10 flights = stress cracks...

Use this material, I Used it on a Fresh out of the box P3P before ever flying it This stuff is like Steel, Super strong an easy to use, mix it up thin and pour it around the base of each moor mount area to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, just short of the screw holes for the motors. Allow it to harden an hour and it will become super bonded to the body shell. It is Miracle material, guarantee never a stress crack. Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I assume this is a plastic powder maybe ABS or Styrene with solvent?

20 flights.....2 simultaneous cracks on 2 engines...
Gona return it tomorrow....

Then, they will change the shell with the new version more robust, i hope. Mine was the first weak generation...

Hi guys - I'm sending my P3A in for repair as well since it has 2 cracks on the 2 rear arms. Just a couple of questions:

1) DJI will more than likely replace the shell... Are the new shells proven to be stronger?

2) If I buy the strong arm kit (the one shown in the first post of this thread), can I use thread lock on the screws?

Thanks!

Hi guys - I'm sending my P3A in for repair as well since it has 2 cracks on the 2 rear arms. Just a couple of questions:

1) DJI will more than likely replace the shell... Are the new shells proven to be stronger?

2) If I buy the strong arm kit (the one shown in the first post of this thread), can I use thread lock on the screws?

Thanks!

Use clear nail polish on the threads. It will act as a thread lock without damaging the plastic that the shell is made of.

Reactions: williamjamesfpv
This product is a food safe compound similar to dental acrylic. Works well but it has a melting point close to boiling water temps. The product will soften at this point and deform. This info directly from the CEO of the company.

This product is a food safe compound similar to dental acrylic. Works well but it has a melting point close to boiling water temps. The product will soften at this point and deform. This info directly from the CEO of the company.

which product?

don't use blue locktite on any plastic, it will dissolve the plastic, A small dab of white elmers glue will prevent screws from vibrating loose however it will crack loose with moderate pressure from a hex wrench or a screwdriver.

don't use blue locktite on any plastic, it will dissolve the plastic, A small dab of white elmers glue will prevent screws from vibrating loose however it will crack loose with moderate pressure from a hex wrench or a screwdriver.
They come with blue locktite don't they?

They come with something blue, Blue loctite is a product you'll find in North America, so if that they use is blue, it is likely not traditional locktite. I know from first hand experience locktite will dissolve plastics.

They come with something blue, Blue loctite is a product you'll find in North America, so if that they use is blue, it is likely not traditional locktite. I know from first hand experience locktite will dissolve plastics.
Good to know, thank you. I would have used blue locktite

I have strong arms with globs of nail polish in the screw holes. Rock solid after a few flights. Before nail polish the screws would loosen just a little bit after every flight while using the UAVBits strong arm.

I hear the new motors fixes these stress crack issues. I ordered the Phantom 3 Pro 3 days ago. They said the new motors will come with it. Maybe you got the old motors?

P3P-taped-arms.jpg

I have no cracks yet (touching wood as I typeo_O) There are many other methods on forum and thanks to all for the ideas. :)

Was worried by crack reports for my new P3P but did not want to compromise warranty by major shell mods.

I felt the shell needed some additional support to bind together - I could see the DJI stickers distorting.

The zip ties looked possible, but they are I feel more rigid and hard to remove when properly fitted.

So good quality electrical tape, when layered onto itself forms a very strong, slightly elastic bond. So I cut long lengths, 50cm x about 3mm wide and layered wrapped it around the arms. Not only at the motor ends, but also up near the landing gear. You have to work around the vents a little.

Really pulled the shell together nicely and easy to remove. Locked the ends down with clear Scotch Magic tape, as the electrical can come adrift, don't want it some how tangled in the props!

Also turned down the braking in the app. After 8 hours, no cracks, but then also added the UAV Strong Arms, that you can also see in pic. At 12 hours now and all still OK.

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
I'm hearing about cracks in new Phantoms with the new motors as well. But I'm sure DJI will get it sorted out soon.

Has there been reports of stress cracks with the new motors? Hopefully I don't get those cracks... How can I prevent them? The drone is coming tomorrow to my house. Does the cold weather cause stress cracks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.