$1500 just flew away and kept going

I feel so happy for you! I almost had tears in my eyes when I read this story ;-) I'm really excited to get more information and watch the baby's video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

I have to mention that the 3DR Solo has something (or will have it soon) called something like "smart return to home", where it will retrace it's flight back out for where it lost signal...which means it would take a path avoiding obstacles, instead of flying in a direct line back home.

It's in the current iOS Solo app. It's called Rewind and upon RTH defaults to flying reverse course of the last 60 ft by default. The distance to rewind can be changed or turned off by the user. Then it performs RTH (including 1st going to RTH altitude setting). Pressing RTH twice skips the Rewind and goes straight to RTH.

Reactions: Yiannis.B
So. I got home and popped my SD card in the comp. It didn't capture the incident I hadn't started recording yet because I was getting into position to record. I thought by some miracle, maybe, just maybe I had hit record. No such luck. I'm still doing the recovery video though and it will include everything but the actual impact footage.

It's in the current iOS Solo app. It's called Rewind and upon RTH defaults to flying reverse course of the last 60 ft by default. The distance to rewind can be changed or turned off by the user. Then it performs RTH (including 1st going to RTH altitude setting). Pressing RTH twice skips the Rewind and goes straight to RTH.

I set RTH to a high altitude and also only fly GPS mode if I feel likely I might lose signal or line of sight. Flying Sport Mode that turns off obstacle avoidance (even if you aren't flying full throttle) is a recipe for disaster. When in doubt - I've found that straight up is the best first response to trouble, whether that's RTH setting or hitting the stick when trouble looms.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: flpholt
I guess you're referring to the parachute system? Do you own it?
I've got Stop Flyaway installed on my P2, but without parachute module to have more fly time. I prefer to crash my P2 manually to the nearest tree rather than seeing it flying away without any chance to stop it.

So. I got home and popped my SD card in the comp. It didn't capture the incident I hadn't started recording yet because I was getting into position to record. I thought by some miracle, maybe, just maybe I had hit record. No such luck. I'm still doing the recovery video though and it will include everything but the actual impact footage.

Have you managed to get the recovery video up? Keen to see it.

Check this out:

What was going on in the Obstacle Avoidance video? It looks like it started coming back, saw the building, tried to ascend but then stopped and hovered. I presume that you managed to reconnect and that's when the drone turned and moved away. Am I close?
When it stopped ascending was that because of the ceiling limit?

That's a fantastic idea! But you should mention this in the DJI forum. I don't think anybody from DJI will read it here. If you open a new thread for this there I think you will get a lot of followers.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Reactions: pord
What was going on in the Obstacle Avoidance video? It looks like it started coming back, saw the building, tried to ascend but then stopped and hovered. I presume that you managed to reconnect and that's when the drone turned and moved away. Am I close?
When it stopped ascending was that because of the ceiling limit?
This wasn't mine so I am not sure,

It either raised 5 meters and then still wasn't higher enough so it just stayed

or it gained signal reception, he says he got signal back, so its probably just that. Maybe he was walking or in a car and didn't realise he got signal and that's why it stayed there for a bit.

Perhaps you should try reading what happened, and learn what the FAA guideline actually means, before getting it so badly wrong.
Also read the ENTIRE thread before posting something that's already been mentioned and resolved several times.

Reactions: Malcolm Reynolds
Dr. tones, glad you found it! Something though to make sure you're aware of. You said you got the warning "aircraft disconnected" then hit RTH. Once it's disconnected, it's not going to receive ANY commands from the controller (including switching to Atti mode). After 3 seconds of disconnect, it will automatically initiate RTH anyway (which it did in your case). You probably know this by now but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Congrats on finding it!

Reactions: Dr.tones
Dr. tones, glad you found it! Something though to make sure you're aware of. You said you got the warning "aircraft disconnected" then hit RTH. Once it's disconnected, it's not going to receive ANY commands from the controller (including switching to Atti mode). After 3 seconds of disconnect, it will automatically initiate RTH anyway (which it did in your case). You probably know this by now but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Congrats on finding it!
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I honestly knew it wouldn't do anything but in that moment it felt good to feel like I was trying

Well, it happened. She flew away. I was out in the middle of the desert trying to get an "epic shot" of a mountain. I didn't have "data" on my cell at the time. I went through pre flight which included compass calibration (away from the truck), GPS acquisition (19 satellites acquired), RTH point updated and confirmed, etc. etc... I launched with no complications. I even hit RTH and the aircraft returned and began to land in the proper location without incident. I canceled the operation and switched to sport mode and flew to my destination. At a distance of 9823.5 ft and an elevation of 787.2 ft I lost video feed and received an error message and chimes "aircraft disconnected". 15 satellites acquired at the time of disconnect. I hit the RTH button... nothing... I could see the drone begin to travel north (my left) at a consistent elevation, blinking yellow and red. I switched to ATTI mode.... no response... I had 9min 22 sec of battery left. We attempted to hop in the truck and chase it in hopes of reconnecting... nope. Severely disappointed in the failure of the "fail safes". Before you get all up in arms about stuff I coulda, shoulda, woulda, please just try to be helpful and tell me theres a way to find where she went down? WHY DIDN'T IT COME HOME!!!!!!!! 100's of miles from no where so I'm pretty sure that reward sticker means absolutely nothing. Last recoded location was the place it lost signal and became disconnected. Thanks. Bummed.
...Dr.tones, its been awhile since this post, wondering if you still have the FlightLog file, IF so could you please post it or email it to me..?
vadata(at)yahoo(dot)com
...thats the .txt file.. not the .dat file
Thanks
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20