1080P Vs. 2.7K

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback with people that have been shooting with both these resolutions. I tried 2.7K for the first time yesterday and quickly realized it's not as accessible as when I shoot 1080P. My tv won't play it (I know it's not a 4K tv but I was hoping for some sort of down conversion). And my crappy computer that I really only use for browsing the web and backing up my photo library has problems playing it. Windows media player can barely handle it and it's so choppy it's unwatchable. I tried VLC and that's allot better but still not smooth like the 1080P files. The only thing I have that can even display it properly is my desktop. Do you think it's worth the extra space the 2.7K uses and inability to even properly display the increased resolution?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Seems you do not have a fast enough CPU, video card and ram for anything above 1080p. Even though you cannot play back 4K or 2.7K video there are advantages to shooting in either one is the quality when converted to 1080p as there is more detail which means you can crop in and still maintain quality.

VLC is pretty bad at playing back raw 4k footage so I wouldn't expect it to be great on 2.7k either. Try MPC-HC from mpc-hc.org

I was sceptical myself until I tried it, as I always believed if VLC couldn't play it, nothing would.

Unless you have a mac make sure u shoot in mp4.
2.7k is useles unless unless u have a computer that will handel it, not to mention even if u share it not alot of people will see it cause most tv/monitors are stuck at 1080.
I always stick with 1080 mp4 and am good.
Even then make sure u have a good video editor to read the files and manage them durimg edit

QuickTime will play it the best but it too will depend on your hardware.

I don't even remember seeing a 2.7k video setting in the Go App? .. Assuming I can find the setting I will give it a try and see how it looks compared to 1080P.
Is here .
IMG_2421.PNG

It seams like the one I shot in 2.7k looks like there is indeed more detail and a little bit better color. I actually remember noticing this decades ago with my digital cameras. I would shoot something in 5mp and resize it down to .3mp and it always looked better than something that was shot in .3mp in the first place.

Neither my desk top nor my laptop can play 2.7k. It just plays back choppy and jumpy. I have been using 1080 and that looks fine on my 55" 4K Hi Def TV. Most TV stations broadcast their "High Definition" content in 720, so you're still better than that standard. But, as Jason says above, you're limiting your post-editing options as you can't crop your video. That said, I only crop stills, not movies.

I'm going to test out Jorge Jim's suggestion today though; I had left the video settings in .MOV but I use Windows; I'll try shooting in 2.7 MP4 today. I noticed that the 30fps options changes to 26 fps when you change the ssetting to mp4.... Not sure if I'll notice the effect...

I was hoping to get some feedback with people that have been shooting with both these resolutions. I tried 2.7K for the first time yesterday and quickly realized it's not as accessible as when I shoot 1080P. My tv won't play it (I know it's not a 4K tv but I was hoping for some sort of down conversion). And my crappy computer that I really only use for browsing the web and backing up my photo library has problems playing it. Windows media player can barely handle it and it's so choppy it's unwatchable. I tried VLC and that's allot better but still not smooth like the 1080P files. The only thing I have that can even display it properly is my desktop. Do you think it's worth the extra space the 2.7K uses and inability to even properly display the increased resolution?

Yes. It's worth upgrading your other devices to see it on 2.7k. The clarity is astounding. But now i want 4K.

Seems you do not have a fast enough CPU, video card and ram for anything above 1080p. Even though you cannot play back 4K or 2.7K video there are advantages to shooting in either one is the quality when converted to 1080p as there is more detail which means you can crop in and still maintain quality.
Can you suggest software to convert 2.7K into 1080p please - Thanks

You can use GoPro Studio it's a free editing and can handle all your needs.
Really. Thanks for the heads up. I was looking yesterday for something. I recorded everything in 2.7k and want to edit it. But j want it to play on my iPad as well.

You can use GoPro Studio it's a free editing and can handle all your needs.
But GoPro studio doesn't let you trim your vids right? I tried and it said only GoPro vids could be trimmed. Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry, I also do all my edits on the PC. I have been using power director but it's too bulky when I just want to do a few quick cuts

But GoPro studio doesn't let you trim your vids right? I tried and it said only GoPro vids could be trimmed. Am I doing something wrong?

That's correct.

Really. Thanks for the heads up. I was looking yesterday for something. I recorded everything in 2.7k and want to edit it. But j want it to play on my iPad as well.

I use a PC and have no idea if GP Studio has a version for the iPad.

I've been using OpenShot (OpenShot Video Editor | Simple, powerful, and free video editor for Linux!) for a while now. Very simple to use. I'm thinking about switching to something more powerful as I find the colour correction options to be awkward to use.

I use Adobe master collection CS6 bought it some time ago on ebay for under $1000.00. There's also Adobe CC subscription for $50 a month and you access to every program they offer. Edius is another good program for under a $1000.00 with much easier learning curve.

On my iPhone i just use cameo by Vimeo. It's super simple but does everything I want right now. It handles the 2.7k video just as easy as 1080p on my iPhone 6s. The video looks allot better on Vimeo too vs YouTube I have noticed. Please don't judge my editing I did this while watching tv lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4