1.1.1 drifting left

KMW

Reaction score
My 1.1.1 drifts to the left when flying straight forward. Flying backwards it drifts to the right. We have tried IMU calibration, compass calibration, and stick calibration. Yesterday I tried something different. Took off and set out flying straight, and it was drifting left as usual. Then, while still flying I switched it to atti mode and it suddenly went straight. Switched it back to GPS mode and it immediately began veering left again. Any ideas on this? It's clearly GPS related somehow.

I could get a video of it doing this if it would help.

Depending on where you live, it could be because of magnetic declination. Does it drift left throughout the whole flight or just for the first few minutes? If it flys straight in GPS mode later in the flight it's becasue NAZA is adjusting as you fly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUilGeH74Q

Hmm. We don't do any long range fpv flights or anything, but I'll double check. Next flight I'll try a straight line flight towards the end of the battery.

Great link you posted there Woody. :D

Got a flight in before dark here and it does it even towards the end of the battery. It's pretty clear though when you switch between GPS and atti modes, distinct course change, from curved to straight.

Thanks IflyinWY. KMW, I don't know what else it could be, maybe someone else with more experience could help you. Did it always do this or did it fly straight when it was new and started drifting recently? Did you check the compass module to see if it's loose? Did you have a crash or tipover that may have moved the position of the compass? You can check the level of declination in your area here: http://www.magnetic-declination.com/ A positive reading will result in a drift to the left, and negative will make it drift to the right. This was a common problem for all Phantoms before it was resolved with a software update for the Phantom 2 and Vision, but DJI never did anything to fix it for the P1 and FC40. Check the link above. If you happen to live somewhere where there is little to no declination, like Missouri, then it is definately not drifting because of MD.

Reactions: Some-E
It has done it since we got it. The module is on tight and secure. It has only had one minor crash. We did an IMU calibration after the crash and it flys the same as it did out of the box.

I have wondered if maybe it just doesn't have many satellites, because sometimes it wanders a bit while hovering, and other times it is rock steady hovering. But it still doesn't make sense to me that atti mode would change it.

Have you tried either new props or rotating them to see if that helps?? Maybe if you rotated them it would start to drift in a different direction. Probably not it, more likely a little sand got in a motor and it just can't keep up with the others.

I have a new set of props on the way. But I shirt off doubt that will be it since it changes in relation to being in GPS or atti modes. We'll see what happens with new props though.

KMW said:
I have a new set of props on the way. But I shirt off doubt that will be it since it changes in relation to being in GPS or atti modes. We'll see what happens with new props though.
'

Keep you shirt on, :) Just kiddin' shirt and sort start and end with the same letters and have 3 of the same letters. Other then that, auto spell correct is a wonderful thing but it sure can change the meaning of things.

I await to hear your tests and how it all goes. I have seen some pretty funny flying when the props and not right. And they don't have to really look bad to be bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20