1 mile club!

Reaction score
Since purchasing my P2V last month, I have been on a quest to reach out for max flight distance w/ fpv without going crazy and tripling the price of the drone. Stock out of the box performance was 1200ft @ 300 ft Alt. It just wasn't cutting it for me.
I purchased the P2V app on iTunes and it brought me out to around 2000 ft. Better but still not enough!
So it was on to antennas.
I have tested nearly every antenna combination and I found that 2 x left hand polarized 2.4 & 5.8 cloverleafs attached to the aircraft (One horizontal and one vertical) along with using a 2.4 & 5.8 BiQuad antenna's on the signal booster & flight controller seem to work exceptionally well! After installing all of this upgraded goodness my test flight tonight took me out to 5,692ft @ 360 ft altitude... w/ 12 satellites locked at peak!! (Only sat mod was to tuck the GPS cable into the stock shielding). Could have gone further but I chickened out considering remaining battery for trip home.

I'm using LEFT hand polarized antennas on the aircraft for "DJI stuff" so that I can use a RIGHT hand polarized antenna for my Boscam FPV goggles.

It was decided that it would be much easier to install a separate micro Sony 800TVL, CAN-Bus, IOSD mini & 2.4 ghz transmitter w/ a RHCP antenna than it was to attempt to jack into the the stock camera. Using the different polarized antennas negates nearly all interference from the DJI frequencies and the results are very good. One benefit of having a stand-alone FPV is that I can concentrate on the driving while I have an assistant on the DJI App running the camera stills & video. Another benefit is that I can demount the Phantom camera and shave a TON of weight when I just want to fly solo FPV. Instead of additional batteries, I have the transmitter & camera wired directly into the battery input leads on the main controller board.

Considering the stock battery 5200Mah capacity, 1 mile range is comfortable. If I have to fight a return trip head-wind, I would rather have the capacity to get it back home with a little play time around the house vs romping a 1/2 mile through a cut down wheat field in the middle of winter to retrieve the drone (ask me how I know).

For extra range, I am currently looking into modifying a smart battery circuit board with "off the shelf" LiPo's. Once I am able to accomplish a solid 30-35 minutes of flight time, I will look into adding amplifiers to the control & FPV to reach out to 2-3 miles. I really would prefer not to bother with crazy ground rig setups and antenna trackers. There comes a point when you are saddled with so much equipment that has to be working together perfectly (at all times) that it takes away from the fun-factor of flying.

Overall, I am a very happy pilot and have been really impressed with the Phantom drone!

Mods to break a mile:
Aircraft:
2 x 2.4ghz LHCP Cloverleaf Antenna's
2x 5.6ghz LHCP Cloverleaf Antenna's
2x PCI to SMA cables for 5.8ghz antennas (so as to not ever plug wrong frequency antennas into bird)
2x PCI to RP-SMA cables for 2.4ghz antennas
1x Upgraded width & height landing skids (essential to give clearance for all the funky antennas)

Optional but wicked cool:
1x IOSD Mini
1x CAN-Bus & cable (Bought mine off Epay)
1x Boscam TS-321 2.4ghz transmitter(or frequency of your choosing)
1x 2.4ghz RHCP Cloverleaf Antenna (Mandatory for this FPV setup)
1x Sony 800tvl mini camera (or lightweight camera of your choosing)

Control/Booster side:
3x PCI to RP-SMA cables (One for controller and 2 for 2.4ghz booster)
1x 5.8 ghz BiQuad antenna
1x 2.4 ghz BiQuad antenna
1x 2.4 ghz LHCP Skew Planar antenna (Not really needed...but why not?)

Optional but wicked cool experience:
Boscam R920 Goggles w/ 8DBI 2.4ghz Omni antenna

Total investment: $118 for the range boosting antennas & booster app +$400 for the optional (but pimp'n) Boscam goggles FPV setup + Phantom Drone.

Some assembly required along with the hairy cojones to rip apart a very expensive toy and mod it!

dirkclod said:
Great work bismarcksea :D Welcome to the getter done bunch and do have a tracker onboard just in case ;)

Thanks! I Agree with having a tracker. I'm at the point now where it's just too easy to loose this thing. I've stripped every component (screws mostly) that I can to shave weight but a GPS tracker is worth loosing a few seconds of flight time for peace of mind!

Head wind is no joke. A couple weeks ago I launched in PERFECT beautiful clear skies, played around the house and then flew about 3/4 of a mile. In that time a weather front blew in and I was only making 3-5 MPH back home. The aircraft was about 300 yards out when it auto-landed in the field across the street. Luckily it happened during a night run and I had a clear line of sight to its general vicinity & used the yellow flashing lights to guide me to it once I got closer. Yeah....a tracker is getting ordered & installed ASAP!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl