got all the settings sorted out.

I've flown a P2 a few times and got fairly confident flying it, not too confident though to be reckless or extreme. Just in my combfort zone that it was easily enough to handle.

Heading out shortly to try a flight with it.

Keep it in close proximity for the first while.
Ah, perhaps leaving it in Beginner Mode... ;-)

Just until you are completely comfortable and familiar with the many features of your Pilot app.. Then let her rip.

RedHotPoker

If you have never flow a quad before I think you will find the P3 to be deceptively easy to fly. My 9 year old has flown mine. I think the problem is that it is so easy people get too comfortable thinking it will totally fly itself and so they stop paying attention pretty quick. The fact that you are nervous is a good sign.

Well it flew well this evening with a minor mishap. Too low to the ground on the side of a hill and it clipped the ground and flipped breaking the tip of one of the props. Pilot error for sure. Other than that and some scuff marks on the props. I replaced the broke prop with a spare and its good to go again. Close inspection shows absolutely no damage, talk about lucky. Since coming home, I've applied the prop guards temporarily. All that aside the P3 moves a hella lot faster than the P2, the controller feels nicer to, and the feel of the control when flying the P3 feels smoother. I wanted to fly it out over to an ice berg, but am not ready to throw this baby over the water yet. Fun times ahead for sure!

Out of curiosity, does the thread for the prop guards really make a difference? I didn't put on as I don't think it adds much more stabilty to the prop guards. Thoughts or recommendations?

Out of curiosity, does the thread for the prop guards really make a difference? I didn't put on as I don't think it adds much more stabilty to the prop guards. Thoughts or recommendations?
The string between the prop guards is supposed to keep objects from going between the prop guards. I've never used prop guards but I think it would be a good idea to help keep branches from catching the phantom.

I don't like the "string" idea. I saw a post here where the string got would around a motor causing the Phantom to drop out of the sky. I also think that if you hit a tree, the string would be a branch magnet and get stuck in the tree. While it may keep the Phantom from plummeting to the ground, you better be a good tree climber.

Certainly test it out in an open area but you've already learned one very important lesson. Fly higher than anything you *might* hit. It was a small error this time but if you had hit a tree or power pole it would have been a $1k lesson. Learn and enjoy.

Luckily I live above the tree line so no trees here. I put on the prop guards and have flown it since a few times now with no issues. So I am at the point of thinking that crash was just a one off dummy move by me. I am trying to get some nice aerial footage of town I live in, but am now finding the prop guards cutting in to the picture at the top of the frame. Now I think I will remove them again as it's quite annoying. If I wasn't filming or in an area where there were trees or greater chances of crashing into something I'd have them on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl