10am EST Sun. 2/15 DOT/FAA Announce UAV New Rules

Reaction score
There is a dial in conference number for this Sunday 10am EST 2/15/15

details:
https://www.faa.gov/news/media_advisori ... wsId=18294

WHEN: 10 a.m., Sunday, February 15, 2015
WHO: Conference Call with U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and FAA Administrator Michael Huerta
The call-in number for the call is (800) 230-1059. The operator will ask you what you're calling in for. Tell the operator you are calling in for the DOT Press Briefing. There will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end. To ask a question press *1.

FAA is part of DOT.

Why are they doing this on a Sunday?

(EDIT: Well timed SIlentAV8R!)

I guess they felt the need to do something quickly since the leaked document got picked up by the media.

Several people speculate that the white house incident may have helped push something along.

flybynight said:
called the number and recording said nothing scheduled for this time, its 9:00 am in minnesota so its 10:00 there right?

I'll try again in an hour. Perhaps a clerical person forgot to schedule the conference. :D

Sunday does seem odd, unless they are hoping for a Monday release of the information.

kitari said:
flybynight said:
called the number and recording said nothing scheduled for this time, its 9:00 am in minnesota so its 10:00 there right?

it's 9:10am here in Tennessee right now. I think we're EST time right?

Nevermind, I looked it up and we're central. Far east TN is eastern time though. (haven't had my coffee yet)

Charles osgood on cbs this morning at 8:00 am did state the faa has released new guidelines today allowing commercial use of drones.didnt elaborate a lot but it was released early this morning apparently.

" Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95."

So is this ruling for commercial use then?

pretty cool. wonder why we could now go up to 500' AGL? Figured they would want us to be closer to the ground.

If the link above is what was shown/ presented it is the first step of a 18-24 month final decision. What was shown is a NPRM for Notice of Proposed Rulemaking which is the baseline for comments by anybody... It is a start. Now everybody and the dog can agree, disagree w comments or submit new proposed guidelines which will be taken into account before the final rules of governance are finalized and ratified.

Is the a pro UAV group, lobbyist etc. if we ant our input as a group we need a strong voice...

who said:
" Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95."

So is this ruling for commercial use then?

Yes. But keep in mind that they are clear that you must operate in accordance with ALL of Section 336 to be considered a model aircraft. It will be interesting to see how they interpret "operate within the programming" phrase. I think that to be within the programming of a membership organization one must actually be a member od that organization. AMA sees it that way, but FAA needs to make that a bit more clear.

Also keep in mind that this is only a PROPOSED rule. It is not the law until it is published as FINAL, which likely will not be until middle of 2016 to perhaps early 2017.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj