1.1.9 to 1.4.0010: Constant Disconnections

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been flying heli's and drones for a few years, however my P3P which I got about a month ago is my first move into more serious territory. Living in the inner city (Melbourne, Australia) I only really have a couple of options for large open spaces in which to fly. As a result I have a circuit that is very uniform, both in the my home location and in the flight paths I tend to take. I completed 11 flights on the 1.1.9 firmware (which my drone was running when I got it) without issue. I have uploaded all my logs to healthydrones and looking at my 3 most recent flights in this area prior to upgrading firmware there was only 1 disconnection at nearly 800m out.

I recently purchased a DJI hardshell case and a few spare batteries from a local drone dealer, and while doing this I spoke to their tech regarding firmware who said they usually just go with whatever the latest is. This plus the lure of the new flight modes proved too much for me, so I ended up upgrading all my kit to 1.3.20, and then to 1.4.0010.

I have since done two flights in this same park and decided to cut it short as the controller kept flicking into Atti mode. Looking at the logs for these flights they are full of disconnection notices, several within 10m from home base. I'll post the pre and post healthydrone reports later. I have been trying to think of anything that was different, and the only things aside from the obvious firmware and DJI Go App updates was that prior to launch on the new firmware I got a IMU error and had to do a full IMU calibration and I never used to bother turning off Wifi on my phone where as this time around I did. Other than that there is nothing else of note. Weather was similar (i.e not wet or windy), no buildings/structures obscuring view, etc. I was running a very similar flight path to what I have been doing on the 1.1.9 firmware.

Any ideas? Am I able to downgrade firmware at all?

Are you flying in Airplane Mode on the Android or turning it off?

Downgrade to 1.3.2, do your IMU and Gimbal calibrations then compass calibrations and try that.

Are you flying in Airplane Mode on the Android or turning it off?

Prior to the firmware upgrade I used to fly with WiFi and cell on. Last two times (which is also when the connection issues started showing) I was flying with my phone (LG G3) in airplane mode.

Downgrade to 1.3.2, do your IMU and Gimbal calibrations then compass calibrations and try that.

How do you do this? Just insert a USB with the 1.3.2 firmware in the root the same as you would do for an upgrade?

I would try the Lichi app. Since I have gone to it haven't had one shutdown. The Go app was dropping out regularly.

Thanks, I will give it a try for sure. I was thinking about getting it anyway for the more advanced features. Will be very interested to see if I get similar results. May indicate an application rather than firmware issue if I do would you think?

Here are the flights I was speaking of which demonstrate the sharp change in connection stability between the upgrades.

Two most recent flights running 1.1.9 firmware
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative Flight Data Analysis That Matters

Two flights I have done since running 1.4.0010 firmware in the same park

Hi All,

I've been flying heli's and drones for a few years, however my P3P which I got about a month ago is my first move into more serious territory. Living in the inner city (Melbourne, Australia) I only really have a couple of options for large open spaces in which to fly. As a result I have a circuit that is very uniform, both in the my home location and in the flight paths I tend to take. I completed 11 flights on the 1.1.9 firmware (which my drone was running when I got it) without issue. I have uploaded all my logs to healthydrones and looking at my 3 most recent flights in this area prior to upgrading firmware there was only 1 disconnection at nearly 800m out.

I recently purchased a DJI hardshell case and a few spare batteries from a local drone dealer, and while doing this I spoke to their tech regarding firmware who said they usually just go with whatever the latest is. This plus the lure of the new flight modes proved too much for me, so I ended up upgrading all my kit to 1.3.20, and then to 1.4.0010.

I have since done two flights in this same park and decided to cut it short as the controller kept flicking into Atti mode. Looking at the logs for these flights they are full of disconnection notices, several within 10m from home base. I'll post the pre and post healthydrone reports later. I have been trying to think of anything that was different, and the only things aside from the obvious firmware and DJI Go App updates was that prior to launch on the new firmware I got a IMU error and had to do a full IMU calibration and I never used to bother turning off Wifi on my phone where as this time around I did. Other than that there is nothing else of note. Weather was similar (i.e not wet or windy), no buildings/structures obscuring view, etc. I was running a very similar flight path to what I have been doing on the 1.1.9 firmware.

Any ideas? Am I able to downgrade firmware at all?

I found that my drone would not update to 1.3 or 1.4 until I updated to 1.2 (Mine also came with 1.1.9 installed).
So I learned that I could not skip any of the updates. Maybe that is your problem.
(I'm using iOS).

Prior to the firmware upgrade I used to fly with WiFi and cell on. Last two times (which is also when the connection issues started showing) I was flying with my phone (LG G3) in airplane mode.

How do you do this? Just insert a USB with the 1.3.2 firmware in the root the same as you would do for an upgrade?

