1.3 ghz TX for FVP

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with using a 1.3 ghz TX for FVP on the phantom? It requires 12V, but I am concerned that the 12V wires coming through the bottom of the craft might be too small to power the TX. I am looking at a 1.3 ghz, 300 mw tX.
Thanks

The factory aux pwr lead inside the case looks up to the task from the images I've seen. I'd be interested in your progress doing this; FPV intrigues me. My two concerns are the limited load carrying capacity and flight time of the Phantom, and the amount of "stuff" needed on the ground to make it work.

Thanks Racklefratz.
Here are some comparisons of weights:
1.3GHz 300mW Transmitter with antennae = 30 grams
GoPro Hero 3 = 76 Grams
Water Proof case= 87.5 grams
Alternate Mount of my design=46 grams
Thus, the load would be between 172 grams and 193 grams.
Weight is not so much of a problem as power drain.
Still, my concern is the size of the wires coming through the bottom of the craft.

rcray said:
Thanks Racklefratz.
Here are some comparisons of weights:
1.3GHz 300mW Transmitter with antennae = 30 grams
GoPro Hero 3 = 76 Grams
Water Proof case= 87.5 grams
Alternate Mount of my design=46 grams
Thus, the load would be between 172 grams and 193 grams.
Weight is not so much of a problem as power drain.
Still, my concern is the size of the wires coming through the bottom of the craft.

I don't really follow the options you're proposing. Which items apply to each? IIf the lower number includes the xmtr, camera, and alt mount, the total wt is 152 vs 172. Is your custom mount designed to accommodate both the xmtr and the camera?

At any rate, take-off weight is spec'ed for the bare Phantom at 800 grams, and gross weight is 1200 grams, so you do have 400 grams of payload to play with, with the caveat that each extra gram of weight reduces your flight time, and potentially, flight stability. Assuming you are already flying with a mounted GoPro, and only adding a 30 gram xmtr, the effect on the Phantom should be minimal. As an aside, have you considered that an antenna for 1.3 ghz will likely weigh more than one for 5.8 ghz? There's a weight-saving opportunity there too.

I'm certain your concerns about the aux power cable on the Phantom are unfounded. It's a substantial sized wire, more than adequate for powering things measured in milli-amps.

smphanauxpwrcable_zps2a2153bf.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31