Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

10 min hero3 black FPV batt test

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by martcerv, Sep 5, 2013.

  1. martcerv

    Joined:
    May 27, 2013
    Messages:
    1,002
    Likes Received:
    2
    Here is a basic flight test to see actual max time on my modded phantom FPV setup. I generally keep flights to 9 min or less if going for more acrobatic flying but here I flew around the local area for a bit then came back did some manual flying and hovered around the last minute or so waiting for second batt level. This was just after 10 min so not bad I think for a 1157g phantom. Here I am also pushing to see the range on the stock radio, not going very far but in a residential area and at times fairly low with lots of obstructions I did lose the radio when only 355m away. You see a small control glitch at first, I then tried to raise altitude but had not control and completely lost it where it went into failsafe and started RTH. I let it fly back for a bit then switched to ATTI mode and regained control continuing on with the flight.

    My video was still good and later on I flew over the same spot I lost it at higher altitude with no issues, max distance was about 450m on this flight but I have flown to 900m with stock radio when keeping the phantom in LOS using the same setup.

    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShtVGPx09KA[/youtube]

    I also had some vibration issues on my last few flights that I really didnt like, one motor was playing up a little since my big crash and new shell. I replaced the bearing earlier but it didnt help it much so I ended up replacing the motor with a new one. I also balanced all motors which didnt need much as these tiger motors are pretty well balanced but I got them a fair bit smoother. Funny thing I found when balancing the motors is that they have the most vibration at about 20-35% throttle when in manual and no props beyond 50% they were very smooth.

    The way I balanced was quite simple took off all props, disconnected 3 motors and started it up with my phone sitting on the naza and a vibration app measuring the vibrations. Then I simply placed a little bit of electrical tape on on part of the motor and spun it up. Note if it gets better or worse in terms of vibrations and repeat all the way around the motors until I find the best location. Then once I find this part where it gets best I alter the amount of tape used to see if it gets better or worse with more or less tape. 1 motor was nearly perfect straight up and needed a tiny bit of tape and the worst motor took a fair bit more tape.

    I then also did another proper balance on the props to get these as close to perfect as possible, end result was the smoothest footage I have got yet. The light wasnt the brightest so will be a proper jello test in better light but its much smoother now then ever and I dropped vibrations with all 4 motors spinning about 80% compared to before the balancing.
     
  2. martcerv

    Joined:
    May 27, 2013
    Messages:
    1,002
    Likes Received:
    2
    I just did a test with my heavy 2 camera 3d setup which is 1300g

    Flying ATTI mode was 9 minutes til auto land and flying in manual mode 7m50s til auto land using the 2700mah batteries.