100% centre DNG crops for comparison?

mikeboruta said:
Here is another unprocessed 800x800 DNG crop to add to the mix.

That's way better than mine too. I'd be happy with a RAW image like that

EDIT
And I've just looked at the whole image, Mike and, yes... way, way better than mine. It's slightly mushy over on the right, especially up at the top right, but I'd expect that from any low cost super wide-angle lens and if you were to process that and print it, you'd probably crop that out anyway. Counts as 'working within your limitations' as you said earlier in the thread. (Bit like me on the guitar; if I play within my limitations no-one knows how bad I really am.!)

Peter Evans said:
...super wide-angle lens

I have been wondering what is the real FOV of the lens? (Will measure one day, when having time...)

P2V spec: FOV 140°/ 120° / 90°

FC200 image EXIF:
FocalLength : 5.0 mm
FocalLengthIn35mmFormat : 30 mm

for a 30 mm lens on a 35 mm camera

FOV Horizontal 62°
FOV Diagonal 72°

Peter Evans said:
mikeboruta said:
Here is another unprocessed 800x800 DNG crop to add to the mix.

That's way better than mine too. I'd be happy with a RAW image like that
I am starting to feel a bit more pragmatic. There are cameras out there that can do what I want, which is to produce sharp looking images for the Web and possibly stand up to A5 printing. I feel that the camera is nearly there and for people who want the best of a bad job the best course of action is to notify your dealer that you are not happy and hopefully in the course of the next few months you should end up with a camera which lives up to the billing that DJI advertised as "extremely high quality".

On a side note: Here is my 60 second retouch of the advertised DJI Competition RAW Photo (look on their Facebookpage). Huge improvement for a 60 seconds Lightroom run of a beginner...

Camera is not "high-end" but with post-processing its definitely good enough for more than just the occasional shot :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iokthrdluym0lx4/Comparison.png

Left: untouched raw (little color correction) Right: Noise Red. + Sharpness

The FC200 image noreason4 refers to can be downloaded from https://db.tt/J0alV4kJ The photo is supplied by DJI -- so they had an opportunity to select a good one for shooting? ;) Also note that the shutter speed is 1/3400.

My home work result from the same picture: Adobe FC200 lens correction profile applied, saved as JPG using compression of 80%. File size 3.66 MB (about the same as FC200 made JPGs).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6h3m2wqd7954 ... 20Copy.jpg

You need to download the original if you want to see in full size.

AnselA said:
Peter Evans said:
...super wide-angle lens

I have been wondering what is the real FOV of the lens? (Will measure one day, when having time...)

P2V spec: FOV 140°/ 120° / 90°

FC200 image EXIF:
FocalLength : 5.0 mm
FocalLengthIn35mmFormat : 30 mm

for a 30 mm lens on a 35 mm camera

FOV Horizontal 62°
FOV Diagonal 72°
I would take these "calculated" EXIF properties with a large grain of salt. Documentation I've seen for EXIFTOOL says the FOV calculation is incorrect for fisheye lenses.

I just tried directly measuring the FOV on one of my P2V photos, using known landmarks at the edges of the photos, Google Maps, and Photoshop's ruler tool (which can measure angles). Got about 100° FOV.

jimre said:
FOV calculation is incorrect for fisheye lenses.

Correct. With a fish-eye, the angle of view is the angle of view and has nothing to do with the focal length.

I have a 10.5mm fish-eye Nikkor which gives a 139 degree FOV horizontally. Checking the same scene captured by the Vision and the Nikon, I can say that the two are pretty much identical.

Attachments

• DJI00013centre.jpg
    DJI00013centre.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 341
  • DJI00013sample.jpg
    DJI00013sample.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 333
noreason4 said:
On a side note: Here is my 60 second retouch of the advertised DJI Competition RAW Photo (look on their Facebookpage). Huge improvement for a 60 seconds Lightroom run of a beginner...

Camera is not "high-end" but with post-processing its definitely good enough for more than just the occasional shot :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iokthrdluym0lx4/Comparison.png

Left: untouched raw (little color correction) Right: Noise Red. + Sharpness

What a stark difference, thanks for the great example.

Rich

AnselA said:
The FC200 image noreason4 refers to can be downloaded from https://db.tt/J0alV4kJ The photo is supplied by DJI -- so they had an opportunity to select a good one for shooting? ;) Also note that the shutter speed is 1/3400.

My home work result from the same picture: Adobe FC200 lens correction profile applied, saved as JPG using compression of 80%. File size 3.66 MB (about the same as FC200 made JPGs).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6h3m2wqd7954 ... 20Copy.jpg

You need to download the original if you want to see in full size.

I would be delighted if I my camera made DNGs as good as that original. I'm further convinced I just got a lemon.

OK, it's time for me to give a big thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread, especially those who have posted their 100% centre crop DNG examples. From those results I have been able to show my supplier that I have grounds for returning my P2V to them and, indeed, I'm awaiting a returns slip from them as I write this.

Whilst I have found the Phantom to be a brilliant camera carrier for an absolute novice flyer like me, DJI’s quality control in respect of the FC200 camera's production is obviously in need of revision. Some people have been lucky and received great examples, others seem to have been less fortunate, and my own example seems to be really poor.

In view of that, I’m not at all confident that any replacement will bring anything better; I might be lucky, I might not. So I’m going for a Phantom 2 (non-Vision) combined with a DronExpert Sony RX100 FPV platform and I’m now looking for the lowest priced Sony RX100 I can find. In total, it’s going to cost me around twice as much as I first expected but then this is not a hobby for me, and if I’m going to introduce this new aspect into my photography, I have to do it in a way that enables me to produce saleable images. Going down the P2+RX100 road will most definitely give me that; it’ll just take me longer to get my money back, that’s all.

I know I will have to give up some cool features such as flight telemetry, low-battery warnings, and the ability to switch back and forth from stills to video after I've taken off - plus, of course, I will get shorter flight times than with the P2V. But, as I'm always telling our photography guests here at PPF, everything in photography is a compromise, and in return for giving up those things I will at least be 100% sure of getting superb quality still images shot at the classic FOV produced by a 28mm lens (in 35mm terms). Plus, from what I've seen on the web, with more practice in terms of my flying skills, together with the help of my Pinnacle Studio 17, I'll get some pretty good video too.

pault said:
http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-ios-ground-station-inc-24ghz-data-link-and-bluetooth-module-1000-p.asp

Peter, I wonder if this module is compatible with the Naza in the P2 ? If it was then it would give you the telemetry

Thanks for the thought Paul, but it looks like this is only for Apple, and I'm Android. However, I have emailed them to ask if plans for an Android version are in the pipeline

Peter Evans said:
pault said:
http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-ios-ground-station-inc-24ghz-data-link-and-bluetooth-module-1000-p.asp

Peter, I wonder if this module is compatible with the Naza in the P2 ? If it was then it would give you the telemetry

Thanks for the thought Paul, but it looks like this is only for Apple, and I'm Android. However, I have emailed them to ask if plans for an Android version are in the pipeline

Please would you post the answer on this thread as I am going down the same route as you and I am also Android. The downside of using the groundstation would mean a secondary display which could be your phone but I am not sure if the phone clamp present on the PV2 controller would fit on the P2 controller when it has the new drone expert monitor fitted. I am also not sure if you can buy the clamps as an accessory from DJI. If not then some kind of diy phone holder would be needed.

pault said:
Please would you post the answer on this thread as I am going down the same route as you and I am also Android. The downside of using the groundstation would mean a secondary display which could be your phone but I am not sure if the phone clamp present on the PV2 controller would fit on the P2 controller when it has the new drone expert monitor fitted. I am also not sure if you can buy the clamps as an accessory from DJI. If not then some kind of diy phone holder would be needed.

Paul, it seems that there's no need to worry about how it would fit for the moment as this is the reply I received from Quadcopters UK,

"Hi Peter
They may do in time as some of there other stuff will work on android but Ive not heard of any developments yet.
Regards
Geoff

Hi,

this a first post. Thanks for all the great info that's found here in this forum. Here's a view of the Shanghai tower that's currently under construction (worlds second tallest at 632m).

Unfortunately while there is an improvement using RAW capture it isn't enough resolution for me, so now I'm considering changing over to a Gopro and Zenmuse and hope that the next generation Gopro produces better stills. I need my clients to pay for my toy and these files aren't quite good enough.

Derryck.

Attachments

• Shanghai.jpg
    Shanghai.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 412
  • JPGvsRAW.jpg
    JPGvsRAW.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 455
Here is an uncropped, but resized version (800px so it fits onscreen)

sample1small.jpg

And here is a link to the full size version:

http://bigscaryjeep.com/web/sample1.jpg

Am I being too particular, or is the image REALLY soft??? There is very poor detail in the trees.Ignoring the fact that it's a low contrast shot since it was overcast, I think the focus is rather blah.

I stripped the EXIF (due to GPS info), but the shutter speed was 8000th of second. No camera shake issues at that speed! LOL!

Peter,

Please let us know how the Phantom/RX100 combo works out for you. I'm ready to do the same thing - just waiting for some answers from dronexpert on battery life, FPV range, etc.

Geoff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj