1080/60 issue

Reaction score
OK, I'm shooting 1080/60. Put the SD card in the card reader and check the files properties and it says 29.9 (30fps). Why isnt my computer seeing 60fps or why isnt my Phantom recording 60fps....
Any thoughts appreciated...

Has it something to do with it being interlaced? Kind of the same, well sort of. You only draw half of the screen each frame.

What needed to be detailed? The guy asked why it is showing 29.
Because it draws half a screen. Done

Your confirmation would have been fine but you felt the need to come blasting in here to save the day with your incredible knowledge.

Phantasmic said:
Nvr2fst said:
Well excuse me for being so stupid.

I never posted that. If that's truly how you feel then you need thicker skin.

Maybe I misread you as others have of me but I am not too sure. Either way I am really starting to dislike this figuring out peoples intentions when they post and them me. I think I will stick with dealing with people face to face. You know...old school. With that I don't have these problems and if I do it will at least be well understood.

Butcher99 said:
so is there a real optical advantage to be had at 60i?
Not really. In theory, you can record at 1080i60, then slow it down to approximate 1080p30 slow-motion. But 1080i60 is only half-frames - a relic from when we had interlaced tube-style TVs and displays. You can also get slow-motion by shooting at 720p60 on the Phantom and slowing that down. Which is better? Probably depends on the subject matter - for fast-moving objects, 720p60 might give smoother motion. For more static scenes, 1080i60 might give you more image detail.

But other than slow-mo effects? No real use that I can think of for 1080i60, unless you're planning to broadcast it over the air to ancient tube-style HDTV sets.

Phantasmic said:
Nvr2fst said:
Your confirmation would have been fine but you felt the need to come blasting in here to save the day with your incredible knowledge.

That's you being butthurt once again. Pretty ironic given your rants about newbies, etc.

Thanks for the laughs.

Why are you repeatedly an ******* toward people? YOU are the problem. Don't be a little *****. Take your Midol and get over yourself.

jimre said:
Butcher99 said:
so is there a real optical advantage to be had at 60i?
Not really. In theory, you can record at 1080i60, then slow it down to approximate 1080p30 slow-motion. But 1080i60 is only half-frames - a relic from when we had interlaced tube-style TVs and displays. You can also get slow-motion by shooting at 720p60 on the Phantom and slowing that down. Which is better? Probably depends on the subject matter - for fast-moving objects, 720p60 might give smoother motion. For more static scenes, 1080i60 might give you more image detail.

But other than slow-mo effects? No real use that I can think of for 1080i60, unless you're planning to broadcast it over the air to ancient tube-style HDTV sets.

Actually, 1080i is far from an antiquated format and happens to be the preferred format for a majority of broadcasting networks and stations. And all new TV's display it. (some use the interlaced picture for creating 3d as well).
If you want the highest quality 60fps video to view on your TV, 1080i is the way to go, as it has slightly more detail than 720p60.
1080/30p will have more image detail, but less temporal info)
-however if you want to do post stabilization and certain other post-effects with 1080i, you'd need to use editing software that can deal with interlaced video.

As a frame of 1080i is acquired by making two scans of 540 vertical lines from top to bottom of sensor, a moving subject will be captured in two different places between first & second scan. Time elapsed = 1 Frame. The final frame is a composite of the two 540 line scans, interleaved to make 1080 vertical lines, and will show the two positions of the moving subject alternating every line.

A frame of 720p is acquired by making one scan of 720 vertical lines and will capture one image of the subject, moving or not. Time elapsed = 1 Frame. The final frame is exactly as it was captured, 720 vertical lines, one position, subject moving or not.

Because 1080i captures more motion per frame in time than 720p, its not only possible to create slo-mo by just reducing the playback frame rate, it's also possible to get more "frames per second" by utilizing software to interpolate the separate fields of 540 back into 1080.

Which is better? Depends on what you want in the end. The beauty of 720p is that it is what it is, but it isn't full-HD. For the cinematic look, 720p is a natural, in fact 720 24p is perfect if you're going for a film-look, complete with natural motion-blur. But if you want detail and that "reality" look, then 1080 60p would be your best choice, but as the FC200 doesn't offer that you'll have to settle for 1080 60i. It will look crisp, clean, and "live" if you play it back at its original frame rate, but if you're shooting 60i for converting to slo-mo, you'll have to deal with its shortcomings in post-production, esp if there's lots of motion. It takes more time, but the results can be very good.

If you want full-HD (1920x1080) and have no need for slo-mo, then the FC200's 1080 30p setting will probably be the one you'll be most happy with.

iDrone (the Very)

Gizmo3000 said:
Actually, 1080i is far from an antiquated format and happens to be the preferred format for a majority of broadcasting networks and stations. And all new TV's display it. (some use the interlaced picture for creating 3d as well).
If you want the highest quality 60fps video to view on your TV, 1080i is the way to go, as it has slightly more detail than 720p60.
1080/30p will have more image detail, but less temporal info)
-however if you want to do post stabilization and certain other post-effects with 1080i, you'd need to use editing software that can deal with interlaced video.
Fair enough - calling 1080i "antiquated" or "ancient" is a bit of an exaggeration. It is indeed the highest-resolution format used by broadcast TV stations all over the US. I'm amazed that US television still doesn't support broadcasting in 1080p yet, despite virtually every TV and display sold for the last 10 years being natively progressive-scan devices. As the original poster found out, many - if not most - PCs, devices, and video-playback software will simply ignore that it's 1080i at all, automatically de-interlace it, and tell you it's 1080p30 anyway - the exception being more advanced video-editing software.

But I still maintain there's no good reason to use the 1080i60 setting on the P2v, unless you have some very specific goals in mind. Namely 1) you want to slow the footage down for a slow-motion effect, or yes 2) you plan to deliver your footage to a US broadcast TV station.

There are some practical downsides to shooting 1080i60 on the P2V - notably it simply doesn't work on an iPhone. You can't download it to the phone, nor play it back from the SD card. Not sure if this is a problem with the DJI Vision app, the iPhone itself, or some combination of both - or if it will ever be fixed. Also, major video-sharing sites like Vimeo and YouTube warn you NOT to upload interlaced footage, that you should de-interlace it first (although I understand in practice they may actually accept it, but then of course they will de-interlace it to 1080p30 anyway).

Thanks guys for the thoughtful answers. Suppose I'll play around with 760p/60 now as well to see how it works out. There are times when I would potentially want to slow the video. Even when applying stabilization, I'm finding that slowing down a bit can make for more usable video... So I've got a lot to play around with (wish the weather was better. :x )
Thanks much
Jon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan