1st ever mini-documentary shot entirely on P2V+

tedw123 said:
hwb2107 said:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. I learned that it's difficult to use the highlight / shadow effect on overlapping clips when also fading (so I did every clip manually with RGB sliders) and I also prefer to do all fades manually. Used Adobe Audition for some of the sound effects editing.

Is there lens correction in CS6? I'm shopping around for good editing software and having lens correction to remove fish eye would be nice feature to have.

I have never done it, but I know that AfterEffects does, and it looks like Premiere Pro does as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vsQq8X-0_k

Fisheye removal on stills in Photoshop works really, really well.

I watched this last night when it was first posted and no one commented on it yet.

I also thought it was an incredibly done Phantom/Video Production... You should also look into uploading it to https://vimeo.com... There are a bunch of Phantom users who post up there also and it should get some nice exposure...

Looking forward to seeing more as the farming season continues...

Good Luck!

I really liked this documentary. You took full advantage of the aerial dimension in going up from the tractor, to being behind, and around the side, to have camera move from straight-down view moving up to horizontal that showed how the rows (albeit "fisheyes") merged and were apart of a large field. I also thought the length of the clips worked well with the story-line and faded to the sunset of a long day and an invitation to get to know your local farmer. Very nice job!

Very awesome work!
Wondering about launching from the tractor and whether you noticed any ill effects compass wise from the metal in the tractor. Did you do the initialization away from the tractor?
This retired Kansas farm boy is looking forward to doing some video of farm machinery in operation. (if the wind every quits blowing already)

PJA said:
I watched this last night when it was first posted and no one commented on it yet.

I also thought it was an incredibly done Phantom/Video Production... You should also look into uploading it to https://vimeo.com... There are a bunch of Phantom users who post up there also and it should get some nice exposure...

Looking forward to seeing more as the farming season continues...

Good Luck!

PJA, Thanks SO much! And very good suggestion on using Vimeo. I'll look into getting an account (I think I would need to get a Plus account to take advantage of it fully).

Jezabel said:
I really liked this documentary. You took full advantage of the aerial dimension in going up from the tractor, to being behind, and around the side, to have camera move from straight-down view moving up to horizontal that showed how the rows (albeit "fisheyes") merged and were apart of a large field. I also thought the length of the clips worked well with the story-line and faded to the sunset of a long day and an invitation to get to know your local farmer. Very nice job!

Jezabel - thank you for your comments! Really appreciate it. Admittedly, when I went into the day, I didn't know what story I wanted to tell. Only after the fact did I realize the general message, and then had to fit the video into that story line. The only downside was that I have some really, really great sunset footage (over 25 mins of raw taping), and could only use the one fade away shot given how the story line unfolded. Regardless, thanks again!

npalen said:
Very awesome work!
Wondering about launching from the tractor and whether you noticed any ill effects compass wise from the metal in the tractor. Did you do the initialization away from the tractor?
This retired Kansas farm boy is looking forward to doing some video of farm machinery in operation. (if the wind every quits blowing already)

npalen, you definitely have to! would love to see other's footage of similar work. I sent the video to a friend of mine who does ag documentaries, and he says he's never seen the kind of video of heavy farm machinery that we can get now with the P2V+ (and/or earlier model with 3D gimbal). I hope the wind dies down so you can get some good stuff. Thanks again!

Folks,

I've gotten a number of questions / PMs about video editing for this piece. Attached is a screen cap of what the storyboard looked like for this 3 minute clip. Again, I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Thanks,

Howard

Attachments

• sequence.JPG
    sequence.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 393
ocphantom said:
You must have a lot of batteries to be shooting all that in a day

Good observation. I had six batteries with me, but only had time to fly four times (not including the opening scene with the center pivot and the tractor parked - that was on one charge).

I would have LOVED doing another few flights, but I had to make the actual planting my priority. I lost some time when I failed to avoid an antenna on the roof for one of the evening flights....

Stunning reality check Howard! Great shots! Kept me watching from start to finish. Living in a rural community, I know there are many aspects of farming. Can't wait for the sequel. Have a YouTube channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiteram said:
Stunning reality check Howard! Great shots! Kept me watching from start to finish. Living in a rural community, I know there are many aspects of farming. Can't wait for the sequel. Have a YouTube channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiteram, thanks so much for saying that!

I've never uploaded / produced a video of that length before, so I don't have anything in the YouTube channel other than the one video. However, I will definitely upload future farm videos to the same place. Feel free to subscribe!

Great job. A film with a message for a change which should inspire others to get out of their backyards and actually film something worthwhile.

That tractor goes in a very straight line too. Is it GPS controlled or driver skill?

My 14 year old works on a dairy farm after school and during the summer...He is in AWE with the tractor...I swear his testosterone level doubles when he hears the sound of a DEERE...lol

hwb2107 said:
Thank you! Appreciate you watching.

Howard,

Excellent video AND content. I thought it was at or near professional level. I've always envied farmers and the wide open space they enjoy. If I had the money i would buy a couple hundred acres and make a living farming. My idea of heaven.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers