1080p 30fps vs. 720p 60fps

Reaction score
I've been spending time playing around with settings under different conditions and the latter seems better.

Obviously 60fps is better for slow mo but just regular speed playback is smoother

What's the benefit of shooting 1080p as 90% of playback is going to be on a 22" or smaller computer monitor with a viewer less than 2 feet away? Is there any viewable difference? Perhaps if you are shooting a wide shot of like a golf course or forest from 400 feet up...

FalconPix said:
I've been spending time playing around with settings under different conditions and the latter seems better.

Obviously 60fps is better for slow mo but just regular speed playback is smoother

What's the benefit of shooting 1080p as 90% of playback is going to be on a 22" or smaller computer monitor with a viewer less than 2 feet away? Is there any viewable difference? Perhaps if you are shooting a wide shot of like a golf course or forest from 400 feet up...

1080 offers 50% better resolution so where you will notice the difference is better resolution and finer detail. 720*60 video is smoother, particularly in slow-motion. 720*60 videos will be larger than their 1080*30 counterparts.

I've taken a lot of comparison shots. Unless your field of view is large (flying high up or far away like over mountains)
I just don't see a dramatic improvement in resolution with 1080p

The smoothness of 60fps is really the key

I welcome people to post their experiences

Dirty Bird said:
720*60 videos will be larger than their 1080*30 counterparts.

The P2V camera maxes out at ~11 mbps regardless of resolution.

Please provide proof that P2V 720/60p video files will be larger than 1080/30p video files.

This should be interesting...

Reactions: bernek
Remember, these videos are compressed files.....not raw files. The size of the file will be a function of the content as well as the resolution and frame rate. If you're filming a stationary object, the file size will be much smaller than a quickly changing image. If the image doesn't change, the compression can be greater because there isn't much change from the reference frame. Be sure you're doing an apples to apple comparison.

RedRyderMedia said:
Remember, these videos are compressed files.....not raw files. The size of the file will be a function of the content as well as the resolution and frame rate. If you're filming a stationary object, the file size will be much smaller than a quickly changing image. If the image doesn't change, the compression can be greater because there isn't much change from the reference frame. Be sure you're doing an apples to apple comparison.

Ok...

Regardless of the obvious caveat above, shooting the same subject - "720*60 videos will be larger than their 1080*30 counterparts" is an absolutely false and utterly clueless statement.

Well back on the original subject..

When you watch a movie, or everything else on primetime television (drama's,movies, sitcoms), 99% are shot at 24fps, and if they're shot digitally, (or scanned film), they're 1080 or more.
News, Soaps, talk shows late night TV shows are 60ps (or the equiv) and look like Video.

So shoot in whatever format you want your footage to look like.

Gilbert Gomes said:
RedRyderMedia said:

Ok...

Regardless of the obvious caveat above, shooting the same subject - "720*60 videos will be larger than their 1080*30 counterparts" is an absolutely false and utterly clueless statement.
First, the tone of your reply seems very inappropriate. But, ignoring that, 720p (1280x720) has 921,600 pixels, and 1080p (1920x1080) has 2,073,600. So 720/60 should have 1,843,200 per second. That should yield a 720/60 file size of less than 10% smaller than 1080/30. Depending on the subject and level of compression, the file size will change by more than 10%.

My comment was merely trying to point out there are other factors that can be more significant as it relates to file size.

The problem with 720p is it looks (more) grainy on a larger screen.
I'll sometimes hook the laptop to a TV or just view material on the larger desktop monitor and you really need to back off from it compared to 1080p.
If you have something moving fast which might look jerky or might want slow-mo later then the compromise is worthwhile.
If you're viewing on a tablet then the 720p is perfectly OK.

At 1080p the V+ does give the option of wide or narrow FOV which is another topic - but the choice can make a big difference and either can be best depending on lighting and what result you expect.

I prefer the "cinematic" look, so I've been using 1080p/30. I've also tried 1080p/24, and that gives an even more film-like effect.

E_T said:
I prefer the "cinematic" look, so I've been using 1080p/30. I've also tried 1080p/24, and that gives an even more film-like effect.
I don't get this 24p cinematic thing some people only swear by. It's fine for steady, not moving shots but I soon as you get some serious movements, or big things moving in your frame, it shows its limits.

sergekouper said:
E_T said:
I don't get this 24p cinematic thing some people only swear by. It's fine for steady, not moving shots but I soon as you get some serious movements, or big things moving in your frame, it shows its limits.

Folks are capturing stunning videos with "serious movements" in 24p all the time.

Hint: frame rate is not the same thing as shutter speed...

Geert said:
I do not agree with Dirty Bird. I was surprised to read his statement. :eek:
So I recorded 1minute in 720/60p and also 1 minute in 1080/30p and I did use the largest FOV.
P2V 720/60p video files are not larger than 1080/30p video files. The 1080/30p video files (with the largest FOV) are a bit larger than the 720/60p video files.Geert./.

Geert you are absolutely right I was mistaken. I factored in only the horizontal rez, and forgot to take into account that the vertical resolution is also significantly smaller with 720 vs 1080. My bad... :oops:

Gilbert Gomes said:
sergekouper said:
E_T said:

Folks are capturing stunning videos with "serious movements" in 24p all the time.

Hint: frame rate is not the same thing as shutter speed...

And then they add some motion blur to mitigate the jerky effect... That's amazing since 24p has been available for the masses on DSLR's , how so many uneducated nobodys promoted themselves to the rank of DOPs, not even knowing the first thing about filming!
Please, if you have nothing interesting to write on the subject, don't post!

I honestly don't see the point in slow motion.
Flying the drone yields most of the time very slow moving scenes.
I find myself forcing max speed so that the videos do not look boring.

Anybody else feels the same?

Foosy said:
I honestly don't see the point in slow motion.
Flying the drone yields most of the time very slow moving scenes.
I find myself forcing max speed so that the videos do not look boring.

Anybody else feels the same?
I agree with you when filming stationary objects like landscapes or castle......particularly if they're big. You need to fly fast to get a sense of motion.
But.....if you're filming action, like skateboarding or skiing or motorcycle jumps, the slow motion can be very dramatic. Your Phantom may be stationary or maybe even moving against the motion of the motorcycle, but if you're filming at high speed during a jump maneuver, the slow motion is very powerful.

I definitely go with 1080 over 720 for a very simple reason. If I find I want to grab a frame as a still the 1080 offers a 2mp picture while the 720 only a 1mp picture.

The P2V camera maxes out at ~11 mbps regardless of resolution.

Please provide proof that P2V 720/60p video files will be larger than 1080/30p video files.

This should be interesting...

They actualy are not ... 720p 60fps bitrate is 9800 kbps and 1080p 30fps is 11000 kbps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1