1st disturbing find on P4

Depends what frames per second you're shooting in.
Derp, I should have know that.

For reference, I'm curious how long the OP's video lasted before getting clipped (video size and frame rate) just to have something as a frame of reference.

I have a 1080P 60FPS file that was 6 min 42 seconds long and the file size was 2.8 GB's .
So you should get about 10 min on those settings before you reach the limit your talking about.
Seems to be the best for my needs.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have 2 clips both at 4K/25 one is 8m 25s at 4.21GB the other 9m 21s at 4.21GB (approx) - time lengths can differ even if you use the same settings.

I just reviewed two of my 15-minute P3A flights from yesterday, both recorded at 1080p/30fps (40Mb/s). Both flights showing first file ended at about 14 minutes and both are similar size of 4GB. And yes, there are skipped frames in between the split files.

In comparison, my previous car dash cam (Mini 0801) has seamless (non-skipped) video files, while my current car dash cam (Street Guardian SG9665GC) actually has a one-second overlapping video between files. I haven't shot with my GoPro Hero 4 Silver for a while, I don't recall any skip in its video files though.

Ok... this is something I never realized was happening. Should it happen? Hell no. I have a GoPro and a Drift HD which are used for motorcycle vlogging. Both record video for hours and cut files into smaller files. No frames are dropped. DJI needs to get a grip on this. Can you imagine people using an Inspire to film quality video and frames are dropped! Very unprofessional DJI.

Yes, that is unacceptable for professional video shooting. However for me as just a hobbyist it doesn't bother me too much.
Unacceptable for 'Professional video' ? .. I'd say unacceptable on a machine costing £1229!!!

What about the microSD card? Did you eliminate that as a possible problem?
if it IS a broad-scale DJI problem, I'm sure they will address it. THAT DOG WON'T HUNT! :)

What about the microSD card? Did you eliminate that as a possible problem?
if it IS a broad-scale DJI problem, I'm sure they will address it. THAT DOG WON'T HUNT! :)
I'm quite sure this can be addressed in a f/w upgrade. I'd always accept some design issues in new f/w, but this is one that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. On the other hand I have not had a chance to swap out to another microSD card as yet as the weather here is prohibiting that!! But if other users are reporting the same then DJI will have to act.

Just out of curiosity... after how many minutes average of 1080 or 4k does it take before it hit the limit and splits the file?

I don't think I ever record more than a minute of film at a time, but then again all of my films are assembled clips rather than full flights.
At 60fps in 1080 I get about 10min. Someday DJI will use a processor or gate array that's capable of 64bit addressing and we won't have this problem.

Last edited:
GoPro doesn't drop frames. P3, P4, Inspire X3 and X5 do. It can ruin shots.
Out of curiosity... How can a few dropped frames ruin a shot!?

I regards to the title of this thread: How can you call this "find" disturbing!? Isn't that a bit dramatic!?

Out of curiosity... How can a few dropped frames ruin a shot!?

I regards to the title of this thread: How can you call this "find" disturbing!? Isn't that a bit dramatic!?
A1: place a clip on your editing timeline, then cut the clip in half and take out three or four frames were you made the cut. Playback the timeline (both clips) and tell me if you notice a difference at the cut point in playback!

A2: No!

Last edited:
I am a bit surprised that anyone would want to record continuous clips of such a length. I can't imagine what kind of video production would call for that.
Here's an example; a shot of a continuous flight that has been sped up for effect (and may only last 10 seconds) on a title sequence or to illustrate an area of interest.. You're obviously not a filmmaker!

Reactions: maseman88
Here's an example; a shot of a continuous flight that has been sped up for effect (and may only last 10 seconds) on a title sequence or to illustrate an area of interest.. You're obviously not a filmmaker!

You forgot to include your example. And in any case, if you speed it up for that purpose then you will be substantially downsampling frames to achieve an appropriate framerate, and the odd missing frame will be irrelevant. Strange conclusion too.

Reactions: konidair
You forgot to include your example. And in any case, if you speed it up for that purpose then you will be substantially downsampling frames to achieve an appropriate framerate, and the odd missing frame will be irrelevant. Strange conclusion too.
As I've said, you're obviously not a filmmaker.

I know this would piss me right off; imagine getting the perfect shot 30 seconds long and then bringing it home and finding that perfect shot split up in the middle and missing several frames. Ludicrous that this would be happening, and the DJI apologists in this thread are just as ridiculous.

Reactions: CANEKiTA
I know this would piss me right off; imagine getting the perfect shot 30 seconds long and then bringing it home and finding that perfect shot split up in the middle and missing several frames. Ludicrous that this would be happening, and the DJI apologists in this thread are just as ridiculous.

That would be annoying, but again - who simply records continuous video to extract from? I always start a new clip for each planned element. More efficient, and easier to keep track of clips. You don't do that, or are you just imagining things to get angry about?

This just happened to me today. Was flying my P4 around a lake and between each clip segment it skipped a frame. My gopro hero 4 doesn't do this. They need to get this fixed!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik