10 flights = stress cracks...

As far as I know I'm likely the first one to use Plast-aid to fill in the motor mount area. to just about a 1/32nd of the mount stubs.. It's solid like a chunk of metal... I doubt it will crack, if I crash it would likely be all that Survived..

Im interested on that information....

Could you provide some photos of the shell with the places were you applyed Bondic?

Everbody would be interested...i think.

Mental/digital breadcrumbs. I'll post some photos when I have the time. I even still have my old shell, so I can take photos of my usage of bondic, and the shell cracks.

Reactions: Mordor
Dang. I'm just about to order a P3P and this stress crack stuff really bothers me. The problem is, I haven't found a better solution at this price point. I could roll my own for the same price, but it would be a lot more work, and I'd be stuck with a GoPro lens and no fancy app. I'm hoping that the Strong Arm protectors will help.
This has also prevented me from buying a P3P, currently borrowing a friends one.

Although now I'm probably going for an Inspire 1 V2.0 (uprated motors etc), yes its more money but has more flexibility with regard to cameras and the fact that the P3P is not exactly peanuts, so will save a bit more. Good luck...the P3P is a brilliant aircraft in any case, way and above the lesser vendors like the Hans Solo, which to me is nowhere near as advanced as the P3P/A.

This has also prevented me from buying a P3P, currently borrowing a friends one.

Although now I'm probably going for an Inspire 1 V2.0 (uprated motors etc), yes its more money but has more flexibility with regard to cameras and the fact that the P3P is not exactly peanuts, so will save a bit more. Good luck...the P3P is a brilliant aircraft in any case, way and above the lesser vendors like the Hans Solo, which to me is nowhere near as advanced as the P3P/A.

Even if I were a gopro fanboy with dreams of being a hero I still see no advantage to flying a Han Solo. I've had stress cracks. So many and so many repairs that I had to retire my first phantom 3. But I went right ahead and ordered another. This time it came with the new motors and X bracing. So let's see. But no, nothing even comes close. Everything else's specs are laughable by comparison.

The fact is the P3 is a great piece of technology. The odds of developing stress cracks are really low - and IF that happens, DJI will repair it for free. And if it happens again? (The odds of which are furthermore drastically reduced) DJI will again repair it...for free.
Again, the P3 really is an amazing piece of kit and one shouldn't let the unfortunate circumstance of the few dictate whether or not they purchase a fantastic flying camera!

The fact is the P3 is a great piece of technology. The odds of developing stress cracks are really low - and IF that happens, DJI will repair it for free. And if it happens again? (The odds of which are furthermore drastically reduced) DJI will again repair it...for free.
Again, the P3 really is an amazing piece of kit and one shouldn't let the unfortunate circumstance of the few dictate whether or not they purchase a fantastic flying camera!
In1 year will they repair it for free????

Why is noone making a big deal about this?

I'm getting ready to by a p3p as well and this is holding me back. It clearly says on their website that they provide no warranty on the frame. Obviously it looks like they have been warranty repairing them till now but it can stop at any time.

I'm not sure if this was their change, but it shows that the warranty page WAS changed this month even.

Use this material, I Used it on a Fresh out of the box P3P before ever flying it This stuff is like Steel, Super strong an easy to use, mix it up thin and pour it around the base of each moor mount area to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, just short of the screw holes for the motors. Allow it to harden an hour and it will become super bonded to the body shell. It is Miracle material, guarantee never a stress crack. Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.
Martin, do you have to do any post-application work for this? In other words...do you need to sand down? paint? What has your experience been? I am interested in hardening the shell of my new P3S, but would like to look at this for other projects. Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

Martin, do you have to do any post-application work for this? In other words...do you need to sand down? paint? What has your experience been? I am interested in hardening the shell of my new P3S, but would like to look at this for other projects. Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.
wipe the area with a paper towel... you should be able to see if it's dirty.. No sanding needed. It chemically bonds to the shells plastic.. not like glue at all it becomes part of the shell

In1 year will they repair it for free????
That I don't know, although I'm pretty sure their maximum warranty period is 1 year. And as mentioned above, the air frame is officially stated to have no coverage under warranty at all - yet they're currently fixing them under warranty!?!
The way I figure it is: if after a year of flying, if a shell develops cracks, I would purchase a new shell and swap it out myself. To me, I'd consider that more of a maintenance issue. Similar to a cars 'regularly scheduled maintenance'.
But who knows... maybe DJI would still replace the shell after a year?

Last edited:
Use this material, I Used it on a Fresh out of the box P3P before ever flying it This stuff is like Steel, Super strong an easy to use, mix it up thin and pour it around the base of each moor mount area to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, just short of the screw holes for the motors. Allow it to harden an hour and it will become super bonded to the body shell. It is Miracle material, guarantee never a stress crack. Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.
It must work amazing... You put it on your bird and mine didnt crack either!!

Reactions: Martin Smith
Mine came last week from RMA in Germany, and went today by UPS to Germany, again.
Already with a "crack" appearing.....

287hnaq.jpg

Love people you still say this is a "minority" issue......

Can someone share their experience with a product called "Soliq"?

People, you know this is a problem that will not be addressed by DJI... they may offer a shell replacement but will be replaced with the same defective shell. You will have the same problem.
You have a couple options... remove all the guts from the phantom and mount it to your own home made frame, or fix the shell prior to ever flying. You will notice that the area that the shell where screws pass thru to mount the motors and body together have plastic ring inserts that are added after the frame is molded. These plastic inserts are bonded with a sonic device which does a poor job, this is why you see the separation in the same places. The only remedy is to Chemically reinforce the entire area, loosening a screw or zip tieing the arms in not a fix it is a temporary patch.

Glue is not a solution, Jb weld is not a solution, as these only adhere moderately to the surface. Imagine if the entire motor mount area and areas where stress were applied were solid, cracking could not occur under normal use. The only absolute fix is using Plast-aid... It renders the entire mount area and all the screw pass thru areas as as solid component. I'll not mention this anymore as it is all over this forum, my use and experience with it. You could shoot your phantom out of a cannon at a brick wall and the Plast-aid would survive where you would have to sweep up the remaining parts of the phantom. -Fin-

Reactions: nickyb
The problem is that getting it here, or in other country`s is more complicated...

Mine came last week from RMA in Germany, and went today by UPS to Germany, again.
Already with a "crack" appearing.....

287hnaq.jpg

Love people you still say this is a "minority" issue......

Can someone share their experience with a product called "Soliq"?
Even if 100% of the people on here had cracks it would only account for 10% of the P3s sold monthly. Since we all know thats a stupid exaggerated %, and is already a significant minority... Well, you do the math! I get that its a problem. And it needs addressed!! Probably more than it currently is. But still very insignificant!

It has been proven several times that they are not helping. As cracks are still happening UNDER them and not being notices.
I haven't seen any such "proof". I have a 1st generation P3 Pro with 185 flights on it, with the strong arm kit, and I check mine every 20 flights and no cracks yet. So I will keep them on, since they're sure not doing any harm.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj