1.6 Update GONE BAD!

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals,
  • I had just finished flying; Aircraft was working perfectly when I came in and updated to the 1.6 version for P3 Pro.
  • Update seemed to go as it ought to and the subsequent readout result indicates 'success' with each battery.
  • Figured I go back out to fly but now when I start aircraft it LOUDLY beeb..beep..beeps..... without stopping!
  • I can connect to controller; all readouts appear normal and there no longer is any 'update required' message.
  • However aircraft will not start and the beeping is incessant - much louder than any other sounds this or any of my other Phantoms ever have made.
  • This happens with each of the batteries; all the same result.
  • DJI probably won't be available until Monday and I had hoped to get some Christmas photos with the bird.
  • Can anyone HELP, please?
  • Merry Christmas and thank you for taking the time out to consider my difficulty.

Let the aircraft run until it stops beeping.

Alright thanks. I'll give it a try. I thought I was done so I've deleted the update bin file. Do you recommend putting the update file back on the SD card or just go as is with each battery? I'll wait for your reply before proceeding. I appreciate you taking time out to help; thank you.

Format the memory card, put the 1.6 BIN back on it, insert it into your Phantom, power it up and wait for the beeping to stop.

I'm not sure how you attempted to install the firmware the first time. If you're not sure you did it correctly, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Thank you, I'll redo the install. I am 100% certain that it was done correctly the 1st time (on my end; maybe software glitch Idk about that). I own each version of Phantom made (2, each of P2 V & P2 V+; all 4 I've modded on both bird & RC side) as well as a Yuneec Typhoon, modded as well. Just waiting now for Yuneec to get the camera up and running on Tornado, that will be next bird to join the fleet. Point is I am quite familiar with the update procedure; I believe this is the 3rd or 4th one I've done on the P3; 1.5 was just a week or so ago. I was hesitant to delve into Lightbridge but haven't had any issues prior to this 1.6 update. I'll give the reinstall a try and let you know the result. Thanks again.

Format the memory card, put the 1.6 BIN back on it, insert it into your Phantom, power it up and wait for the beeping to stop.

I'm not sure how you attempted to install the firmware the first time. If you're not sure you did it correctly, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.
I gave the reinstall a shot. Something is terribly wrong. The LOUD beeping starts as soon as I power on the Aircraft and is ancillary to the typical update beeps - it is much louder and completely drowns-out the normal update sound indications. I had to hold aircraft right up to my ear in order to hear the more subtle beeps. The result file is the same. Now I'm beginning to think I was correct in my original thoughts that the P3 is over way over engineered and too propitiatory. The update was for the batteries; I don't even know where to begin to try and trouble shoot this? I guess I'll have to call DJI on Monday. :(

Did you let the Phantom on until the beeping stopped?

Mine did that. I actually put it out in the garage for a while and it finally quit. Rebooted it and it was good to go. I did turn it off while it was doing the loud beeping to pull the card and read the log. It said update had failed and to restart and try again. After that I just let it go until it quit beeping. All batteries upgraded fine after that but now I lose the video feed when I take off. I had one good flight but since then every one loses video signal with in a few feet of the ground. Going to downgrade tomorrow to see if it goes away.

Did you let the Phantom on until the beeping stopped?

I let it run for 15 minutes and it didn't stop beeping. Also tried reverting to previous 1.5 version - report indicated success but aircraft never stopped beeping. Connected to controller (see attached). The 1.6 destroyed 6 batteries. The LOUD beeping is the low battery warning! Before I did the update I fully charged all the batteries; as is clearly indicated in the attached photo. The 1.6 update totally screwed-up the batteries; even the times charged - it shows 0; I've been flying it for months and all the batteries have had multiple charges! Man this sucks. I'm doubtful but will ask DJI to at least compensate me for the batteries. Thank you very much for your feedback. If you come up with any further suggestions PLEASE let me know. Right now I'm so frustrated & pissed-off that I just need to get away from computer, take a walk and get my thoughts together. Oh Man, I just knew it would be a mistake to go with this bird, was only a matter of time! And I really can't afford to take the hit on the 6 batteries right now. Plus, the fact that I have 25 perfectly good P2 batteries that I can't use to fly the P3 is a real kick in the keester. Merry Christmas to you & yours. Thank you again and I remain interested in any further feedback.

