107 is not a choice?

Reaction score
i was under the impression if you wanted your drone license to work professionally you had to take the 107. Just saw on the news ALL drone fliers must take it. Is this right?

Part 107 is for COMMERCIAL UAS Operations. If you can fully meet the definition of a Model/Hobby operation then it does not apply to you.

107 is simply taking the place of the 333 exemption for most people.

i was under the impression if you wanted your drone license to work professionally you had to take the 107. Just saw on the news ALL drone fliers must take it. Is this right?
It is another, somewhat simplified option to the 333 for commercial work. Nothing has changed for hobby fliers.

Keep in mind that the Section 333 Exemption is and will remain a viable part of UAS operations. There will be certain situations where an operator will need to request and be granted a Section 333 Exemption (night flights, over crowds, beyond VLOS etc). The Section 333 Exemption is a lot more than "Commercial Operations with a UAS".

What commercial work really needs to be done at night?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What commercial work really needs to be done at night?

In reality you'd be surprised how much "Commercial" night flight there is. Granted it's not 'usually" Real Estate shots and the like but there is a LOT of work to be done at night.

Does anyone really know what's going on with the new regs , test for hobbyists or not ? I'm part 61 already isn't that enough ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are many threads on this. Basically if you are part 61 you can take an online test and have what you need to fly commercially. Also you need a signature from a flight instructor I believe but you can look that up.

For hobbiest nothing is required accept register your drone as hobby use, mark it accordingly, and go flying. If you need stickers for your drone go to www.abovegroundphotography.net and order them for $5

Part 107 is for commercial use. All the people that don't have a current part 61 will need to take part in this requirement if they plan to do commercial work.

Hope that helps!

Very helpful, Thank You !

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was pretty excited to get some type of Phantom drone until I learned that the two main projects it was going to be purchased for fall under a commercial operation. Both projects were to be done in remote locations, still line of sight and well under 200AGL. But one being used to promote a YouTube channel and the other to promote a product on YouTube has put a damper on things.

From what I understand the part 107 licensing has not started yet and the back log on 333 exemptions is months and months. Are there more requirements than the 107? Commercial liability? annual inspections?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4