10.4 KM flight, 5.2 KM each way. With video and flytrex data

Re: 10.4 KM flight, 5.2 KM each way. With video and flytrex

canadavenyc said:
Fanti said:
I have the same setup, just with a patch antenna. Maybe try that.
So that 10.4 km flight was not completely "stock"? You changed out the antenna?

Stock controller/transmitter. There is no FPV stock :D

2trickpony said:
Bluegrass said:
No accusations here but remember that telemetry distance is from the starting point and has nothing to do with the distance the Phantom is from the RC. So the real limiting distance factor for anybody doing a long distance run is the wind, speed, and the quad battery. I'll find out for sure as I plan to do some promotion filming while controlling the Phantom from a golf cart. My FPV receiver and RC probably won't ever be more then 50 feet from the quad but I'm sure my telemetry will tell me different.

LOL, so are you hinting that he took off and then changed the location of his controller? That would have been difficult unless he used a boat to chase the Phantom ;)

And then you would have seen the boat, or at least the wakes.

So rest assured, I was stationary.

Can I ask what your phantom setup is?

So, one thing I'm not entirely sure about--are we talking about max in-out distance, furthest points apart in the mission, or just odometer reading? I have a 31-minute Phantom, could I just do circles around my back yard until it reads 20km, and not have to worry about coming home? :)

nood1es said:

Setup is standard P2, just with antigravity motors, which pull more current than the original ones (less flight time) :eek:

FPV is 600mw immersion with patch antenna and Black Pearl Monitor.

ElGuano said:
So, one thing I'm not entirely sure about--are we talking about max in-out distance, furthest points apart in the mission, or just odometer reading? I have a 31-minute Phantom, could I just do circles around my back yard until it reads 20km, and not have to worry about coming home? :)

No it doesn't work that way. Furthest point from take off AND return is the matter !

Fanti said:
ElGuano said:

No it doesn't work that way. Furthest point from take off AND return is the matter !

Yeah, even Flytrex have changed their algorithms on their website so that long distance records will only count if you take off and land at the same point.

Fanti said:
nood1es said:

Setup is standard P2, just with antigravity motors, which pull more current than the original ones (less flight time) :eek:

FPV is 600mw immersion with patch antenna and Black Pearl Monitor.
No offence, and all due respect to your achievement AND the fact that the antigrav motors pull more current and thus yield less flight time in theory, but you shouldn't refer to your setup as "stock" if you've done ANY modifications. It's misleading. In fact, even the fact you've added FPV equipment makes it not a "stock setup". Yes, I know there's no way to fly that far without that FPV stuff, but technically, if it doesn't come with the box DJI shipped you, it's not a stock setup.

It may seem like nitpicking, and it in no way diminishes what you accomplished; but these minor details can easily lead to misunderstanding if not careful.

Ya. I was thinking of going up river in a boat while chasing my Phantom, with the camera panning to the boat some of the time. I really have no interest in doing long range flights. I guess it would be a fun competition thing to do but at this point I don't really want to take a chance on losing my Phantom. Do you think I'm correct though, that the telemetry would always use the starting point for distance reference and not the distance from the RC? Oh too, it's obviously not a stock FPV. I guess there is really no stock FPV. Most of us patch pieces together. I would think that you might need a couple watt TX to get that kind of distance with a clear image.

Fanti said:
Which is good :D

Agreed, if there's a gamification element to the records/missions, then clear standards and rules are a good thing.

Can't wait to see some jerk strap his Phantom to the hood of his car and submit a 500 mile round trip "flight" :)

ElGuano said:
Fanti said:

Agreed, if there's a gamification element to the records/missions, then clear standards and rules are a good thing.

Can't wait to see some jerk strap his Phantom to the hood of his car and submit a 500 mile round trip "flight" :)

But you'd only be allowed to drive at the speed a Phantom could fly or it wouldn't count. :lol:

Bluegrass said:
Ya. I was thinking of going up river in a boat while chasing my Phantom, with the camera panning to the boat some of the time. I really have no interest in doing long range flights. I guess it would be a fun competition thing to do but at this point I don't really want to take a chance on losing my Phantom. Do you think I'm correct though, that the telemetry would always use the starting point for distance reference and not the distance from the RC? Oh too, it's obviously not a stock FPV. I guess there is really no stock FPV. Most of us patch pieces together. I would think that you might need a couple watt TX to get that kind of distance with a clear image.

Yes, the flight would be recorded from the takeoff point that gps lock was established. The telemetry data does not take into account where your controller is located.
So, technically, you could travel 6km away from the phantom, start it up and wait for gps and homelock, and then fly towards you and onwards another 6km and then do the same in reverse so that you would end up with a 24km round trip. Of course the battery would never last that long. :lol:

ElGuano said:
Fanti said:

At an altitude of 3.5 ft

Bluegrass said:
But you'd only be allowed to drive at the speed a Phantom could fly or it wouldn't count. :lol:

Flytrex has logged Phantom speeds of 65-70mph right? Maybe they can check to see if the Phantom is obeying "traffic control devices" during distance runs :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20