Yep. Do a cold And level IMU then immediate gimbal calibration afterwards and a compass calibration before first flight in the field.

I actually take it a step further. I do my firmware upgrades/downgrades on a level surface as well. I figured during the firmware upgrade the gimbal does some pretty weird stuff and it might be optimal to ensure the P3 is absolutely level for even firmware upgrades.

My P3P tipped and landed upside down (not running) I noticed when it was hovering in place, The horizontal alignment was off and the phantom was tilting to one side. When I got home I initiated the IMU calibration but for some reason it froze and it took over half an hour so I turned off the phantom and when I turned it back on, the calibration screen automatically restart it and it's doing the same thing. does anyone know what else can be done?

My P3P tipped and landed upside down (not running) I noticed when it was hovering in place, The horizontal alignment was off and the phantom was tilting to one side. When I got home I initiated the IMU calibration but for some reason it froze and it took over half an hour so I turned off the phantom and when I turned it back on, the calibration screen automatically restart it and it's doing the same thing. does anyone know what else can be done?
For starters be very stubborn and try that IMU calibration over and over. Maybe cool the machine down (cold calibration).....

The IMU is a mechanical device and it's possible some of the fingers in there are stuck in the wrong way.

Interesting. I just upgraded from 1.1.9 to 1.4.0010 this week as well. The upgrade went smoothly, P3P took under 30 minutes, and the controller to 1.3.2 was quick. I did the IMU calibration not cold, but cool. I had not flown all night, woke up in the morning, put it on a very nearly level surface and powered on and immediately did the calibration which worked fine. Air temp 70-75F. I installed the 32 channel hack and am using the lowest quality on channel 32.

My before and after flights (Sensors->Signal Map) are like yours: no longer as good. And my distance is reduced a little. One place I tested where I previously had 5 bars at >21,000' I didn't even make it to 18,000'.

Before: score 100 at over 21,000 feet: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative Flight Data Analysis That Matters

After, same place but slightly higher: score 87.9 at 17,000 feet: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative Flight Data Analysis That Matters

So maybe mine isn't as dramatic but the new setup definitely feels worse than the old.

Look at this one using 1.4.0010 and only flying to <200' away and 350' up - score is only 84: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative Flight Data Analysis That Matters

Please post your results from doing a cold IMU calibration. I should add that I had never ever calibrated my IMU before since it worked great - instant warm-up vs over a minute I saw for various friends I fly with. After the upgrade and calibration, mine is still instant.

I really love healthydrones.com for seeing these things quantitatively.

I too had one episode of disconnect after I upgraded to 1.40010. The Ipad screen suddenly said "No connection" in red so I had no FPV. Fortunately the quad was still in line of site and I was able to still control its flight. I brought it down, turned it off and back on and no issues. It was scary though, because I can only imagine if I had flown it far and out of site, I may not have been able to bring it back.

I can tell you as a dji beta product tester, the 1.4.0010 firmware is more stable then the 1.3.20. However, the disconnect is more a app issue then firmware. I'm unable to use the most recent GO app which is v2.1.0. I currently have to use a beta version which has less features, but I'm able to have crystal clear video which I don't have with the v2.1.0 app.

The last 2 beta version produced no discount in either android or iso for any tester. I'd suggest uninstalling the app and installing over again. You will want to sync your flights log first. After loading the fresh copy calibrate the gimbal first.

I can tell you as a dji beta product tester, the 1.4.0010 firmware is more stable then the 1.3.20. However, the disconnect is more a app issue then firmware. I'm unable to use the most recent GO app which is v2.1.0. I currently have to use a beta version which has less features, but I'm able to have crystal clear video which I don't have with the v2.1.0 app.

The last 2 beta version produced no discount in either android or iso for any tester. I'd suggest uninstalling the app and installing over again. You will want to sync your flights log first. After loading the fresh copy calibrate the gimbal first.

That didn't work for me. iOS 2.2.0 is the latest and came out with the latest 1.4.x firmware. iOS 2.1.0 was the previous GO App version. I backleveled to firm 1.3.2 and still use the GO App 2.2.0 without issue. My severe FPV lag and random iPad Air 2 reboots in the middle of flight went completely away after going back to firm 1.3.2. I celebrated with a 4.02 mile flight. I can't see how this wasn't a firmware issue for me?

That didn't work for me. iOS 2.2.0 is the latest and came out with the latest 1.4.x firmware. iOS 2.1.0 was the previous GO App version. I backleveled to firm 1.3.2 and still use the GO App 2.2.0 without issue. My severe FPV lag and random iPad Air 2 reboots in the middle of flight went completely away after going back to firm 1.3.2. I celebrated with a 4.02 mile flight. I can't see how this wasn't a firmware issue for me?

Sorry my response was in reference to android versions. I had reboot issues only when using firmware 1.3.2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4