128GB Micro SD UHS-1

Reaction score
Bought the wrong MicroSD.... I got 128GB UHS-1 MicroSD and just checked Phantom 3 spec, it says max 64GB... Has anyone ever tried using 128GB MicroSD on their bird? Really hope I can use this 128GB on the bird.

EDIT: In case it's TL;DR, I tried it and go app shows 128GB. So I think its not a problem. I will soon find out after recording without erasing the files. See if it can really write up to 128GB.

Last edited:
I bought it during the Amazon sale too. Uhh I didn't even know a max gb was a thing! Hopefully someone can chime in. I did film with the 128gb but obviously have not even gotten close to max capacity yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: jeganx
have you tried it in the drones camera and if so will it write to it. I'm not sure why you're asking if it will work when you can test it and tell us. Allot of the time a manufacturer put on the high cap. card of time of manufacturing. Not know that in two month there will be a higher cap. card out. They won't update because it not being tested. Some time it will work and other times it will not. So put it in and see. you may have to format it and it may only format to 64 gb's. Best way is to format it in the drones camera see what it formats to if it's formats to 128 gb next step is to do a video and see if it writes to the card with out errors. the camera will tell you if it can't write to it. You will hear it though the phone or tablet .

Reactions: jeganx
have you tried it in the drones camera and if so will it write to it. I'm not sure why you're asking if it will work when you can test it and tell us. Allot of the time a manufacturer put on the high cap. card of time of manufacturing. Not know that in two month there will be a higher cap. card out. They won't update because it not being tested. Some time it will work and other times it will not. So put it in and see. you may have to format it and it may only format to 64 gb's. Best way is to format it in the drones camera see what it formats to if it's formats to 128 gb next step is to do a video and see if it writes to the card with out errors. the camera will tell you if it can't write to it. You will hear it though the phone or tablet .

I guess I just want to be careful with an $800 device. Another thing is, I think the fw is stored inside the microsd. I will probably give it a try. Copy all the files from the existing microsd to the 128GB and put it inside the bird, see if it works. I know what you are saying, some smartphone manufacturers also did the same, putting a cap while in reality they can read the bigger microsd.

I bought it during the Amazon sale too. Uhh I didn't even know a max gb was a thing! Hopefully someone can chime in. I did film with the 128gb but obviously have not even gotten close to max capacity yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Actually you are close, try connect your P3 to your laptop and see the properties whether it is still 128GB or not. I think go app can also see how much storage left on your microsd. if it add up to 128Gb, then I believe its not a problem.

I guess I just want to be careful with an $800 device. Another thing is, I think the fw is stored inside the microsd. I will probably give it a try. Copy all the files from the existing microsd to the 128GB and put it inside the bird, see if it works. I know what you are saying, some smartphone manufacturers also did the same, putting a cap while in reality they can read the bigger microsd.
The fw isn't stored on the card it's store in the drone other wise you can't fly with out the card and you can do that. ou just use the card to update the fw. yes the files are on there back it's already saved in the drone.

DJI does advertise 64GB as the max memory card size, but it seems there really is no max. I've seen someone say even a 256GB memory cards work.

Why is a large GB card needed? I use a 16gb, after flight I go home and upload to my computer then put card back in cam and format. Always have plenty of space. Just asking, does everyone just keep their vid files stored on card?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why is a large GB card needed? I use a 16gb, after flight I go home and upload to my computer then put card back in cam and format. Always have plenty of space. Just asking, does everyone just keep their vid files stored on card?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Some people might have more than 1 battery and when recording at 4K or 1080p60, they will run out of space real fast.

64GB size limitation means P3 can address upto 64GB though you can use a bigger sized card.

64GB size limitation means P3 can address upto 64GB though you can use a bigger sized card.

Could you please enlighten me what it means to "address up to 64GB"?

Just to let everyone know I tried it and go app shows 128GB.

I am NW - think Lake Pleasant and Happy Valley Roads.
wow that is on the other end the valley from me. My buddy did a video of the lake a few weeks back. I don't get over there to offend. I do want to do some flying over by Wickenburg, along the train tracks just south of the town.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1