Attachments

• DJI 1.6 Update.JPG
    DJI 1.6 Update.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 430
Mine did that. I actually put it out in the garage for a while and it finally quit. Rebooted it and it was good to go. I did turn it off while it was doing the loud beeping to pull the card and read the log. It said update had failed and to restart and try again. After that I just let it go until it quit beeping. All batteries upgraded fine after that but now I lose the video feed when I take off. I had one good flight but since then every one loses video signal with in a few feet of the ground. Going to downgrade tomorrow to see if it goes away.

Thank you for the reply. The update destroyed my 6 P3 batteries! I figured out what the LOUD beeping is and why the bird won't start - low battery warning (see attached). All batteries were/are fully charged prior to the update and remain so as is clear in the attached photo.Even the times charged is messed-up. I've been flying for months and all the batteries have had multiple charges but now show 0! Tried to go back to 1.5 and result said success but no change. I'm pretty sure all 6 batteries are destroyed. Monday I'll contact DJI and ask to be compensated for the 1.6 update killing my batteries. Right now I'm just frustrated & pissed-off; need to walk it off. If you have any additional feedback PLEASE let me know. Hope your Christmas is better than mine. Wishing you & yours the best.

Attachments

• DJI 1.6 Update.JPG
    DJI 1.6 Update.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 451
15 minutes? I said to let it run until it stops beeping :)

Yes I understand but the beeping is not the update beep; that was complete - the beeping now is the 'low battery warning'. I even put battery in charger before I went out then used ohms meter just to confirm that the indicator lights on battery were working properly - they are - batteries are fully charged. The 1.6 update must have screwed-up something in the batteries software. I warned my neighbor about what happened and tried his batteries in my bird and they work fine. It's the update; somethings wrong with it. Beware; as a result of the 1.6 update I now have $900.00 worth of useless P3 batteries.

Yes I understand but the beeping is not the update beep; that was complete - the beeping now is the 'low battery warning'. I even put battery in charger before I went out then used ohms meter just to confirm that the indicator lights on battery were working properly - they are - batteries are fully charged. The 1.6 update must have screwed-up something in the batteries software. I warned my neighbor about what happened and tried his batteries in my bird and they work fine. It's the update; somethings wrong with it. Beware; as a result of the 1.6 update I now have $900.00 worth of useless P3 batteries.
Can I have your batteries?

Pelease follow the recommendation people are given you. Your P3 enter safe mode because you mess it up. Put a new rooted 1.5 or 1.6 Fw and turn only your P3 on, leave it where it dosent Disturb you with the beep, it can take hours to come out of defense mode and reboot

Pelease follow the recommendation people are given you. Your P3 enter safe mode because you mess it up. Put a new rooted 1.5 or 1.6 Fw and turn only your P3 on, leave it where it dosent Disturb you with the beep, it can take hours to come out of defense mode and reboot
do you recomend the new update. what will happen if i do not update

Reactions: garykeithmead1
I'm still on 1.4, can not recommend the new ones because I haven't test them. Nothing will happen if you do not update, but there are some reports of battery failures with the 1.4 and fewer fw.
1.6 should fix this issue.

Reactions: garykeithmead1
Can I have your batteries?

Yes; 3 conditions. 1) If DJI will replace the batteries without my having to return them. 2) I want to open one up and see whats going on. If its determined I can't figure out what went wrong and repair the others. 3) Pay shopping from CT and the remaining ones are yours.

Nothing. Updates are purely optional.
Hi Msinger
Are they purely optional? ( on p3s using iPhone 6, where you update directly via the app rather than copying bin files onto the sd card)
From my point of view you couldn't fly without updating, have I missed a " update later" or " skip button "?
I would always delay an update till it had been beta tested by the masses if possible, unless it would offer to solve a current problem I was having.

Ty

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4