+1 to UAVBITS.net Products

Reaction score
Bringing Phantom down and got the death wobble about 40 feet up. Tried to break it with no luck and I saw my bird just drop.

Luckily....that morning prior to flying I had installed the minimalist camera guard and inertia guard from uavbits.net. One leg bent pretty good, and the camera has some scratches and dings. The ribbon cable has a nick but still functions. Nothing a little electrical tape cant cover/fix. The landing was hard enough that both guards broke, but they protected the camera and kept the gimble from separating.

Gary emailed me and asked how the products were going, I explained the situation and he was kind enough to send me new guards. I wont be flying without these items anymore.

By looking at it, I can't help from thinking there may have not been any damage, or as much damage, had the guards not broken to begin with. These kind of things are very unfortunate, but they are generally what leads to better parts being made. Plus this also shows those of us without any protection the importance of having something in place. I don't have anything myself, but I do know I would prefer to have something that bends instead of breaking.

Thanks for the share!

happydays said:
How did it drop? VRS? What firmware are you running? I thought the latest version slowed the descent speed away down to avoid VRS? I always descend while using zig zag motion to minimalise VRS anyway.

I was coming straight down, it got a little wobble and i should have tried to correct it then, but by time my head processed it all it was already on the ground. I typically zig zag but was trying to beat the battery from going into RTH mode.

flyNfrank said:
By looking at it, I can't help from thinking there may have not been any damage, or as much damage, had the guards not broken to begin with. These kind of things are very unfortunate, but they are generally what leads to better parts being made. Plus this also shows those of us without any protection the importance of having something in place. I don't have anything myself, but I do know I would prefer to have something that bends instead of breaking.

Thanks for the share!

Ideally the guards would not have broke. But if you saw how fast it went from 40 feet to 0, and the minimal damage incurred, I am confidant at a lower height all would have worked out fine. IMO these things are just added insurance for low speed collisions, and small falls. Nothing is going to protect from damage from anything to extreme. And the minimal $$$ spent, I am very satisfied with the results.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj